• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Random Car Chat (1 Viewer)

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
hey wat y'all think of the new Toyota Yaris????...i like it...i mite be getting it next year for my 18th :)

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Excellent. Excellent quality and build sense.

HSC
looks like an echo
and weve already got an echo.
though it does have more zing to it. im going to give the lowest rating by far. 8 thumbs up.

SlipStream

HSC
It looks like an Echo because an Echo is a Yaris. They just changed the name.

It's actually dynamically and ergonomically very well glued together.

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
What does everyone think of the name changes? Cause Echo becomes Yaris and Pulsar becomes Tiida ( anyone seen the Tiida? ).

SlipStream

HSC
Armani said:
What does everyone think of the name changes? Cause Echo becomes Yaris and Pulsar becomes Tiida ( anyone seen the Tiida? ).
I like Yaris over Echo - reminds me of the frustratingly long nights I spent on Gran Turismo 3 trying to win the Yaris Cup in professional league in my heavily tickled pink bubble. The name "echo" just generally sounds ghey, too. Yaris is more original and adds more character to the car - something Toyota fail to do with their bland range of cars (thus they're introducing the Yaris name internationally).

Tiida sounds like some Korean-manufactured sewing machine.

Looks the part, too.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
name-wise i prefer yaris over echo, it has a more modern name. Tiida i dont really like, its quite a boring name, but then again so is pulsar.

SlipStream

HSC
Most cars can be interesting. Take my Charade for instance - just another boring old shoebox for pensioners to blurt down to bingo and back, you might think. Ahh, but you'd be surprised. Money can make any car go quick and look respectable, although granted, some cars are harder than others.

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
For instance the possibility of a HSV Astra :rolleyes: How great it is that it has the power equivalent to that of an olden day Ferrari. Completely pointless is that all that extra power can't be put down when trying to take a corner. Referencing from Top Gear Hot Hatch comparisons.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Any mug can make an engine produce power its pretty simple really. Jam alot of air and alot of petrol into a strong container and set it on fire.

It is more difficult to put it on the ground. On the one hand there is drivetrain losses chewing up the kw and on the other there is the art of suspension trying to keep the car comfortably planted on the tarmac.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Isn't Yaris an older name? They used it in Euro markets IIRC... For small cars, the Cooper is still my favourite (in terms of look).

SlipStream

HSC
seremify007 said:
Isn't Yaris an older name? They used it in Euro markets IIRC... For small cars, the Cooper is still my favourite (in terms of look).
Yeh it's been around for a while, on the Euro market as you said and in Japan I think. They've brought it to Oz as part of their corporate globalisation (read: plans to take over earth).

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
Yes, Toyota really is going to dominate the world with the selection of vehicles they have available. It's just so inspiring and varied that they manage to cater for every market. You should see the exotics, the rally cars, the muscle cars, the boy racers cars they have to choose from. It's a wonder they don't have a monopoly on the car market.

SlipStream

HSC
Armani said:
Yes, Toyota really is going to dominate the world with the selection of vehicles they have available. It's just so inspiring and varied that they manage to cater for every market. You should see the exotics, the rally cars, the muscle cars, the boy racers cars they have to choose from. It's a wonder they don't have a monopoly on the car market.
I'm not sure if you were agreeing with me in a comedic kind of way, or disagreeing in a sarcastic way... I'll assume the latter for the moment: Toyota don't make cars to inspire (they try, though, but they just come out as disproportionate globules screaming - or whispering, as it were - conservatism), they make cheap reliable cars to get the population from A to B. That's what one needs to dominate the world, not exotics that people can lust for but cannot afford. Thus they are Australia's current number 1 manufacturer, and tipped to usurp the financially-bleeding GM as the world's Number One manufacturer by 2012.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
Why is General Motors losing money? Oh and I heard they are going ahead with the Zeta platform.

SlipStream

HSC
transcendent said:
Why is General Motors losing money? Oh and I heard they are going ahead with the Zeta platform.
They've lost something like $1.6billion in the third quarter of 2005 alone. The losses include $56million spent on 'restructuring' in Europe. Also increases in healthcare costs for US employees, higher costs for raw materials and consumers moving away from the large trucks and SUVs which account for much of GM's North American line-up. They've got plans to soften the blow for their fourth quarter - primarily down to its sale of its 20% chunk of Fuji Heavy Industries (the people behind Subaru) for ~$800million. It's also in talks about decreasing healthcare costs for employees, and unfortunately, GM has been forced to downsize by cutting 25 000 jobs as a result of the closure of three US manufacturing plants. They're also sourcing their raw materials from elsewhere I think to save some more cash. All this, however, is still probably not enough to pull them from their financial nosedive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)