Question regarding my studies... (1 Viewer)

Snitch2007

HSC
Hey

I'm currently in Year 12 and am a little confused by something.

I study 2 Unit Mathematics, and am finding it hard. If I can get over 50% in assessment tasks, I'm happy.

I realise I need to fix this problem, so I'm now studying 2 hours of Maths a night.

I do 12 units, therefore 2 units will not count. I'm still sure even though I'm doing 2 hours of maths a night, this will be my worst subject and won't be counted towards my UAI.

Should I dedicate this 2 hours to other studies to improve my mark to hopefully get a higher UAI, or concentrate on fixing up Maths, even though it more than likely won't be counted?

Road Runner

HSC
Well if you are really doing bad like getting less than 50% in assessments, then I think you should just focus on your other subjects. It would have been better if you dropped down to general maths at the end of year 11, but it's too late now....

Good Luck anyways.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Snitch2007 said:
Should I dedicate this 2 hours to other studies to improve my mark to hopefully get a higher UAI, or concentrate on fixing up Maths, even though it more than likely won't be counted?
As another HSC Mathematics student, I truly understand the rocky path you are walking. Mathematics is very important regardless of what university course you want to undetake or any course at anywhere.

However, you should not be doing Maths if you are expecting around 50% for your assessment mark. If you think that you can lift that mark from 50% to 80% just by studying 2 hours a night, I highly recommend you to do so since Maths has a good scaling. However, if you still think that you cannot achieve anything from it, drop it. You can put that 2 hours into better use. One of my best friend is an absolute genius in English. He complelte loathed Maths but he still managed to get 99+ UAI with his brilliant mark in English (2, Extension 1, 2), History (Ancient, Modern, Extension), Economics and Studies of Religion I.

So you have to think a lot of ways in which you can improve your Maths or to put that 2 hours a night into better uses.

Cheers

Zephyrio

HSC
Why put yourself through the agony when you could be doing other subjects?

jonaxiang

HSC
I'm kinda also doing crap at maths too and i need it for uni:( . My last prelim end of year exam for maths i got like 41% lol. Thank God that wasn't my first HSC task..Anyhow i got 65% for my 2 unit maths HSC test from term 4. Ranked about 17/44 lol. Any chance i might get a band 5 at least :|

Prosper

HSC
Road Runner said:
Well if you are really doing bad like getting less than 50% in assessments, then I think you should just focus on your other subjects. It would have been better if you dropped down to general maths at the end of year 11, but it's too late now....

Good Luck anyways.
I always thought for some reason that you could drop to general, oh well makes sense. Just like how 4U can't drop to just 3U if they haven't done the 2U assessments.

soap~

Legal Eagle
HSC
You probably could drop.

The thing is general covers different things, by now you'd have to catch up a lot. It wouldn't be worth the effort probably.

Snitch2007

HSC
The thing is, I know I will do much better in my half yearlies and HSC exams if I do this 2 hours a night.

In Year 11, I was lucky to do 45-60 mins of Maths a night, which explains my 50% marks - also, I was still ranked around 25/40.

I know I will improve in Maths, the thing is. . . I don't know by how much which is why I'm so confused.

I guess I'll wait till I get my Half Yearly marks and decide from there.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Lol. 50% marks from doing 45-60 mins of Maths a night? In prelim? No way :rofl:

HSC
Snitch2007 said:
In Year 11, I was lucky to do 45-60 mins of Maths a night, which explains my 50% marks - also, I was still ranked around 25/40.
If you're only getting 50% after doing that kind of study you need to question whether maths is for you.

LiiL

HSC
N/A
Snitch2007 said:
Hey

I'm currently in Year 12 and am a little confused by something.

I study 2 Unit Mathematics, and am finding it hard. If I can get over 50% in assessment tasks, I'm happy.

I realise I need to fix this problem, so I'm now studying 2 hours of Maths a night.

I do 12 units, therefore 2 units will not count. I'm still sure even though I'm doing 2 hours of maths a night, this will be my worst subject and won't be counted towards my UAI.

Snitch2007 i'm in the exact same situation!
i don't know if it's worth keeping! it takes up so much time...
and i also haven't been doing so well in the assessment tasks so grrrr
yeah i dont know what to do either...

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
lyounamu said:
Mathematics is very important regardless of what university course you want to undetake or any course at anywhere.
Seriously, I know so many people who are doing commerce & engineering degrees now without having done any math subjects at school and they're doing extremely well.

If math is your weakest subject and it wont end up counting towards your uai, drop it and save yourself the trouble.

williamc

HSC
Id say drop to general.

Someone struggling for the pass in 2 unit, will be around the band 5/6 cutoff in general. A 90 in general would most probably count towards your UAI.

tanjin said:
Seriously, I know so many people who are doing commerce & engineering degrees now without having done any math subjects at school and they're doing extremely well.
lol nice bs.

if you dont do any form of senior maths at all, you would be fucked for an engineering degree.

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
williamc said:
lol nice bs.
There'd be no point in me lying here. He's getting credits and distinctions, which says more than enough.

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
Why don't you try going to coaching?

A friend of mine got like Band 4 for his SC Maths, and then his parents sent him to coaching, and then he got 97 for his HSC Maths Mark.

Trust me. It helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)