Qn to the modern day Muslim youth... (1 Viewer)

ManalA

HSC
burka no. never.
hijab yeah, i'd wear it of my own free will. don't know when though.

Last edited:

ManalA

HSC
& i think the issue about being conservative is about different interpretations of the term 'modest'. go to an extremist Islamic society & modesty is wearing the burqa. Western society considers the burqa oppression, not modesty.

Yo1anda

HSC
yeah and everywhere hijab is oppression because your men can walk around topless while you cant even show your ELBOWS

Chrissiieee

HSC
i hate it when clearly gorgeous muslim girls hide underneath the hijab

such a shame

Yo1anda

HSC
yeah

friend is taking off her hijab next week

everyones like OMG U BRING SHAME TO US

except me im like woohoo sexy

mofo1

Banned
HSC
u 're d one who is different from da human race u pimple faced slut

i dun care who i married as longy i get roughy sex babe!

Last edited:

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
i would make her dress from head to toe in a black burqa, with only a small rectangle for her to see through (covered with a veil of course)

FlipX

HSC
accceptable:

arab/persian/paki/afghan/turk etc
armenian/greek/italian/turk/maltese
maybe some types of african

white, asian, islander
much too different
For parents though, right? I'd think that our generation, haven grown up in Australia, wouldn't really buy into the idea that race/culture is really a barrier.

OP, I spot a problem: If a woman's oppressed, would she really be on teh internets?

Can't speak for myself, but I have known savvy, educated Muslim girls who have chosen to wear the hijab of their own volition.

Another angle: Is it still oppression if you've been brought up to believe that not covering is unacceptable? Where do we draw the line in defining this?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
i would make her dress from head to toe in a black burqa, with only a small rectangle for her to see through (covered with a veil of course)
umm.. that's the bit that's called a burqa

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
o i know
i was just trying to emphasize the point

Yo1anda

HSC
For parents though, right? I'd think that our generation, haven grown up in Australia, wouldn't really buy into the idea that race/culture is really a barrier.

OP, I spot a problem: If a woman's oppressed, would she really be on teh internets?

Can't speak for myself, but I have known savvy, educated Muslim girls who have chosen to wear the hijab of their own volition.

Another angle: Is it still oppression if you've been brought up to believe that not covering is unacceptable? Where do we draw the line in defining this?
Well, I'm not australian born though i've been here for the better part of my life; my family is rather strict, all our family friends are of the same culture and as I grow older I can't help but see a tendency to gravitate towards people of similar backgrounds. I can marvel and gawk at many white Australians and their incredibly independent, free lifestyles... but I have no idea what it's like, and I would not share much in common with them just because we've been raised VERY DIFFERENTLY, though I'm proud to call myself Aussie. AND an atheist.

I really dont know how I'd fare in a relationship with someone with a freer lifestyle, especially if said relationship would eventuate into marriage and childrearing.

As for your "If a girls oppressed would she be on the internet".. well, it depends. I mean, I'm guessing having a daughter that's a net addict is okay for most parents as long as she's a virgin. You can enslave and torture an animal but you do have to feed it sometimes.

Not sure what your last question means. If youre raised into believing that being covered is the only acceptable form of dress- that's not just oppression that's brainwashing.

FlipX

HSC
Not sure what your last question means. If youre raised into believing that being covered is the only acceptable form of dress- that's not just oppression that's brainwashing.
Not necessarily true - we all adhere to culture norms to some extent, so if you were raised in a culture that promoted the burqa and you honestly believed that it was the thing to do, then is it still oppression?

I guess I was just wondering out loud how free we truly are from our upbringings. If a dress code was foisted upon a girl against her will, then sure, that's not cool. But if she agrees, is it pitiable ignorance or applaudable empowerment on her part?

Blah blah blah... lol Where are the practicing Muslim ladies on this forum, anyway?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Not necessarily true - we all adhere to culture norms to some extent, so if you were raised in a culture that promoted the burqa and you honestly believed that it was the thing to do, then is it still oppression?

I guess I was just wondering out loud how free we truly are from our upbringings. If a dress code was foisted upon a girl against her will, then sure, that's not cool. But if she agrees, is it pitiable ignorance or applaudable empowerment on her part?

Blah blah blah... lol Where are the practicing Muslim ladies on this forum, anyway?
Why does it have to be empowerment maybe she doesn't want to be looked at sexually by men?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)