Raped by her uncle, but can she have an abortion? (1 Viewer)

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
want2bdifferent said:
see the thing is i think that even if the mother has to go through pain the child still should have a right to live.
lol

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
see the thing is i think that even if the mother has to go through pain the child still should have a right to live.
The right of the child to live does not triumph over all other considerations, though. It's one thing of many things you have to weigh up here.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
CharlieB said:
YOU ARE SO GAY BRO IM SERIOUSLY GOING TO TRACK YOU DOWN AND KILL YOU. FUCK YOU.

HSC
Enteebee said:
Ok you don't think the value of the mother's pain lowers the babys value enough to make abortion ok, but this doesn't mean you haven't lowered the net 'value' of the baby unless you've decided not to include the mother in the calculation at all.
I dont think that you can treat an abortion debate like a maths calculation.
I think that even if a mother has to go through pain (unfortunently) to have the child i think that a child should be able to live.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
I dont think that you can treat an abortion debate like a maths calculation.
I think that even if a mother has to go through pain (unfortunently) to have the child i think that a child should be able to live.
If you don't want to do any sort of calculations then don't even bring 'value' into the debate, the second u want to say the value is worth X you have to accept the debate will move to questions of calculating the worth of X against Y, Z etc.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
Hi Want2bdifferent :)
What if it were a matter of the mother's (young girl) life?
What then do you suppose would be ethical? (Or moral? :) )
This interests me.

HSC
Enteebee said:
If you don't want to do any sort of calculations then don't even bring 'value' into the debate, the second u want to say the value is worth X you have to accept the debate will move to questions of calculating the worth of X against Y, Z etc.
when talking about value of a life I mean how valuable life is. Not the value of investment or something like that

HSC
*TRUE* said:
Hi Want2bdifferent :)
What if it were a matter of the mother's (young girl) life?
What then do you suppose would be ethical? (Or moral? :) )
This interests me.
See i am not sure here i think that if a mothers life is in direct danger if she was to continue in the pregnancy, then that is a grey area, i think it should at least be attempted, it depends on the individual circimstance.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
want2bdifferent said:
See i am not sure here i think that if a mothers life is in direct danger if she was to continue in the pregnancy, then that is a grey area, i think it should at least be attempted, it depends on the individual circimstance.
I think i vaguely remember in the bible it actually somehow giving me the impression that a foetus'life was not worth that of a adult... do u know what verse i mean?

HSC
*TRUE* said:
I think i vaguely remember in the bible it actually somehow giving me the impression that a foetus'life was not worth that of a adult... do u know what verse i mean?
no. i do not find it for me and i will take a look.

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
want2bdifferent said:
I think if you look in to why we believe certain things it will make more sense and make things more black and white, not in all situations but in like 99% of them.
But you know, I'm trying NOT to see the world as black and white, because that can sometimes lead to making the wrong decision. As I've said before, one value cannot apply to every single situation that relates to it.

If the world was ending, and you knew that you could save it by doing something that is totally against what you believe, would you do it and save the world? You can't answer that question by taking a 'black and white, one size fits all' approach.

Last edited:

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
want2bdifferent said:
no. i do not find it for me and i will take a look.
Actually i am completely wrong , i just checked , it was life for life , in other words unborn child was regarded as a 'person'.
(in exodus , if a woman is striked and caused to have baby prematurely....i thought it was just a fine as opposed to a life , i was wrong , sorry)

HSC
*TRUE* said:
Actually i am completely wrong , i just checked , it was life for life , in other words unborn child was regarded as a 'person'.
(in exodus , if a woman is striked and caused to have baby prematurely....i thought it was just a fine as opposed to a life , i was wrong , sorry)
that is fine :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Schroedinger said:
I may be misremembering something, but I remember in an ethical argument for Incest someone cited a study that stated that there was no substantially significant increase in deformities in incestuous offspring. I think there was only a slight increase over general population; I'll track down some scientific links for you later.
look i'm pretty sure that the reason incest has been a social taboo in most societies (notwithstanding my religious views) is because of the increase in congenital malformations and diseases. From a purely medical POV, the closer you're related to someone else, the more your DNA will match with theirs (say compared to someone you're not related to). That includes inherited genetic defects or mutations.

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
inasero said:
look i'm pretty sure that the reason incest has been a social taboo in most societies (notwithstanding my religious views) is because of the increase in congenital malformations and diseases. From a purely medical POV, the closer you're related to someone else, the more your DNA will match with theirs (say compared to someone you're not related to). That includes inherited genetic defects or mutations.
Isnt it funny that according to our biblical account , brothers and sister had to.....ew!

HSC
*TRUE* said:
Isnt it funny that according to our biblical account , brothers and sister had to.....ew!
yeah but, i remember reading somewhere that the diseases would not of been there and it became a sin when incest was not needed together

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
Schroedinger said:
What if the mother and the child are definitely going to die?

What if the mother is going to die but the child would live? What if the mother is going to die and it's twins and one of the children is going to die, what do you do?

What if the child is a harlequin baby and it's going to die regardless of being delivered? Wouldn't you want to reduce the suffering of the mother.

It's about the reduction of suffering, not the sanctity of human life. You're missing the point of this debate.
I agree. We're talking about the girl, not her child here.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Schroedinger said:
Yeah, I know that, I'm just pointing out that the incidences of genetic mutation are not as overblown as people claim. Thus using that as an 'opt out' argument is ridiculous.
sorry i haven't been following this monster of a thread, what do you mean by opt out?

HSC
Schroedinger said:
What if the mother and the child are definitely going to die?

What if the mother is going to die but the child would live? What if the mother is going to die and it's twins and one of the children is going to die, what do you do?

What if the child is a harlequin baby and it's going to die regardless of being delivered? Wouldn't you want to reduce the suffering of the mother.

It's about the reduction of suffering, not the sanctity of human life. You're missing the point of this debate.
I dont think i am missing the point of the debate at all

all those things are grey area though, it depends on the individual circumstances

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)