Questions (1 Viewer)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
This offer is only valid until the 30th of september, and the prices have been adjusted (since it is the 5th of october).

if i recall, it's about $64.95 now, instead of the advertised $54.95
Huy, if you have a look at this page, Big Blue Internet says that "by popular demand, our Broadband Special has been extended to the 20th of October 2003":).

Originally posted by Huy
in the future, most "developed" countries will be using 20mbit lines or higher for xDSL technologies (although Australia doesn't look like it's heading that way :p :p)
Have you noticed that Australia is behind the times in broadband technology too? I have been looking at other countries plans and they are much faster and much cheaper:(.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Merethrond
Huy, if you have a look at this page, Big Blue Internet says that "by popular demand, our Broadband Special has been extended to the 20th of October 2003":).
touche, I was going off Whirlpool (broadbandchoice)

Found at: http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-isp.cfm?id=230

* This offer is valid for all applications received up to 30th Sep 03.

So I took it to be gospel, as WP is fairly reliable (most of the time)

:)

My mistake though, you are correct.

Have you noticed that Australia is behind the times in broadband technology too? I have been looking at other countries plans and they are much faster and much cheaper
That's Telstra for you, they own the marketplace in Australia, so we have to play by their rules.

Most other countries have 10mbit lines, unlimited downloads/quota, and are able to host files, free upstream (upload) traffic, and so on.

We're being ripped off, but what can you do? :(

(switch to adsl, being the only feasible option these days through wholesalers and re-sellers, new ISPs taking up their service through comindico and others which allow peering :)).

www.pipenetworks.com

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Yes, stupid Telstra monopoly:mad:. I suppose that we can only hope that things will improve in the future:).

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I always say ADSL is better than dial-up, in that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages.

Dial-up:

* Approximately $40 for unlimited everything
* Phone line being taken up
* 25c per dial up
* Could get disconnected
* Computer freezes a lot and having to re-dial again
* Stupid modem dialing noise
* In the end it could cost $60+ if you are a high internet user

ADSL:

* Phone line not taken up
* Line filters required
* Expensive modem required
* contract
* Connection fee required
* Up to $60+ per month depending on plan
* No call costs/no worries about computer freezing
* FAST! downloads :D

Looking at them both, initially ADSL is a hell of a lot more expensive, but in the long term, you will find it's far more convenient. If you use the net a lot, ADSL is definitely the best way. You could even save money depending on how much you spend on dialling up.

True that you still pay more for ADSL over dial-up, but realistically you are only paying like $10-$20 extra per month for something that is a hell of a lot better.

I'm currently with Internode ADSL flatrate and i have to say their service is excellent. I might end up switching to Ozforces depending on whether the admin will let me have it cheaper :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
* Computer freezes a lot and having to re-dial again
* Stupid modem dialing noise
These aren't really disadvantages though.

The computer freezing might not be related to dialup, and the noise?

Come on Ragerunner, you're just looking for an excuse to bag out the noise :p :p :rofl:

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy
These aren't really disadvantages though.

The computer freezing might not be related to dialup, and the noise?

Come on Ragerunner, you're just looking for an excuse to bag out the noise :p :p :rofl:
I agree, u can turn the noise off via the modem options, freezing? like Huy said it couldn't be the cause of the modem, maybe you need an upgrade lol.

-X-

HSC
N/A
For me, if i had to pay any thing less than $70 p/month, it would still turn out cheaper than dialup ($22 p/month).

RageRunner: Which ISP is charging $40 for dialup? :D

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The computer freezing means you have to re-dial to get back on the net. Which means an extra 25c.

The noise yes you can turn off, but i just hate 56k modems so i wanted to say that :D

-X- is yours $22p/month for unlimited everything? I mean unlimited downloads/session limits/time limits etc..

Back in the ancient days of dial-up, XiS gave me $30 a month for unlimited everything and i didn't pay a single bill cuz poor management from them. They ended up bankrupt. so i assumed a normal isp would probably charge $40p/m for unlimited everything.

In the end ADSL is more expensive, but i reckon its worth paying the extra $10-20 (including phone bills) for a significant performance.

Huy

HSC
N/A
The computer freezing means you have to re-dial to get back on the net. Which means an extra 25c.
True... but if you were to be on ADSL, and your computer froze, you wouldn't lose any money. (I can see your point now).

But again, it's not dialup's fault, it's your computer ;)

Maybe if it were:

"If the computer *happens* to freeze/play up, then the cost to get back onto the Internet is not as expensive as dialup, as you do not have to pay for the reconnection fee"

-- and that has been your point,

ADSL: doesn't require reconnection fees for new sessions
Dialup: requires re-dialing, ie $0.25 per connection

;)

I'm just an ass though... pee'd off because I'm being bugged by popups hahaha

-X-

HSC
N/A
Ragerunner: Yes iprimus, 5 hour session limit but unlimited everything. I've downloaded Gigs worth of stuff when i was with them (3years total).

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Huy

But again, it's not dialup's fault, it's your computer ;)
Doesn't matter whose fault, the main point is you have to reconnect.

Ahh i remember one time my phone bill said i made 706 calls that month. And that was only internet dial-up calls because i had 2 phone lines and you can know which is which more easier.

-X- fine lets take 5 hour session limit.

24 hours in a day. say you want to online all the time like in adsl.
thats 4 calls approx. = $1

30 days in a month = $30 + $22 = $52

Obviously you will probably be calling a lot more if your computer freezes/some times you get discconected for no reason.

In the end yes dial-up is cheaper. but the extra money to pay for ADSL is more than worth it.

But of course if you aren't a heavy net user than dial-up will be fine. But i odn't think i can ever get used to 56k anymore.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
Doesn't matter whose fault, the main point is you have to reconnect.
LOL... and you've already made that point ;)

Dial-up:
* Could get disconnected
* 25c per dial up

ADSL:

* No call costs/no worries about computer freezing
;) :)
Obviously you will probably be calling a lot more if your computer freezes/some times you get discconected for no reason.
Methinks Ragerunner's PC reboots/crashes frequently... bad computing experiences?

That doesn't mean you take it out on your dialup connection/modem LOL... just kidding dude :)

Or... maybe you're an ADSL salesman LOL!!!!

"I will never give into the dark side" *whistles* :) :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Yes i have had BAD BAD BAD experiences hence when i said 706 calls that month!

Dial-up is evil especially if you leave it overnight with auto reconnect on and your isp decidse to screw up and you end up calling a million times trying to get in.

By that i mean ports are full and you get a username/pass error even though everytihng is correct.

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner

-X- fine lets take 5 hour session limit.

24 hours in a day. say you want to online all the time like in adsl.
thats 4 calls approx. = $1

30 days in a month = $30 + $22 = $52

In the end yes dial-up is cheaper. but the extra money to pay for ADSL is more than worth it.
I wasnt saying arguing about which is cheaper. I was just saying what ISP charges $40 for dialup. As i said before, ADSL is allot cheaper than dialup for me even if i had to pay $70 p/month (saving $10-15 p/month). My average calls p/month with dialup was like 300. :D

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
So to sum up

ADSL OWNS Dial-up in every way :p

Thats my biased opinion :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)