Public Transport (1 Viewer)

mahuligan

HSC
i do wake up heaps early though..i always leave the house at 7 even though i could make it just before 9am at school if i catch a train just after 8..but sometimes im a minute late for the express..and the only train after that is a slow one that is late everynow and then..i cant really get up earlier than that, especially on a night where ive been doing an assessment till late!

the taxi idea is good though..even though itll cost a shitload. ill keep that in mind :)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Cape said:
I know how you feel. I can sometimes barely make it to a 9am lecture. And before anyone says go and catch an earlier train - I am on a 7am train from Strathfield - and a train at 6am from where I live. Yes, believe it or not, I struggle to make a 9am lecture, cause I have to go to Richmond for uni. And earlier trains on that line really don't exist!
I used to have to get a train at 7.30 to make my 9.30 lecture, and I would leave my house at 7. But that was only because I got a lift to the station, if I had to get there by public transport I would need to get another train and bus, and I'd probably have to leave my house before 6.30. Now that I am driving I can leave my house at 8.45.

Driving is probably marginally more expensive than public transport, but take into account the huge amount of extra time it takes driving is worth it. I can be home before the first train leaves wollongong when I drive.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
when i went to uni it took me 3 hours to get there and 3 hours back

so 6 hours a day was dedicated to travel..
thats 6 hours i could have been studying
6 hours of sleep i was lacking
then when i get home i would be so dead..
and most of my time was spent waiting for trains and changing trains and delayed trains and running late trains and busses and waiting for busses and it was such a bitch to get there

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
mahuligan said:
i do wake up heaps early though..i always leave the house at 7 even though i could make it just before 9am at school if i catch a train just after 8..but sometimes im a minute late for the express..and the only train after that is a slow one that is late everynow and then..i cant really get up earlier than that, especially on a night where ive been doing an assessment till late!

the taxi idea is good though..even though itll cost a shitload. ill keep that in mind :)
How about finishing them earlier

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I used to have to get a train at 7.30 to make my 9.30 lecture, and I would leave my house at 7. But that was only because I got a lift to the station, if I had to get there by public transport I would need to get another train and bus, and I'd probably have to leave my house before 6.30. Now that I am driving I can leave my house at 8.45.

Driving is probably marginally more expensive than public transport, but take into account the huge amount of extra time it takes driving is worth it. I can be home before the first train leaves wollongong when I drive.
I used to get a lift to parra station. But because we have a 4WD it uses a lot of petrol, so I told my parents to stop giving me lifts and I'd wake up an hour earlier and go to strathfield and catch the train there.

Its just annoying when trains come every once an hour or they terminate where they aren't supposed to. I even had one train the other week that stopped Seven Hills and then no stations until Central. But I get a lot of my work done on trains - which is the only positive side I can think of about having train delays.

mahuligan

HSC
sometimes you have a bazzilion due right next to eachother..its not uncommon for a hsc'er to be up late!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
soha said:
when i went to uni it took me 3 hours to get there and 3 hours back

so 6 hours a day was dedicated to travel..
thats 6 hours i could have been studying
6 hours of sleep i was lacking
then when i get home i would be so dead..
and most of my time was spent waiting for trains and changing trains and delayed trains and running late trains and busses and waiting for busses and it was such a bitch to get there
Thats crazy. If it was taking me 6 hours a day to get to uni I would move.

dimzi

OMGWTFBBQ
HSC
The friggin government is stupid.

They really do need to shift their focus to building more public transport infrastructure, and improving the current one! Cityrail for example, everyone knows how bad it is, it needs to be fixed. The clearways plan that is being introduced in who-knows-when is a start, but all it will do is ensure delays on one line will not have a flow on effect to the rest of the rail network. Why not provide solutions for the causes instead of the results?

And the prices, the thought that the government is pursuing a 'break-even' approach is stupid, Cityrail has never been a profit making area for the government, and pumping up prices will not help it! People would just end up taking cheaper, alternative options, which would unfortunately put more cars on the road.

The short term thinking of the government, or any government for that matter, really fucking pisses me off. We're the generation that will have to put up with the shit that happens as a result of governments not having the foresight to see what would be best for the future.

Thank god i'll be voting next time, but its hopeless seeing as thought John Brogden is a fucking tool.

tempco

HSC
well, i only have a 20-30 minute train ride, and i try to read something... anything on the train.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yes i agree they cannot tell people to catch public transport when it is inconvenient. if they fix it and have perks (the bus lanes are great) then people will catch public transport

iamsickofyear12

HSC
dimzi said:
They really do need to shift their focus to building more public transport infrastructure, and improving the current one! Cityrail for example, everyone knows how bad it is, it needs to be fixed.
Cityrail cannot be fixed, it is too screwed up. It needs to be completely bulldozed and started from scratch, which isn't possible. So that really means that it will never be fixed.

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
nekkid said:
well think about it this way. japans train system is awesome, but they had a crash recently because theyre electronic automatic braking system (which was old by japans standards) failed on them when the driver was speeding (he was 1 minute late).

im happy with the actual trains, but if they were on time more often, itd be dandy.
Its interesting that someone brought up Japan's rail network. On major intercity services in Japan, if the train is more than 10 minutes late, the rail operator has to refund the fare. Remarkably, trains dont arrive that late in Japan (they often exceed speed limits to get trains to destination on time).

The unfortunate thing with that happening in Sydney is:
a. RailCorp would go bankrupt coz so many late trains would result in refunds
b. we'd have a lot more rail fatalities (since our track quality is nowhere near as good as Japan's)

At the end of the day, rail is just one of those problems for the govt. that just doenst seem to go away.

tempco

HSC
on another note, if someone commits suicide using the train youre on, you get a note which excuses you from a pay cut for arriving late to work.

well, thats what i heard from someone whos been to japan.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
mr_shittles said:
Its interesting that someone brought up Japan's rail network. On major intercity services in Japan, if the train is more than 10 minutes late, the rail operator has to refund the fare. Remarkably, trains dont arrive that late in Japan (they often exceed speed limits to get trains to destination on time).

The unfortunate thing with that happening in Sydney is:
a. RailCorp would go bankrupt coz so many late trains would result in refunds
b. we'd have a lot more rail fatalities (since our track quality is nowhere near as good as Japan's)

At the end of the day, rail is just one of those problems for the govt. that just doenst seem to go away.
More pople use the trains in Japan each day than there are in Sydney. If they can do it, I don't see why we can't.

tempco

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
More pople use the trains in Japan each day than there are in Sydney. If they can do it, I don't see why we can't.
i dont think a comparison between japans railway system and australias railway system is any where near justifiable.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
nekkid said:
i dont think a comparison between japans railway system and australias railway system is any where near justifiable.
Ok not just Japans, there are plenty of places in the world where the rail systems actually work properly.

Hippy La-Laa

Stupid Pixie.
HSC
Ugh. The other day all the trains going to Hornsby terminated at Gordon so when I got on, so did another 400 people and the train was already packed having come from Central. I was forced to stand underneath some smelly man's armpit. Not a pleasant experience.

:mad:

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
similar to Japan, if our rail system was ANYTHING like the metro system in paris, we would not have this problem. I think (and yes it is expensive) that the only way to get cityrail to work effectively is to overhaul the entire system

tempco

HSC
did anyone read that article in the daily telegraph about airy fairy plans (or proposals) to build new railway systems in a certain area (i think it was strathfield... something to do with abandoned M4 tunnels?). they made comparisons to london's tube railways, and the railway systems of paris and new york if im not mistaken. pretty ambitions i must say.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)