raw marks vs scaled marks? (1 Viewer)

smartalec

HSC
probably a s tupid question, but in a students hsc results, say they got an 85 in biology, was there raw marks more likely to be <85 or >85 ? i know it probably depends on the subject, but is it generally higher or lower ?

muzeikchun852

HSC
probably a s tupid question, but in a students hsc results, say they got an 85 in biology, was there raw marks more likely to be <85 or >85 ? i know it probably depends on the subject, but is it generally higher or lower ?
the scaled marks of most subjects will be lower than its hsc marks, except maths extension 2 and one or two very difficult language extension [ latin i think ].

Last edited:

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
there are many factors that affect this, the main is the performance of the person's schools cohort against the rest of the state in that particular subject.
if it helps my experience with scaling was pretty good (my school said that they marked hard.. i never believed them, truly just thought i sucked..)

My raw marks:
english 73
maths 90
math extension 81
business 82
legal 89
visual arts 90 ish (dont actually know what my BOW got.. but its around there)

and yeah they all went up

if your cohort kills the HSC exams you will generally go up.. from my experience

hope this helps

EDIT:btw my actual marks are below

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
there are many factors that affect this, the main is the performance of the person's schools cohort against the rest of the state in that particular subject.
if it helps my experience with scaling was pretty good (my school said that they marked hard.. i never believed them, truly just thought i sucked..)

if your cohort kills the HSC exams you will generally go up.. from my experience

hope this helps
I can vouch for this, all my internal marks got scaled up like 10-20%

ibbi00

HSC
A more relative comparison would be raw marks vs. aligned marks or aligned marks vs scaled marks. Which one?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Exactly what are we talking about - scaled or aligned marks - they are different.

Aligned marks are what are reported to students for the HSC and they go up - with raw marks of something like 50 often going to over 70 - you would be surprised just how low the cut-offs are for some subjects in some bands.

Scaled marks are what UAC uses to determine ATARs and these are not reported to students although tables are created to show the scaling of raw marks.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
If a student got a raw mark of 85 in the hsc bio exam would this be lower or higher than the mark reported on their hsc as the exam mark?
Also, has anyone that has applied for their raw marks gotten their marks back yet?

ibbi00

HSC
If a student got a raw mark of 85 in the hsc bio exam would this be lower or higher than the mark reported on their hsc as the exam mark?
Also, has anyone that has applied for their raw marks gotten their marks back yet?
Lower than the reported mark obviously.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Lower.

smartalec

HSC

My raw marks:
english 73
maths 90
math extension 81
business 82
legal 89
visual arts 90 ish (dont actually know what my BOW got.. but its around there)

and yeah they all went up

hope this helps

EDIT:btw my actual marks are below

haha. i am probably not very good at asking my question, but this was the response i was looking for. wow! a raw mark in english of 73 was scaled to an 89? wow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)