Question about dropping from Advanced to Standard(English) (1 Viewer)

arjungamer123

HSC
Hi people

Anyway, I'm just facing a tough question right now. See, I'm aiming for 99 UAI, and I feel that at this stage, the only thing thats holding me back from that is English Advanced. I feel that I could fare better in Standard, and I could do well in it, as in my latest English ADV. assessment task, I got a shocking 66%, after working my ass off for 2 weeks straight.

So 2 questions actually:

1. Can I drop to Standard even though Yr12 has already commenced?
2. Should I do it?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
arjungamer123 said:
Hi people

Anyway, I'm just facing a tough question right now. See, I'm aiming for 99 UAI, and I feel that at this stage, the only thing thats holding me back from that is English Advanced. I feel that I could fare better in Standard, and I could do well in it, as in my latest English ADV. assessment task, I got a shocking 66%, after working my ass off for 2 weeks straight.

So 2 questions actually:

2. Should I do it?
Um...66% is not too bad. But if in terms of ranks, if you feel that it is holding you back and if you are genuinely not interested in the texts that you are about to learn in Englihs (Advanced), consider dropping to English (Standard).

By the way, having English (Standard) is not going to hold you back unless you can do really well in it (like 1st in your year and probably high Band 5 in it). Many of my school's Duxes have been English (Standard) students where they got as high as 99.90 UAI to 99.45 UAI. It's definitely possible.

About your first question, you will have to ask your school about that.

arjungamer123

HSC
Yeah. I got 80th out of 173 people.

And I'm not interested in Gwen Harwood's crappy poems.

"

Re: Question about dropping from Advanced to Standard(English)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjungamer123
Hi people

So 2 questions actually:

2. Should I do it?

Um...66% is not too bad. But if in terms of ranks, if you feel that it is holding you back and if you are genuinely not interested in the texts that you are about to learn in Englihs (Advanced), consider dropping to English (Standard).

By the way, having English (Standard) is not going to hold you back unless you can do really well in it (like 1st in your year and probably high Band 5 in it). Many of my school's Duxes have been English (Standard) students where they got as high as 99.90 UAI to 99.45 UAI. It's definitely possible.

This comment confuses me, should there be an "if" instead of "unless"? That would allow it to make more sense...

But yeah I know what you're saying. I reckon I could do well in Standard, and get a high band 5, so it would not hold me back. Thanks lyounamu.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
arjungamer123 said:
Yeah. I got 80th out of 173 people.

And I'm not interested in Gwen Harwood's crappy poems.

"

Re: Question about dropping from Advanced to Standard(English)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjungamer123
Hi people

So 2 questions actually:

2. Should I do it?

This comment confuses me, should there be an "if" instead of "unless"? That would allow it to make more sense...

But yeah I know what you're saying. I reckon I could do well in Standard, and get a high band 5, so it would not hold me back. Thanks lyounamu.
Hahahaha...lol!

That's what brain does to you if you post as soon as you wake up from all nighter.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
If you go searching there is a document (either on BOS or the UAC website) which shows the highest UAIs which people achieve doing certain subjects.
You will find that with almost any subject you can achieve a UAI of 99.95 or 100, if you think you can do better in standard then go for it!

TunaFish

HSC
Have you tried options such as tutoring?

And I suggest that you think long and hard about what you're going to do.
I know of several people who have dropped to Standard but have regretted their decision.

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
TunaFish said:
Have you tried options such as tutoring?
sarcasm
No, tutoring is for fools.

What you need to do is drop to Standard - your results will pick up immediately, and you can then forget about any of life's hassles as you coast through to a UAI of 99.5 (at least). You can trust me, random person, I'm only looking out for your best interests. Good luck :)

risole91

I'm Coming Home
HSC
DON'T DO IT.

I did standard english regretably.
Finished 2/87 at my school.
Will at absolute best get a low low band 5, but more then likely a high band 4.

I wish i did advanced, tbh i would've got a medium band 5.

Stick it out, trust me, you will regret it.

TunaFish

HSC
bell531 said:
sarcasm
No, tutoring is for fools.

What you need to do is drop to Standard - your results will pick up immediately, and you can then forget about any of life's hassles as you coast through to a UAI of 99.5 (at least). You can trust me, random person, I'm only looking out for your best interests. Good luck :)
Right.
Are you stupid?

Dan2008

HSC
I wouldn't drop to Standard, simply because it is so hard to get the grade you'll (they only give around 20 Band 6's in the state!)

English Advanced continues to be a subject where you can mould a memorised essay in the exam and get top marks!

I'd work with your teacher to come up with these top responses! And learn all your techniques inside out, it'll help stax!

But, if you're certain you want to drop make sure you do it before your standard class starts with their modules texts!

If you needed any other advice man just PM me :)

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
TunaFish said:
Right.
Are you stupid?
Haha, gotcha. I knew I'd catch someone. Read the very first line of my original post...:)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I suggest you don't... you might have worked yoru arse of for 2 weeks but perhaps not effectively or in the right way.

I'd ask your teacher for extra help etc and as people said, it's really hard to get a band 6 for standard english.

didier91

HSC
Stick with Advanced.

You will probably find yourself working harder for Standard than you would be for Advanced if you are trying to attain your desired UAI. The marking scheme for Standard English is quite tough, they give out VERY few Band 6's.

Advanced was a bit of a bore with the poetry this term I agree but it will pick up, the new Area of Study: Belonging is quite interesting and has HEAPS of related texts for you to choose from.

You will regret dropping to Standard and I think your UAI will suffer to be honest. Sure you CAN get 99.5 or whatever it is, but realistically it would be very difficult.

PM me if you got any questions.

M@ster P

HSC
arjungamer123 said:
Hi people

So 2 questions actually:

2. Should I do it?
All I can say is that by doing standard english you are in a way setting a parameter for yourself, meaning that the highest mark you can get is basically a band 5, a band 6 is basically impossible like 20 people get band 6 out of 30000, band 5 is like 2 percent so 600 people?

Where as advanced english is like 7 percent for band 6 and 30+ percent for band 5, so you can see that the better marks favour advanced students, but that doesn't its a free ride, it requires a lot of hard work to get a band 6 and similarly a band 5.

I would drop to standard as well but I feel there's just too many factors against doing it, ranking plays a MAJOR ROLE in standard, you would really have to be top and 1st in your school to have any small chance of achieving a band 6 let alone a band 5.

Please make your decision carefully, look if your struggling in advanced english and you feel you can't improve or can't be bothered then drop, you would probably do better in standard.

Last edited:
HSC
I got 6/20 course rank for the prelim yr. (haha, small class, i know)
But im worried about my exam mark, i mean, I get good marks is assessments, but not exams.
I dont know weather to drop to standard coz im aiming for 85+ UAI?
I have recently finished and recieved our 1st yr 12 assessment task (which most of the time i go good in) and got a 13 out of 15 which is an A-, rank equal 6th.

Should i drop to standard, or try harder (somehow improve my exam marks)?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
kingnothing999 said:
I got 6/20 course rank for the prelim yr. (haha, small class, i know)
But im worried about my exam mark, i mean, I get good marks is assessments, but not exams.
I dont know weather to drop to standard coz im aiming for 85+ UAI?
I have recently finished and recieved our 1st yr 12 assessment task (which most of the time i go good in) and got a 13 out of 15 which is an A-, rank equal 6th.

Should i drop to standard, or try harder (somehow improve my exam marks)?
As I mentioned before, it is definitely possible to get 99+ UAI with English (Standard). As a matter of fact, you can even get 100 UAI. My school Dux got 99.90 UAI with Band 5 in English (Standard). My other school Dux got 99.45 UAI with English (Standard). I can list tonnes of people who got 99+ with English (Standard) but not just from the top off my head...hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)