Questions (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by tonberry_kun
whats wrong with going over the cap?
its like u're all so worried about getting near it u're not gonna go on the comp? i mean i go over my cap in usually 3-5 days and i'll jus be dialup for the rest of the month
well unlike you ton, I don't have a dialup modem or a dialup account.

i think i'll make it by turning "display pictures" off.

ae

HSC
I think he meant 28.8k

28.8k so slow though :mad1:

56k > 28.8k

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Yeah and does it cap?

I saw an ad for an ADSL ip, and when you get capped it only caps to 64k...

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by babydoll_
Yeah and does it cap?

I saw an ad for an ADSL ip, and when you get capped it only caps to 64k...
Babydoll_, unlimited means you have no download cap:).

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by ae
I think he meant 28.8k

28.8k so slow though :mad1:

56k > 28.8k
I can vouch for that. The telephone lies where I live are so bad that even though I have a 56 Kbps modem I have never connected at faster than about 32.2 Kbps:mad:. The slowest I have ever connected at is about 24.4 and my average connection is probably between 26.2 and 28.8:chainsaw:.

Jeo

speed on bigblue is 256 :S not really that fast.

I want 1.5 unlimited :p :D :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Babydoll_, unlimited means you have no download cap
there's a difference.

most ISPs will claim "unlimited"

in their mindset, unlimited means "download all you want"

but customers wont be capped in a sense, but you will find that their bandwidth will be shaped or limited according to how much they download.

You can have an unlimited plan, which lets you download "an infinite amount of data" -- but at a cost, and that cost is the download speed or speed of transmission (the bandwidth available at any one time).

What babydoll would be looking for, in an ideal world, is:

a) uncapped downstream traffic, ie maximum line throughput
b) unlimited downstream quota, ie download all you can
c) no shaping, see A - download speeds remain the same throughout
d) upload data transfer being free (no charges for upstream traffic)
e) PIPE or similar peering, within the state and/or country, so data between users on the same ISP, or within the PIPE network, remains free and doesn't account for download data (eating up the monthly quota, presumably there is no quota LOL ;))

Originally posted by -X-
http://www.bigblue.net.au/
$54 was like a september but it could still be the same price.
This offer is only valid until the 30th of september, and the prices have been adjusted (since it is the 5th of october).

if i recall, it's about $64.95 now, instead of the advertised $54.95

PS: "unlimited broadband" is always misleading, as there is always a catch.

be it:

* 300MB or 550MB data allowance, with charges ontop (when you exceed the data quota)
* shaping or a reduction in download speed (downstream), as you will be severely 'capped' if you're constantly leeching or downloading away non-stop

So from A to E, that's what you'd be looking for in an ideal world (it's not australia... LOL)

free modem included would be nice, and no contracts, as well as the option to pay monthly, instead of in advance by 1 month, 3 months or even 4 months in advance.

and an ammended AUP (acceptable use policy) would be nice too

*keeps on dreaming*

:)
http://www.iinet.net.au/ 512k $80 16Gb then you are capped at 72kbps which is faster than 56, and you dont pay for it!
yeah, iinet would be the best option at the moment, since you're getting a decent 64KB/s transfer, you're not paying through the nose, and a cap of 72kbps is far better than 56kbps (dialup).

Also, you've got peering and a tonne of newsgroups to leech from (or so I've heard... *shifty look*), which doesn't accumulate towards your overall 16GB monthly quota.

I want 1.5 unlimited :p
You mean to say, 1.5 limited ;)
ADSL is only limited by the line (quality of the line, distance from the exchange, among other factors including pair-gain technologies)

usually, copper lines are limited to 1.5Mbit, but I can understand what you're saying when you mean to say "1.5 unlimited" -- 1500kbps is far better than 256 or even 512kbps (by sheer numbers ;))

in the future, most "developed" countries will be using 20mbit lines or higher for xDSL technologies (although Australia doesn't look like it's heading that way :p :p)

Last edited:

-X-

HSC
N/A
what I meant to say was that it was a septmember special. The speeds are great and there are not other catches. The AUP says that you may be disconected once every 24hours but your modem can just reconect. Though this hasnt hapend to me yet. They do say that if u start downloading like crazy (40gb+ p/month), u might be told to tone it down a little and thats it. :)

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by -X-
They do say that if u start downloading like crazy (40gb+ p/month), u might be told to tone it down a little and thats it. :)
This is a startling reminder of Telstra's AUP.

Back in 1999, it was fine to be downloading 1GB per day, until they (Telstra) started emailing customers giving them AUP violations and cautions to "tone it down a little"

Then there was a period where Telstra would impose monthly usage limits of 3GB, so that wasn't going to be a problem until November 2001, leaving customers with an ultimatum.

<Enter dodgy/worthless/scummy usage meters>

This is the current state of affairs with Telstra BigPond Broadband (formerly BigPond Advance, or BPA).

Uploads contribute towards your monthly data quota/limit :(
Excess traffic over the specified 3GB is charged per megabyte

*cries*

-X-

HSC
N/A
Most if not all all ISP's have something similar in their AUP. You cant just sit their downloading forever. Oh in whirlpool forums, the representetives were saying that the AUP doesnt apply to users on special plan. :D

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by -X-
Most if not all all ISP's have something similar in their AUP. You cant just sit their downloading forever.
Of course :)

That's what I was talking about before (see two posts ago).

'special plan'? :confused:
I haven't been reading WP much as of late.

-X-

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Huy
Of course :)

That's what I was talking about before (see two posts ago).

'special plan'? :confused:
I haven't been reading WP much as of late.
Ahh ok sorry then. I kind of just skim read it. :)

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Originally posted by Jeo
http://www.iinet.net.au/ 512k $80 16Gb then you are capped at 72kbps which is faster than 56, and you dont pay for it!
My parents would never pay that much money for an Internet connection. I think paying that much is a bit of a waste of money, so I am not that worried:).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)