Rank 1st and Rank 1st by a relatively large margin. (1 Viewer)

JJmn

HSC
What are the differences? Because wouldn't the first get the highest external mark as their internal mark anyway? So whats the benefit of coming first by a larger margin?

L

lsam

JJmn said:
What are the differences? Because wouldn't the first get the highest external mark as their internal mark anyway? So whats the benefit of coming first by a larger margin?
To show off to others that you killed them in marks.

Roguedeth

HSC
let them know that you are number 1 and you'll always be number 1.

JJmn

HSC
Lol so no tanglible benefits whatsoever?

conics2008

HSC
naa man his serious. seriously what would happen...

Im actually gettin worried now.

what happens if all your internal you get an average of 90+ ( this can be 95% or 97% or even 91% )

this is speaking for extension one maths.

and in the hsc you get approx 85% raw or possible 90% raw... or maybe even 75%+ raw.. what would happen...

does your 90's play a role or not.

PS the 2nd rank is approx 70s low 70s possible around 60s aswell... what are the effects. ?? please explain.. thanks u

shinn

HSC
When your teacher hands in the marks with the ranking accompanied by the marks, if the marks are really close E.g. you came first with assessment mark of 41.3 and someone came second with 41.2, the board may decide to round up the second person so you both will be equal first. Thus, greater margin the better.

L

lsam

shinn said:
When your teacher hands in the marks with the ranking accompanied by the marks, if the marks are really close E.g. you came first with assessment mark of 41.3 and someone came second with 41.2, the board may decide to round up the second person so you both will be equal first. Thus, greater margin the better.
Board does not determine your rank. It's school that does it.

danz90

HSC
I'm in the same boat... I'm coming first in quite a few subjects with a large margin, and its quite likely that I'll get the highest external mark for those subjects.. meaning my internal asesssment marks are of no use :( my HSC mark would solely be determined by what I get in the exam..... unfair 23q

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: Rank 1st and Rank 1st by a relatively large margin.

danz90 said:
I'm in the same boat... I'm coming first in quite a few subjects with a large margin, and its quite likely that I'll get the highest external mark for those subjects.. meaning my internal asesssment marks are of no use :( my HSC mark would solely be determined by what I get in the exam..... unfair 23q
errr what? are you bloody serious.

people would KILL for the HSC to be solely based on the externals.

runnable

HSC
lsam said:
NO.

What's the tangible benefit that comes from beating them marginally?

Err you get the highest external mark for your internal mark? and the person who MARGINALLY lost to you will not get it, and the highest external mark may be a lot higher than the 2nd highest.

runnable

HSC
Re: 回复: Re: Rank 1st and Rank 1st by a relatively large margin.

tommykins said:

You also get people (like me) who would KILL for the HSC to be based entirely on internals.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: 回复: Re: Rank 1st and Rank 1st by a relatively large margin.

tommykins said:

It was once and it was great - no assessment tasks or internals that mattered at all but...if you stuffed the external then you stuffed everything, which is one reason why they changed it.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
回复: Re: 回复: Re: Rank 1st and Rank 1st by a relatively large margin.

cem said:
It was once and it was great - no assessment tasks or internals that mattered at all but...if you stuffed the external then you stuffed everything, which is one reason why they changed it.
I guess the system now promotes thorough and consistent work, whereas the previous system just let the lazy "smart" kids study for the final exams and rip it up.

JJmn

HSC
risole91 said:
I think the moderation process takes this into account.

Really? How though. From what I heard previously about moderating and scaling, its just a simple case of highest external mark = rank 1st's internal mark.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
JJmn said:
Really? How though. From what I heard previously about moderating and scaling, its just a simple case of highest external mark = rank 1st's internal mark.
No. It does not.

Moderation is not taken into account for the difference in marks. Only the ranks are.

JJmn

HSC
lyounamu said:
No. It does not.

Moderation is not taken into account for the difference in marks. Only the ranks are.

So you're saying that me coming first by 20% is as good as coming first by 1%?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)