• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Raped by her uncle, but can she have an abortion? (1 Viewer)

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
i said i dont know if my opinions would change, like i said i dont think any one would until they are in that situation. but you could also say it is the other way around, how do they know when they are in that situation they would not keep the child or at least give it up for adoption.
My mistake. I just assumed that's what you thought, owing to the text in bold.

HSC
Hollieee said:
My mistake. I just assumed that's what you thought, owing to the text in bold.
i was more confirming that i think that i don't know how i would react in that situation

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Goodo then, we all understand each other =)

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
I think it would happen esspecially in the situation of rape, i think that if people were nto allowed to have abortions they would have them by bashing the women, or by doing them in filthy unsanitary conditions. I am aware most people can differentiatiate between right and wrong but i think there are always some that can not
If people were allowed to have abortions legally and under medicare they would see an OBGY and not rish their own lives.

Their are few people like that, we don't all turn into savages and gives people a right to kill indescriminately if abortion or 'murder' as you call it is legalised.

HSC
yo. for all the idealistic christians.

foetus
is not a term we use to distance ourselves to feel better. happens to actually be the correct term for a human that hasnt been born yet. use it. i dont care if its not cuddly. a foetus is not a baby, dont call it one.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I wonder how the anti abortionists in this thread would actually respond if they were in the same situation as the girl in the article. Or if their daughter or sister was the victim.

I have a feeling the black and white moral judgements would stop when held up to the reality of something so horrific. But of course it's really easy to be adamantly opposed to something when you've got the luxury of distance from the situation...
I don't like these sort of arguments tbh... Just imagine for a second the other applications of this sort of rule and then decide if that's really the sort of morality you want.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
I don't think it can neccessarily be applied in all situations. But I think it's quite valid in this case.
How can you be certain you'd keep a child of rape and how can you condemn someone for not wanting to keep it if you haven't experienced it? You lack the empathy.

Perhaps this is wrong, but at this stage it is how I feel.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
scaredytiger said:
yo. for all the idealistic christians.

foetus
is not a term we use to distance ourselves to feel better. happens to actually be the correct term for a human that hasnt been born yet. use it. i dont care if its not cuddly. a foetus is not a baby, dont call it one.
Embryo, fetus, baby - the distinction is unnecessary. Since all these terms represent human life which needs to be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Hollieee said:
I don't think it can neccessarily be applied in all situations. But I think it's quite valid in this case.
How can you be certain you'd keep a child of rape and how can you condemn someone for not wanting to keep it if you haven't experienced it? You lack the empathy.

Perhaps this is wrong, but at this stage it is how I feel.
Well for instance if my daughter was raped/murdered I might want the death penalty for the guy who did it and I can probably feel extreme empathy for a father who would want that and probably no empathy whatsoever for the rapist - However I'm not in favour of the death penalty. So yeah, I'd say you can't necessarily condemn someone else for their actions in the sense that maybe you can say 'I wouldn't do that' but you definitely can condemn them in the sense of saying 'That's wrong'.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Enteebee said:
I don't like these sort of arguments tbh... Just imagine for a second the other applications of this sort of rule and then decide if that's really the sort of morality you want.
I know. I have just observed a distinct lack of imagination from the resident fundies on the forum in regards to abortion, is all. You can't really say what you'd do in any given situation until you've actually been in it. Hell, I might get raped and pregnant tomorrow and decide to keep it but at least I'm not looking down on people who'd book the abortionist about it, or persist in thinking that there's only one right answer to every moral dilemma.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Enteebee said:
Well for instance if my daughter was raped/murdered I might want the death penalty for the guy who did it and I can probably feel extreme empathy for a father who would want that and probably no empathy whatsoever for the rapist - However I'm not in favour of the death penalty.
Wouldn't what you felt for someone it had happened to be sympathy, unless you'd experienced it yourself?
That's the impression I was under.

And yes, I agree with what you've just said. Sorry, I don't understand the point you're trying to make.

HSC
CharlieB said:
Embryo, fetus, baby - the distinction is unnecessary. Since all these terms represent human life which needs to be respected and protected absolutely from the moment of conception.
the distinction is very necessary.

a baby breathes on its own.
a foetus breathes through another.

the pro-life argument rests on this cuddly baby ideal: "would you kill a BABY?"

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
I know. I have just observed a distinct lack of imagination from the resident fundies on the forum in regards to abortion, is all. You can't really say what you'd do in any given situation until you've actually been in it. Hell, I might get raped and pregnant tomorrow and decide to keep it but at least I'm not looking down on people who'd book the abortionist about it, or persist in thinking that there's only one right answer to every moral dilemma.
Agreed.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
wooooo. lets base arguments on our immediate emotional responses.

you guys should apply for jobs at the daily telegraph.
Immediate emotional responses? Who exactly was that referring to?

HSC
zimmerman8k said:
wooooo. lets base arguments on our immediate emotional responses.

you guys should apply for jobs at the daily telegraph.
I don't think it is very good to remove emotion all together in this situation

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
I don't think it is very good to remove emotion all together in this situation
Me either. I think our capacity to feel and be emotional is part of what makes us human.
So where is the fault in using that to look at situations?

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
Hollieee said:
Wouldn't what you felt for someone it had happened to be sympathy, unless you'd experienced it yourself?
That's the impression I was under.

And yes, I agree with what you've just said. Sorry, I don't understand the point you're trying to make.
understanding another person's feelings by remembering or imagining being in a similar situation.
imo.

The point I'm trying to make is just that it's a bad line of argument to bring up 'what if it happened to you' because that's just simply not how our moral codes are/should be made.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Hey Bec...
Not really wanting to post much , but it seems like you have made something of a judgement call on 'resident fundies' lol....i mean , i have been called that incessantly...yet i have expressed an opinion quite similar to yours.
There is no way i could look down on someone for anything , least of all something as 'morally' grey as this (that is , if morals CAN be grey.. they are in our political system).... you seem to assume people like me have no heart at all? I hope i have mistaken you :)
Someone also said earlier that christians were just like everyone else but with a holier than thou attitude...I hope they didnt mean all Christians i really do>
If anything i could say Christians are constantly feeling the weight of their 'sin'...which does not lead them (or me anyway) to adopt any sort of holier than thou attitudes...anyway....
:)

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
Enteebee said:
imo.

The point I'm trying to make is just that it's a bad line of argument to bring up 'what if it happened to you' because that's just simply not how our moral codes are/should be made.
Well I disagree, but that's alright.
So many people don't have enough compassion for others, I find. So perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad thing to take into account the way you would feel in a certain situation.
That being said, I still stand by that you cannot fully know unless you have experienced it. But you can certainly try?

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
*TRUE* said:
Hey Bec...
Not really wanting to post much , but it seems like you have made something of a judgement call on 'resident fundies' lol....i mean , i have been called that incessantly...yet i have expressed an opinion quite similar to yours.
There is no way i could look down on someone for anything , least of all something as 'morally' grey as this (that is , if morals CAN be grey.. they are in our political system).... you seem to assume people like me have no heart at all? I hope i have mistaken you :)
Someone also said earlier that christians were just like everyone else but with a holier than thou attitude...I hope they didnt mean all Christians i really do>
If anything i could say Christians are constantly feeling the weight of their 'sin'...which does not lead them (or me anyway) to adopt any sort of holier than thou attitudes...anyway....
:)
Sorry, by resident fundie I really mean emytaylor, tbh. You're alright.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)