Questions (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Ok I have two questions

1. It's only the 4th and I've used 43% of my netstats! I don't wanna get capped again. Any suggestions for slowing down my net usage?

2. I wanna take screenshots from a video, what program do I need?

Cheers

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
ok netstats is gone, you are on 3 gigs

you can try turning the pictures off, will save heaps when just surfing

watch lower quality trailers/movies/etc...

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
So netstats doesn't exist in any form anymore?

I miss my old unlimited thing, I never got capped :(

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
You think that is tough, you should try living on a 600MB download limit per month:mad:. You just have to stop downloading so many songs/movies or what ever you are downloading:). Also, don't bother about trailers at all, you get to see the movie in the end anyway and it makes it more exciting because you don't know what to expect:).

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Merethrond
You think that is tough, you should try living on a 600MB download limit per month:mad:. You just have to stop downloading so many songs/movies or what ever you are downloading:). Also, don't bother about trailers at all, you get to see the movie in the end anyway and it makes it more exciting because you don't know what to expect:).
LMAO!!

@ babydoll_

1) Well abstain i guess, you'll have to

2) This is providing you are using Windows Media Player, load it up, go to Tools> Options> Performance, Under Video Acceleration, Scroll the trackbar ( None ------------|------------ Full) from Full to None, and then restart the Media Player, and play your videos, and you can now take your screenshots the way you normally do, i.e. Press the PrntScrn button on your keyboard and go to Microsoft Paint and paste it there, i'd higly advise you to save it as a bitmap at first, and if you have Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Load the screenshot in there, and save it in JPEG, saving a image as JPEG under Photoshop 7.0 is far more better primarily because
Photoshop 7.0 uses the new JPEG 2000 technologies, which compresses the image like crazy with lossless quality.

I hope i've helped

- Winston

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by felix_js
ok netstats is gone, you are on 3 gigs

you can try turning the pictures off, will save heaps when just surfing

watch lower quality trailers/movies/etc...
Ahuh the only good thing about Optus's capped scheme is, you can't go over and pay more, bloody hell Tel$luts, argghh... there ok i guess, at least we have free content :D and you guys don't lol! :p

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Winston
Ahuh the only good thing about Optus's capped scheme is, you can't go over and pay more, bloody hell Tel$luts, argghh... there ok i guess, at least we have free content :D and you guys don't lol! :p
I'd rather be capped to 20Kbps than pay through the nose with Telstra.

If you can't sleep at night, or if you're bored,
http://files.bigpond.com
http://games.bigpond.com (formerly Game Arena/GA)

~1MB/s transfers for Telsta BPA (or BigPond Broadband Cable now) customers... I've reached about 1.2MB/s (double download, combined download rate, no segmenting/"accelerators").

Request a bunch of legal things and start leeching (if you can call it that) at 800-900KB/s -- LOL, or visit games.bigpond.* and watch all the trailers, entertainment/movies and technology previews (but I hate that Alex Zahirov or whatever losery guy who reviews all the hardware lol... he sucks)

:)

Back to babydoll's Qs

1. As others have mentioned, Netstats no longer exists for previous/former Optus@home (now OptusNet) customers, so you'll be on MDM (my data monitor) which stinks in comparison to netstats.

You can always limit your bandwidth using third party apps, but that only means you'll wait longer (since you're capping your downstream traffic to say, dialup speeds, which equally stinks as much as being capped is concerned).

When I'm near or reaching my limit, I turn my computer off and as Winston has said, abstain. Read a book, watch TV, catch up on some sleep, play (offline) games, or go out/play a sport, go for a walk, etc. :)

2. As Winston has said again, that's the method I would use to capture video shots, or you can always get other apps out there like HyperSnap DX and other image/video capturing (screenshot) apps, which will do the trick. I don't know about the Photoshop "trick" -- but I'm sure that's correct too, as I rarely ever use PS7 on the PC.

I'd always capture the video/image, save it as a bitmap and resave it (or resize it) afterwards as a JPG (same difference I suppose, the photoshop method is just another step if you're willing to take a few more seconds to do it :))

Winston

HSC
It's not funny when you have the restriction:chainsaw::).

that's a funny limit size, don't they increment by 500 ? :S

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
whats wrong with going over the cap?
its like u're all so worried about getting near it u're not gonna go on the comp? i mean i go over my cap in usually 3-5 days and i'll jus be dialup for the rest of the month, it doesnt mean u can't use the net, it just means u'll have to wait a lil longer

besides, u shouldn't really worry about going over the cap this month... since the hsc starts on the 20th, u mite aswell just use it all b4 then :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by tonberry_kun
whats wrong with going over the cap?
its like u're all so worried about getting near it u're not gonna go on the comp? i mean i go over my cap in usually 3-5 days and i'll jus be dialup for the rest of the month, it doesnt mean u can't use the net, it just means u'll have to wait a lil longer

besides, u shouldn't really worry about going over the cap this month... since the hsc starts on the 20th, u mite aswell just use it all b4 then :)
Some ISP (like mine) make you pay extra money if you go over your download limit:(.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Some ISP (like mine) make you pay extra money if you go over your download limit:(.
Yeah, as well as Telstra BigPond :(

shkspeare

wants 99uai
ahaha and i can tell u about paying extra...

say 3-4 gigs over...

lets just say i got screamed at... lucki i "fixed" things up by changing isp's to iinet..

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by shkspeare
ahaha and i can tell u about paying extra...

say 3-4 gigs over...

lets just say i got screamed at... lucki i "fixed" things up by changing isp's to iinet..
Man, that would be 0.18*3000=$540 or 0.18*4000=$720 extra for me to pay:(.

Huy

HSC
N/A
For Telstra it'd be about $300-$400 at about $0.10 a pop (per MB), so $100 per gig. (1000MB according to Telstra, so they're ripping us off 24MB per gig in terms of data transfers :p :p)

3GB = 3000MB, end of story lol...I want my extra 72MB :(

felix_js

lost
HSC
N/A
haha theres always debate on 1000 vs 1024 at whirlpool forums

ae

HSC
Either way
3Gig sux big time
Even 6Gig sux

Damn. Optus FiberOptic dont support ADSL :chainsaw:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)