Rank (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Only a few marks though, ~4-5 marks more, I think. Just make sure you write enough to cover any possible criterion. Even Kamal (state rank 3rd) says that.
Yeah, but that few marks in chemistry/biology/physics can be the difference between 85 and 90.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
PS Riproot, you make me worried...I was aiming for a 94 in the exam so I'd have a chance at touch that B6...LOL
Don't be worried, just work on all the little stuff I pointed out. :)

And the middle section is always the worst anyways. MC and the option should bring you up. :) (even though my option was SHIT) Haha

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't be worried, just work on all the little stuff I pointed out. :)

And the middle section is always the worst anyways. MC and the option should bring you up. :) (even though my option was SHIT) Haha
Yeah, MC will definitely pull me up, I usually get at least 18/20 for it so that's good but the option...our school is terrible at teaching the option topics...like, not even joking lol

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, I guess so but I should get at least B6 in physics - I'd be pretty sad if I didn't lol.
Coming first you *should* but don't get complacent.

The top 4 people at my school were like "we'll easily get band 6s" just because in previous years 4 people got band 6s.
I'm pretty sure the top mark was 80, 81 in the exam. lol

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, MC will definitely pull me up, I usually get at least 18/20 for it so that's good but the option...our school is terrible at teaching the option topics...like, not even joking lol
Yeah, you should be fine. I FUCKED MC in 2011 that was my problem. Haha

What option are you doing?
I can mark Forensic and Industrial, but I haven't seen the others.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Coming first you *should* but don't get complacent.

The top 4 people at my school were like "we'll easily get band 6s" just because in previous years 4 people got band 6s.
I'm pretty sure the top mark was 80, 81 in the exam. lol
Yeah, I know, I'm not getting complacent - just like, a reassurance in contrast to chemistry...I guess.

I need 95 for my course, anyway, so I should be set.

barbernator

HSC
Ok guys, I know everyone goes on about this shit like "It really hard to do well raw in physics and chem" and "its really hard to get a band 6 because the marking criteria is so hard"

sure, the marking criteria may be hard, but they still have to give people high HSC marks no different to any other subjects. So sure there is all this fearmongering going round about how difficult chemistry and physics are, but a certain amount of people still MUST get band 6's so I don't know why you guys are worrying so much, I'm not.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Forensic Chemistry and Astrophysics. That 2009 paper's option topic 7 marker was so retarded, honestly. Partly why I did poorly in the 2009's option was because it contained "primary, secondary and tertiary structures of proteins" which I wasn't aware of until that exam and I saw the 7 marker and was like, CBF. I was sleepy for another 3 marker and didn't answer the question properly (0/3). So from what I did, I got 8/18 LOL.

This is the 7 marker
The flowchart summarises the step involved n sample processing and prosentation of results for a forensic investigation

sample collection-->initial examination and classification of material-->instrumental analysis-->interpretation of results to a non-scientist

You are the forensic chemist investigation a crime scene and collecting samples. With reference to the flowchart, describe how you would process the sample and present the results. Illustrate your answer with relevant tests and appropriate analyses.
I did it late at night while doing chemistry studying all day, I felt tired, lazy and so, this paper was a bit of a dodgy job lol

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Forensic Chemistry and Astrophysics. That 2009 paper's option topic 7 marker was so retarded, honestly. Partly why I did poorly in the 2009's option was because it contained "primary, secondary and tertiary structures of proteins" which I wasn't aware of until that exam and I saw the 7 marker and was like, CBF. I was sleepy for another 3 marker and didn't answer the question properly (0/3). So from what I did, I got 8/18 LOL.

This is the 7 marker
The flowchart summarises the step involved n sample processing and prosentation of results for a forensic investigation

sample collection-->initial examination and classification of material-->instrumental analysis-->interpretation of results to a non-scientist

You are the forensic chemist investigation a crime scene and collecting samples. With reference to the flowchart, describe how you would process the sample and present the results. Illustrate your answer with relevant tests and appropriate analyses.
I did it late at night while doing chemistry studying all day, I felt tired, lazy and so, this paper was a bit of a dodgy job lol

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok guys, I know everyone goes on about this shit like "It really hard to do well raw in physics and chem" and "its really hard to get a band 6 because the marking criteria is so hard"

sure, the marking criteria may be hard, but they still have to give people high HSC marks no different to any other subjects. So sure there is all this fearmongering going round about how difficult chemistry and physics are, but a certain amount of people still MUST get band 6's so I don't know why you guys are worrying so much, I'm not.
Actually, they sent benchmarks for each band and if you don't exceed that benchmark then you don't get a band 6. They can give no Band 6s if nobody is good enough.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Actually, they sent benchmarks for each band and if you don't exceed that benchmark then you don't get a band 6. They can give no Band 6s if nobody is good enough.

deswa1

HSC

This so much. A B6 isn't some mythical thing that no one gets- iirc around 10% of the state gets one (depending on the year and paper and stuff). Obviously it requires effort etc. but don't think that because the markers are apparently like savages that you are capped at around 85. someth1ng- from what I've seen on this forum, you are very solid at phys and chem. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get 93/94 in the exam

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Ew, that question is disgusting

TBH I hate the forensic option as a whole.

Also, I didn't do physics, so no point telling me your physics option. haha (otherwise the top marks in physics would've been at least 85)

Last edited:

barbernator

HSC
now you're just being difficult and technical, what I mean is that if 10% if the cohort get band 6's in a year, then next year, the figure will be within the ball park 8%+. Over such a large cohort of 10000, the skill level year to year is going to change minimally. And they set benchmarks off student performance in the exam, so if students perform lower, they are going to lower the cutoff, aka last years MX1 exam. And yes, someth1ng, I do believe you will get a band 6, and I believe I will get a band 6, and I know many others who I am confident will get a band 6. I just hate to hear all this bitching about the difficulty of the exam marking when in the end someone has to come first and someone has to come last.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
now you're just being difficult and technical, what I mean is that if 10% if the cohort get band 6's in a year, then next year, the figure will be within the ball park 8%+. Over such a large cohort of 10000, the skill level year to year is going to change minimally. And they set benchmarks off student performance in the exam, so if students perform lower, they are going to lower the cutoff, aka last years MX1 exam. And yes, someth1ng, I do believe you will get a band 6, and I believe I will get a band 6, and I know many others who I am confident will get a band 6. I just hate to hear all this bitching about the difficulty of the exam marking when in the end someone has to come first and someone has to come last.
Yeah, you're right. I was just being technical and it's true that around the same number of students will get band 6 each year. Sorry about that.

But yeah, there's not much point discussing everything since it's really inevitable and there's not a magic formula that will make you win, I guess.

someth1ng- from what I've seen on this forum, you are very solid at phys and chem. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get 93/94 in the exam
Thanks, I god darn hope so - would be great if I did but then again, time will tell.

Last edited:

aaronnx

HSC
N/A
What if, out of 20 students, the average for assessment are 80% but one person is on 0%? Literally.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)