Raw Marks aligning affected by school rank? (1 Viewer)

DevilBoy

HSC
Hey i know theres a lot of people asking raw marks for everything, but i'm trying to figure out for sure, if you're school isn't well ranked, are your raw marks which get aligned affected by the way your school performs at all? Or is it just a set standard sort of thing where a raw mark of 70 goes straight to 80 for english or something. Im only asking because i'm averaging about 88 for economics atm and i would be annoyed if i couldn't get a band 6 because of my school. Thanks guys

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Well, you figure it out. Is it fair for someone who lives in rural NSW who gets 119/120 in the Maths Extension 2 exam externally in the actual HSC to get a lower external HSC mark than the person from James Ruse who also got 119/120?

Obviously no. And they've had this system for what... twenty years now? And perhaps if this was the case - there'd be a big fuss about it?

DevilBoy

HSC
Sure, when i said school rank i should've said i just mean how the rest of your class performs, but yeah, obviously that would be unfair. And yeah, i dunno how long they've had this system for, but there are some things i find unfair about it anyway, so this wouldn't have surprised me.

enoilgam

HSC
Sure, when i said school rank i should've said i just mean how the rest of your class performs, but yeah, obviously that would be unfair. And yeah, i dunno how long they've had this system for, but there are some things i find unfair about it anyway, so this wouldn't have surprised me.
School rank has NO direct impact on your HSC marks or ATAR (i.e. the BOS and UAC DO NOT consider your school rank when calculating HSC marks or ATARs). However, the strength of your cohort in most circumstances will have an impact on your performance.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What are the things you find unfair about it? You'll end up finding - more often than not, they are perfectly fair.

But no, your own raw marks aligning is not affected by how your class goes. Moderation however... yes. And that depends on the rank you have within your subject at your school.

enoilgam

HSC
The HSC system at the moment might not be entirely fair, but can the really do any better? The only way for the system to achieve maximum fairness would be if everyone sat a series (4ish) of exams across their HSC year which everyone in the state did. Obviously, this system would be unfeasable as it would be too time consuming and cost too much. So the system in place at the moment is about as good as it reasonably can be.

DevilBoy

HSC
Ah ok so moderation then. Yea i just find that the rankings for some of my subjects might screw up my marks even if i do go well in the externals. Plus yeah, i don't really trust some kids to improve that much for externals which will probably also limit my mark. And what am i supposed to do about that. I know its probably as fair as it could be, but yea, some things are still a bit annoying.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So you didn't do as well as you now believe you could have done for 50% of the course and think it is unfair that that lack of effort is rewarded accordingly.

The work that you have done for the other 50% will be rewarded accordingly.

The problem is that a lot of kids don't understand that the assessments make up 50% of their final mark and therefore they have to work consistently all year and not just leave it to the end of the year.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's unfair that some of my internal tests don't reflect the HSC and that kids did better than me in some of them and I will beat them in the HSC externals, not because I'm putting in more effort now (I'm putting in less) but because the tests were unfairly set and marked.
That is one of the major problems with how the HSC is currently set.

Nick_K

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's unfair that some of my internal tests don't reflect the HSC and that kids did better than me in some of them and I will beat them in the HSC externals, not because I'm putting in more effort now (I'm putting in less) but because the tests were unfairly set and marked.
That is one of the major problems with how the HSC is currently set.
Exactly. Hello science prac tests.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Exactly. Hello science prac tests.
Our Chem prac test was pretty shit. Sir said we could write up all our pracs and take them in. So I stayed up all night writing them and then I fucking went in and it was all fucking calculations and random shit.
In bio we could take in our books. I did 0 study, looked at my books twice and came equal 1st with 42.5/45.
So, Chem was shit and bio was good. Haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)