Questions from a prospective student! (please help) (1 Viewer)

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
i paid cash for the uniforms but it mite change u never know.
u just try them on and then sometime in early first semester they set up stall at ur campus and u collect it from them.

HSC
Oh they changed it this yr last yr it was just credit cards on the day, prob cause theyre a diff supplier now.

Exams and OSCA's coming up soon... :(

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
lil_georgie_gal said:
Exams and OSCA's coming up soon... :(
I know! I'm really unprepared this semester... ive just been chucking all-nighters for assignments the nite b4 but i dont want to wing the OSCA lol

As far as I know, steths are all purple [the nursing pack recommended to buy]

HSC
oh u can pick what colour steth u want, i have light blue, but honestly it doesnt matter we barely use them, on the ward i use theres.

Trust me dont wing the OSCA lol use the prac labs and know each scenario off by heart and documentation, itll make the 40mins so much easier when u have someone standing over ur shoulder.

yea dw my 2nd sem has been all over the place prob cause we have 3 weeks of prac and weeks off all over the place.

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
documentation? do you mean just like how to document vital signs and FBC and stuff like that?

40 mins seems soo long!

HSC
Documentation also includes nursing notes at the end of it all, unless they dont make u do that in the first yr osca this yr??

Yea it flies by really quick once u have to start doing everything, and sometimes u dont use it all so dw.

purplemonkey

HSC
Hey guys...I have another question *sorry* :p but do they teach you pathology collection in the degree or is that learnt "on the job"? I am considering doing a Certificate III in Pathology Collection through Symbion before uni starts...

HSC
Blood collection is an accreditation you are taught in your hospital as an RN, we do not learn this at uni. Other pathology stuff such as urine, sputem, stool specimens we are taught to collect and how to send off etc.

HSC
Depends what youve had done. You may need to get a mantoux test done, but most others are common, as long as you have documentation for it all (or ur doc does) then you should be sweet.

shanti96

ya hasra and goodnight
HSC
hey do we have to get mantouxs and all the other stuff done again for nxt year or do we just use our immun. records from this year as evi.?

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
the immunisation records becomes evidence plus any serology tests you did for the levels. Just double check with mantoux.. some people say its done yearly whilst others say they're not. just double check the policy to see which one it is. I dont think its yearly though.

HSC
Nopes, unless ur immunisation runs out like dtp (u have to get a booster now and then) u shouldnt have to update anything, i havent had to get anything added during my 2nd yr.

Just check with your doctor if your unsure.

purplemonkey

HSC
hey, what is the quickest way to walk to UTS from Central? On open day I went down Eddy Ave then up George (?) St...but up the road a bit I saw stairs coming up from underground with Central signs, they were a lot closer to UTS but I couldn't tell where in Central they were from... :)

Also, I just saw that the timetable builder for next sem is up on the UTS website so I had a look and I am a bit confused about the enrolment for 92192 Adult Nursing: Repiratory. So, when it opens, do I enrol in this with all my other units even though it doesn't start until April? I sthis late start due to clinicals? Here is what I'm looking at:

https://mysubjects.uts.edu.au/aplus2009/aptimetable?fun=unit_select&flat_timetable=yes

Last edited:
HSC
Ok basically in first yr u do 2 nursing subs e.g. adult nursing resp and adult nursing cardio plus a pathophysiology and a tut-based subject e.g. discipline of nursing.

With the 2 Adult nursing subs they run for 1/2 the sem each. So first approx 7 weeks you will do cardio and then the next 7 weeks or so you will do respiratory. You enrol in all your subjects for the year (both aut and spring semesters) when you enrol at the start of the year :)

purplemonkey

HSC
Ok thanks Georgie!

So if my classes for cardio and resp clash it doesn't matter since they don't run in the same weeks? My timetable for Autumn is looking good atm!!

HSC
Yea no they wont clash in the actual sense, if they did the timetable maker wouldnt let it go through. When u select a class, itll have dates next to it on what days it runs, so yea they run on diff weeks so its fine :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)