Rate of decay question, need halp! (1 Viewer)

Frostbitten

HSC
Need help with this question, it is annoying me.

The rate of decay of a radioactive source is given by the formula dm/dt=-km
where k is a positive constant, m is the mass in grams, and t is the time in years.

i) If the initial mass of the source was a grams, find an equation for the mass m grams remaining after t years.

Thankyou, reps to a speedy reply!

Makematics

HSC
Need help with this question, it is annoying me.

The rate of decay of a radioactive source is given by the formula dm/dt=-km
where k is a positive constant, m is the mass in grams, and t is the time in years.

i) If the initial mass of the source was a grams, find an equation for the mass m grams remaining after t years.

Thankyou, reps to a speedy reply!

Frostbitten

HSC
Hmm, in my booklet it takes a different route, I can't quite make much sense out of the initial step.

The answer starts out as follows:
dm/dt=-km
To find the mass remaining after t years, the equation must be integrated:

Step 1=> ∫(dm/m)=-k∫(dt)
Step 2=> ln m=-kt+c
Step 3=>m=e^(-kt+c)

How exactly did it go from step 1 to step 2? What is going on?

Makematics

HSC
Hmm, in my booklet it takes a different route, I can't quite make much sense out of the initial step.

The answer starts out as follows:
dm/dt=-km
To find the mass remaining after t years, the equation must be integrated:

Step 1=> ∫(dm/m)=-k∫(dt)
Step 2=> ln m=-kt+c
Step 3=>m=e^(-kt+c)

How exactly did it go from step 1 to step 2? What is going on?
what is hard to see? both sides are being integrated. LHS with respect to m, RHS with respect to t. And that isnt really a different route. it has just rearranged it for integration. the method the textbook used is more commonly used in higher levels maths, and as braintic said isnt required in 2u. that is why i wrote it as i did, because apparently it is easier to understand than separating it as the answer you posted has.

Last edited:

Frostbitten

HSC
what is hard to see? both sides are being integrated. LHS with respect to m, RHS with respect to t. And that isnt really a different route. it has just rearranged it for integration. the method the textbook used is more commonly used in higher levels maths, and as braintic said isnt required in 2u. that is why i wrote it as i did, because apparently it is easier to understand than separating it as the answer you posted has.
Was not thinking clearly, makes sense now. Thank you for your enlightenment. Repped.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)