questions about 64 bit windows xp (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Hi ppl,
I dont know much about this stuff, but when i get my new laptop soon, which comes with vista, i'd like to change to xp. Also im getting 4gigs of ram, so to fully take advantage of all 4gigs i'd need a 64 bit version of windows xp. I have a few questions regarding 64 bit OS's:

What are the main differences between getting Windows XP 64 bit and 64 bit professional?

Also, does it make any difference if i get the OS from america instead of here in oz?

What are the advantages and disadvangages of 64-bit operating systems?

Also, in regards to changing the OS of a laptop, would u need to load all the keyboard shortcuts into the new OS after i get rid of vista? If so, does this disc normally come with the laptop? I am getting an ASUS M51sn, 2.6GHz, 9600M graphics (512mb), 4gigs ram, and getting it from america, since i can get it cheaper there from someone i know.

If i can remember, i'll post more questions.
Thanx :)

HSC
Hi there

What are the main differences between getting Windows XP 64 bit and 64 bit professional?
nothing, they only released an xp professional 64 bit

Also, does it make any difference if i get the OS from america instead of here in oz?
no i don't think so

What are the advantages and disadvangages of 64-bit operating systems?
advantages: your available RAM won't max out at like 3.2gb or something, and if you are using 64 bit applications, these applications are supposedly faster

disadvantages: hardly any applications atm are 64 bit, so you will have to run most applications in emulated 32 bit mode, which is not quite as fast as under a native 32 bit OS.

but the biggest problem you are going to encounter is drivers.

have a look on the manufacturers website for whatever laptop you are considering and ensure that you can download the appropriate drivers for XP 64 bit. i suspect that most laptops don't come with drivers for non-default operating systems, but you might be lucky

if you do not have the correct drivers, then the laptop will not perform as it should and you would be better off with whatever operating system the laptop came with.

vista really isn't that bad, and runs well provided you have at least 2gb of RAM and a dual core processor.

getting it from america, since i can get it cheaper there from someone i know.
the only risk with this is that if something goes wrong with laptop, i don't think it will be serviced under warranty in Australia, so you will need to fork out to have it shipped over to the US. most laptops do not have international warranty.

ASUS M51sn, 2.6GHz, 9600M graphics (512mb), 4gigs ram
looks good, could i ask how much you are paying for it?

hope this helps!

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
On the asus website, it says, under this laptop, that it has:

- 2-year limited global hardware warranty *different by country
- 1-year battery pack warranty
- On-line problem resolution through web interface (BIOS, Driver update)
- OS (Microsoft Windows Vista) install/uninstall consultation
- Bundled software install/uninstall consultation
- ASUS software supporting
http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=2026&l1=5&l2=74&l3=604&l4=0

I saw it at jb hifi today, but stock configuration of the upper model, so 3gigs ram, not 4, and it was for $2009, which compared to a maxxed out xps m1530, is an awesome price, being at least 500$ cheaper, and still better in performance, minus the dell having 1 gig ram more. So..$2009 here, and someone i know can get it cheaper, so i guess its a good deal!

I doubt anything will go wrong anyway, the one im on now was from america too and its been fine for the past 4 yrs we've had it, apart from ageing...

But thanx for the reply :D:D

Evilo

HSC
the 2nd poster is right - ive got 32 bit and 4gb ram and it maxes out in the 3.5gb sort of region.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
I have more questions, but not about 64bit os..(cbf'd making new thread).

I will be using this laptop for uni work, watching dvds (sometimes), watching tv (sometimes, inbuilt tv tuner ftw!), and playing games (like crysis, cod4, ut3, new ones, possibly ones released in the next year or so).

Would i benefit from putting xp professional on my laptop?

It comes with vista ultimate, but a certain cad program, CATIA, that i use for a uni course, doesnt come in a vista version, although i can just do my drawings at uni.
Is it worth putting xp professional on the laptop to replace vista ultimate?
What will be better in the long run?
For gaming, which one would be better, in the long run?

Revised specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo T9400 (2.53GHz), 4Gb ram, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (512mb), 320Gb hard drive.

Thanx!

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
I would use vista 64 bit, without 64 bit you can only use 3 gigs,
Vista is better for gaming in the long run

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Hm..64-bit has the above mentioned problem of drivers, and i read somewhere something about how vista keeps some memory in reserve for something...dunno what it was talkin about but usually 32-bit vista reads up to about 3.5gb, which is fine.

So vista ultimate is good then?
Any other opinions?

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
The max vista 32 bit will read is 3 gb, it will tell you it has 4 but will not use the last one If your computer comes with 4gb it should have 64 bit anyway. It is faster then 32 bit too.

scottath

HSC
Go with vista x64 - much better and much faster than x86 version.
got it running on both of my better systems (overclocked gaming system and on my laptop - both with 2gb of ram)

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
networkmaster said:
XP x64 is unstable at the best of times, better of with x32 or sticking with vista
you can not with 4 gigs of ram.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Hm..now that i got my laptop and all my uni work and games on it, if i were to get vista 64bit, would i have to reinstall everything? Or all the files will still be there? Also, how do i know if my hardware can take it? Is there a way of checking?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
ok so im getting vista ultimate x64, woot!
Would i still lose everything if i just upgrade from my current vista ultimate x86 to vista ultimate x64?
And also, what are all the drivers that i would need, i know graphics drivers, what else?

madrooster

<?php exploit(); ?>
HSC
networkmaster said:
XP x64 is unstable at the best of times, better of with x32 or sticking with vista
Actually no, XP 64bit is more stable than XP 32bit, as well as both Vistas.

XP 64bit is based on the Windows 2003 server core, whereas XP 32bit is based on the Windows 2000 Professional core.

Windows 2003 server > windows 2000 professional come stability.

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
madrooster said:
Actually no, XP 64bit is more stable than XP 32bit, as well as both Vistas.

XP 64bit is based on the Windows 2003 server core, whereas XP 32bit is based on the Windows 2000 Professional core.

Windows 2003 server > windows 2000 professional come stability.
Negatory. XP 32bit is more stable than 64bit, mainly due to the lack of drivers that were available when it was first out. And since MS found that it wasn't making much money from 64bit, they sortoa discontinued support for it.

In regarding to Vista vs XP for gaming, you're wrong. XP is better for gaming currently and in the near future. If you want to future proof, wait for the new windows to be developed *Windows 7* which is a totally new OS built from ground up, instead of using the Kernel from XP like Vista did.

Regardless, vista will always be less efficient than XP. And if you're buying vista for dx10; don't bother.... dx10 isn't being used as it should be by game developers. All they are using it for is to create additional eyecandy at a greater FPS hit.

But if you were to need a 64bit OS, use Vista. Despite the clunkiness of vista, there's more support for it then XP 64bit. Also, remember to turn off superfetch. That'll kill your batterylife/hard-drive.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Ok .. currently i have vista ultimate x86 on my laptop, and i'd like to utilise all of my 4gb of ram. I just wanna confirm something: if i were to put vista ultimate x64 on my laptop, would my hard drive be wiped empty, would i have to re-install all my programs and back up all my uni files? Earlier in this thread someone said that everything will be wiped and i'd need to back up whatever and re-install whatever, but a friend of mine, who knows heaps about computers, says its only a matter of upgrading the operating system and it wouldnt wipe my hdd empty.

Confirmations plz?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
You require a clean installation.

32bit --> 64bit is NOT an upgrade. There's a whole lot of coding that is required to be installed and upgrading from 32bit to 64bit would leave a whole bundle of errors.

Your friend who know heaps about computers is wrong. It's (basically) a new version the operating system.

Plus, upgrading would leave so much clutter on ur computer.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
shinji said:
You require a clean installation.

32bit --> 64bit is NOT an upgrade. There's a whole lot of coding that is required to be installed and upgrading from 32bit to 64bit would leave a whole bundle of errors.

Your friend who know heaps about computers is wrong. It's (basically) a new version the operating system.

Plus, upgrading would leave so much clutter on ur computer.
yeah correct, it has to wipe the whole system

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)