Question relating to Hsc marking (1 Viewer)

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
If a Hsc question says 'Give TWO examples of ....' and I give 3, will I get marked down or will they only mark the best 2 out of 3 and give me the two marks?

SuperMike96

HSC
I would imagine they would only mark the best two out of three. However, doing three would impede on your ability to provide two in depth examples.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Hmmm.

I am reading the question as 'give two examples', not 'give at least two examples'.

I think they will mark the best two, but I need context with the particular question (depends if your examples are overlapping with other stuff or are completely dependent).

Links back to a classmate of mine who did all 3 geography essays in his trials instead of 2/3. As mentioned above it will impede on your ability to write 2 in more detail.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Recommend TWO additional types of data that could be used for evaluating the
effectiveness of the global polio vaccination program.
Exact question from the Hsc with 'TWO' capitalized like that

enoilgam

HSC
They could either mark the first two out of the three or the best two, I'm not sure which (cem would probably know which). But that's only if the question asks "give two examples", not "give at least two".

D94

HSC
N/A
Marking the "best two" implies they have marked all 3. They would just mark the first 2 and move on.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Recommend TWO additional types of data that could be used for evaluating the
effectiveness of the global polio vaccination program.
Exact question from the Hsc with 'TWO' capitalized like that
Probably the first two, having searched the Q up on Google.

However the marker will probably have a small chuckle considering you have listed three in a 2 mark question. (I would think that recommend (as the directive), in this context, basically means identify?)

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Yeah identify. I was asking this because if I'm unsure whether the two I provide are correct or not, so I could provide 3 just in case one of the two are wrong

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
It it says give two, only give two. I know that if you give 3, but one is wrong. You won't get two marks. This will be taken less lightly, especially when the exam itself is easy, and people need to be differentiated.

Last edited:

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Why waste time attempting 3.... Just do two if it asks for two. The marginal cost is greater than the marginal benefit .

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmmm.
Links back to a classmate of mine who did all 3 geography essays in his trials instead of 2/3. As mentioned above it will impede on your ability to write 2 in more detail.
Our teacher gave benefit of the doubt, she mentioned that in the actual HSC, markers will simply read the first two.

I was asking this because if I'm unsure whether the two I provide are correct or not, so I could provide 3 just in case one of the two are wrong
Sorry man, thats not the case. Markers simply won't be lenient. If that was the case, everyone would be writing several answers in the event they were unsure one was right.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
If I was marking, I would give 0 but I mark extremely harshly.

In HSC, especially science, they can mark very harshly as well. I know someone that got 0/3 for a calculation they got correct because it wasn't in the right form of a calculation.

Example of Good Form (3/3):
m=55g, M=55g/mol

n=m/M
n=55/55
n=1mol
Example of Bad Form (0/3):
mass is 55 grams and molecular mass is 55 grams per mole.

Therefore, the number of moles is mass/molecular mass and hence, number of moles is 1.

Last edited:

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
This is the type of question that will vary from subject to subject. Whenever I came across it in Modern History all three were marked and two given marks regardless of whether the third one is given - but we no longer get those types of questions.

Kobweb

HSC
N/A
I asked an HSC marker (at leasr for economics) if they ask for two and three are given, they will mark the best two, but she said it will impede on your ability to finish the rest of the exam as you are wasting time...

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I asked an HSC marker (at leasr for economics) if they ask for two and three are given, they will mark the best two, but she said it will impede on your ability to finish the rest of the exam as you are wasting time...
It depends, you can't merely have a safety net if you are unsure, ie an answer that ends up being so incorrect, cannot be counter-acted with a correct answer.
Year to year it varies, on the difficulty of the exam paper, and whether there needs to be greater/lower internal scaling. If the paper is really easy, the board is gonna differentiate people being more strict upon responses.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Just an FYI, university markers tend to mark the entire question wrong if you answer a question above what is being asked for.

I wouldn't recommend getting into the habit tbh.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Another question relating to HSC marking- Say there is a 3 mark question asking for an explanation of something and I say something incorrect, but also mention the 3 'things' they were looking for, will I get the 3 marks or will I get marked down for providing something wrong? Common sense says I won't, since people don't get negative marks.

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
If there are contradictions in your answer, they will take marks off. Not sure about random info being wrong though.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Another question relating to HSC marking- Say there is a 3 mark question asking for an explanation of something and I say something incorrect, but also mention the 3 'things' they were looking for, will I get the 3 marks or will I get marked down for providing something wrong? Common sense says I won't, since people don't get negative marks.
I reckon you'll lose marks.

It's like answering both B and C in multiple choice and hoping one of them is right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)