Questions from a prospective student! (please help) (1 Viewer)

Peteage

HSC
lil_georgie_gal said:
Ummm about Notre Dame Peteage... what the 11 weeks clinical? Im pretty sure its not that much per year. Cause they would do about 2-3 weeks at the end of each semester so ends up being around 5-6 weeks all up. I know that even USYD dont do 11 weeks, esp in first yr. Maybe in the final yr they might do 11??

In regards to UTS in first yr you do 4 weeks all up and 5 weeks in 2nd yr u do 5 weeks all up. 3rd yr not entirely sure but its def alot more, ill find out soon when uni comes back...

And goodluck with offers guys :D
No really, I am positive, it is 5 weeks in first semester and 6 weeks second each year (http://www.nd.edu.au/downloads/courses/sydney/2009 Flyers/Nursing/B Nursing NOV 08.pdf).

Does anybody know when the UTS info day is? I know they where doing one in early January but I don't know where I put my letter which had the date.

swingsarekool

HSC
Last edited:
HSC
Ok that is strange 11 weeks in first yr :S I heard some ppl from ND and they were doing 3 weeks at the each semester... Maybe they changed it or something. That is alot alot of clinical, u should go there and ask about that, very interesting...

Nickytoto

HSC
11 weeks clinical makes me think, that must be why it goes into holidays...

HSC
Does that one now stock the nursing equipment too or just the books?? If u want the equipment i.e. watches, i know u can try the coop "bookshop" up near broadway shopping centre. U walk along george st all the way past uts and on the st where u turn right ull see an oportos on the corner and basically thats the way to the shopping mall and on that same st is the bookshop which stocks all medical stuff :)

Ivich

HSC
hey, just another question.
are we meant to have our first aid certificate? My friend said that i might have to, and shes doing exercise sport science or whatever. so, what do you say?

rivqah

HSC
hey, just another question.
are we meant to have our first aid certificate? My friend said that i might have to, and shes doing exercise sport science or whatever. so, what do you say?

nope, you don't need anything

Ivich

HSC
Also, i was thinking...since we have to receive all 3 doses of the hepatitis B vaccine, and that takes 6 months, how am i going to be able to do my clinical placement when it begins before i am able to get cleared for that?

rivqah

HSC
as long as you have the first one, you're good!

Ivich

HSC
oh excellent. thanks, saves me a bit of worrying :)

Nickytoto

HSC
Yeah, you just need to provide evidence that you've commenced the hep b course.

You don't need your first aid certificate but if I remember correctly you have to pass a short in-class CPR practical test, and get a sheet signed before going to clinical; it's very straight forward. You also have to practice doing blood pressure, it's a good idea to practice to get the hang of it before clinical. Other nurses seem to pretty much expect you to jump right in with baseline observations on the ward.

HSC
Yep no first aid certificate required, pretty sure thats med students who need that but they do get you to do an inclass cpr training and get signed off on that, dw its pretty straight forward :)

And yes i agree try and get a hang on doing manual BP's and practice that on the wards cause it took me a while to get the hang on listening for the sounds particularly when ur pt wants to talk to u at the same time lol but after a few goes ull be cool and usually on ur first clinical ur facilitator will spend prob an hr or so going around doing obs with u and will help u and sometimes double check so itll be alright :)

Ivich

HSC
thanks for all the replies.

I also wanted to know, are all of the classes held at building 10? And when are we going to find this out officially?

rivqah

HSC
Ok thanks guys, so what exactly comes in the equipment pack worth $111? Would you recommend getting that one?
the equipment pack has a stethoscope; cpr mask; fob watch; scissors; pen; pen torch; safety glasses; thermometer...i think that's it unless anyone can think of anything else?

you need to buy the id holder seperately which you will need.

but yes, get the equipment pack because otherwise you need to borrow the uni and hospital ones and no one likes sharing things that go in your ear.
and unless i'm mistaken, pretty sure you can't borrow a stethoscope so you wouldn't be able to practice with the sphygmos at home.

HSC
The uni has stethoscopes you can use. I bought a sthetoscope and have prob used its once since i began. I took my stethoscope to my first clinical and learnt that i could just use the stethoscopes there. All u have to do is alco wipe the parts that go into ur ear and its clean. Barely any nurses if any will carry a stethscope around with them, far too bulky when u have to try help pts with showers, bed baths, ambulating etc

Safety glasses and a thermometer are also not required either.... uni has ones which u use to practice with and the workplace will provide u with glasses and thermometers where necessary. Main thing is a fob watch, scissors, cpr mask for when u are practicing in class and the id holder.

I didnt buy a pack i just bought these things seperately.

HSC
An id holder is where u place ur student id card and crc in and attach it to your pants or shirt via a clip. Usually come on a retractable clip so it can be easily pulled around to show ppl who you are during clinical.

U can purchase this at the coop shop where they stock nursing/medical equipment.

Ivich

HSC
so yes, whats the deal...are all of our classes going to be in building 10 or are we going to venture off into another as well at times?

p.s. anyone going to orientation this monday?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)