Q: Using 'reference' images found online when painting... (1 Viewer)

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Ok, I have a question... I'm sure this is answered somewhere in the syllabus, but before I go reading through hundreds of pages I thought I'd ask you guys first.

What are the rules with using images online for the basis of your paintings? For example, say I wanted to do a portrait of a child, could I just find a photo online and just straight out copy it? I understand its different if you are abstracting it a lot, because one probably wouldn't even know, but where is the line between 'appropriating' an image and just straight out 'copying'? If you're aiming for hyperrealism, for example?

If I found a photo on deviantart, and I ask the artists permission, am I then allowed to use it for a reference for a painting?
Or do I have to take my own photos?

D:

Eee

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
If the artist of the photograph gave you permission then you can use it.
Mind you I used a load of photos off Google and concert booklets as references for my BOW and my teachers had no problems with it and neither did the Board and three of my works were pretty realistic.

Last edited:

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Ok cool, thankyou! And yes, I also wondered about stuff from google images... Good to know you had no problems :)

Cinnamonster

Somewhere in the general vicinity of the Universe
HSC
My only other advice is to give credit in your VAPD. I did that for the pictures I borrowed from devART (even though I didn't end up painting any of them I still had them in my book so I gave credit and wrote that I used them with permission from the artists). And I just stuck the references for everything else in the VAPD too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)