• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Raped by her uncle, but can she have an abortion? (1 Viewer)

HSC
want2bdifferent said:
i think you will find that most christians have similar beliefs
it was weighted more on the way you put your points across. and how each point of view interacts with the other points which you are making.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
I wonder how the anti abortionists in this thread would actually respond if they were in the same situation as the girl in the article. Or if their daughter or sister was the victim.

I have a feeling the black and white moral judgements would stop when held up to the reality of something so horrific. But of course it's really easy to be adamantly opposed to something when you've got the luxury of distance from the situation...

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I wonder how the anti abortionists in this thread would actually respond if they were in the same situation as the girl in the article. Or if their daughter or sister was the victim.

I have a feeling the black and white moral judgements would stop when held up to the reality of something so horrific. But of course it's really easy to be adamantly opposed to something when you've got the luxury of distance from the situation...
I don't know how i would react if i was in that situation, I don't think anybody would really until they are all i am saying is my opinion now. If it happened i might think very differently

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
I don't know how i would react if i was in that situation, I don't think anybody would really until they are all i am saying is my opinion now. If it happened i might think very differently
Very true. So why condemn the idea of the girl aborting the child knowing full well that if it was you you'd be reconsidering your position?

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Very true. So why condemn the idea of the girl aborting the child knowing full well that if it was you you'd be reconsidering your position?
i said might not would i might not. All i am saying is i disagree with abortion at this point in time.

HSC
want2bdifferent said:
i said might not would i might not. All i am saying is i disagree with abortion at this point in time.
would you allow her to have the abortion? i mean, if she wanted it, would you stop her - saying you had the power?

HSC
scaredytiger said:
would you allow her to have the abortion? i mean, if she wanted it, would you stop her - saying you had the power?
I would leave it up to her.

but if i was talking to her face to face i would let her know that i disagree with it.

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'd actually be very interested to see if there are any practising Catholics or anti-abortionists for any other reason that actually have gone through with or decided on an abortion, whether male or female. I'm sure there are, but especially if anti-abortionist for religious reasons might not want to own up to it.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
I understand, I just don't see why you're so completely against it when you do have a grasp on the idea of shades of grey, morally speaking. The situation is exceptional, yet there are still people who would happily see the kid go through the pregnancy...what does it take for people to stand back and say "gee, well maybe we'll let you off the hook this time, seeing as how you were raped by a blood relative before you'd even seen the inside of a sex ed classroom", instead of clinging to "no abortion is always wrong no matter what"?

This discussion reminds me of some weirdo on a christian forum I was looking at, saying that if someone gets pregnant from rape then they have to accept God's will and birth the child, no matter what the cost or whether or not the mother and child might both die anyway.

HSC
want2bdifferent said:
I would leave it up to her.

but if i was talking to her face to face i would let her know that i disagree with it.
so you are morally opposed to it, yet you wouldnt stop her?

doesnt God abhor that sin?

are you pro-choice or pro-life?
you cannot be both.

u-borat

Banned
HSC
lala2 said:
I'd actually be very interested to see if there are any practising Catholics or anti-abortionists for any other reason that actually have gone through with or decided on an abortion, whether male or female. I'm sure there are, but especially if anti-abortionist for religious reasons might not want to own up to it.
christians are like everybody else cept they hide behind a holier than thou attitude.

HSC
scaredytiger said:
so you are morally opposed to it, yet you wouldnt stop her?

doesnt God abhor that sin?

are you pro-choice or pro-life?
you cannot be both.
Put it this way i am against binge drinking, but i do not stop people from drinking, i am against abortion but i would force them to go through a pregnancy, it is up to the individual to make the right decision i can tell them my beliefs and all the reasons why abortion is wrong but ultimatly it is up to them.

HSC
want2bdifferent said:
Put it this way i am against binge drinking, but i do not stop people from drinking, i am against abortion but i would force them to go through a pregnancy, it is up to the individual to make the right decision i can tell them my beliefs and all the reasons why abortion is wrong but ultimatly it is up to them.
so, if you had the chance to rid the world completely of sin, you wouldnt?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)