Racial spread (1 Viewer)

TheLad_inBlack

HSC
Hey guys,

Before I ask my question I want to make it clear I am not in any way racist or prejudicial, just legitimately interested.

What kind of percentage of UNSW students are of international / asian / indian decent? As in, both parents international or themselves born in another country? The reason I ask is because I have been told countless times "Get used to being the spec in an asian engineering class" and as such am inclined to wonder what the racial spread is like.

From what I have been told it is around 60% asian, 10% other international and the remaining 30% australian (not that people of asian decent are not australian, but rather those of just australian families).

I think whoever reads this will know what I am trying to get at, but I am being careful in my phrasing lol.

Cheers

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Dw lol, everyone is interested. You're just brave enough to say you are.

I guess it all depends on what course you do. Engo would probably be filled with asians.

You a lad aye? :p (username)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I'd say there's a good proportion of Asians, who probably or arguably outnumber the 'whites'.

How many are internationals? Who knows. I remember walking past a Swedish international student... two of them. So... that's a bit of a mystery.

TheLad_inBlack

HSC
Ah thanks guys, yeah i'm doing engineering and yeah, a bit of a lad I guess but your smarter-than-average lad.

Made a few mistakes in my time so I cracked down in Year 12 and came out with 98.6 haha.

But yeah sounds like I will be that spec but it wont affect me negatively, should be a good opportunity to enrich my cultural experiences I should hope.

BTW squishy, love your 'signature' (is that what it's called? I am really new to the forum) haha, I actually tried that line at a party one time and it worked, surprisingly. Mind you the girl wasn't a 10/10, but still lol.

HSC
N/A
"There are more than 52,000 students currently studying at UNSW including over 11,000 international students, from 120 countries."
http://www.international.unsw.edu.au/why-unsw/student-experiences/

That makes it around 21%. We don't track where students' parents were born.

However, according to Wikipedia (you can check the immi figures from the reference if you want more details):
"According to the census more than one fifth of the population were born overseas. Furthermore, almost 50% of the population were either:
born overseas; or
had one or both parents born overseas."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiculturalism_in_Australia

So the percentage of International Students at UNSW is on par with the percentage of immigrates to Australian (although, the mix is undoubtably different).

miaowsha

HSC
I've been at UNSW on and off since 2007, really. I've learned one thing - it is really faculty dependent. It's also quite class or group dependent.

I've had classes comprising of only white australians and myself (I'm white but I'm not Australian, nor was I born here). I've also had classes where I'm the only white person and the intelligent, insightful students with some idea about cultural identity didn't call me australian just because of my skin colour - they saw my European features.

If you're uncomfortable with being the only white kid in class, probably try a different uni like UWS or ACU. If you forget about the prestige BS, you'll probably find an environment you'll actually enjoy.

TheLad_inBlack

HSC
I've been at UNSW on and off since 2007, really. I've learned one thing - it is really faculty dependent. It's also quite class or group dependent.

I've had classes comprising of only white australians and myself (I'm white but I'm not Australian, nor was I born here). I've also had classes where I'm the only white person and the intelligent, insightful students with some idea about cultural identity didn't call me australian just because of my skin colour - they saw my European features.

If you're uncomfortable with being the only white kid in class, probably try a different uni like UWS or ACU. If you forget about the prestige BS, you'll probably find an environment you'll actually enjoy.
Thanks for your reply.

I suppose only time will tell but I don't think I will be uncomfortable unless, as you experienced, I am the ONLY white australian in a class. In those situations, uni will become more of a chore for me, and not the fulfilling learning environment I experienced while at school.

However I really only chose UNSW because I scored a scholarship, otherwise was hinting towards UTS or USYD. I guess my main worry is being in a class full of people who I do not relate to, strike a cord with or even hold a conversation with, because that will ruin my experience altogether.

Thanks for the reply :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)