Reading Time (1 Viewer)

king chopper

HSC
What does everybody do during their reading time?
It obviously differs for each subject but generally for humanities/social science subjects you can answer the multiple choice Q's in your head to save time.
I usually just look at the essay question's when the examiners flip through the tests to make sure everyone has every page.
What are some goods tricks to do during reading time for maths, english (not area of study) and all other subjects really

starshine02

HSC
In ones with MC I just try to answer as many as possible or I check out the extended responses so I can prepare a little for what I would say in them. Sometimes I do this...shifty thing and I mark my answers in MC by scratching at it in the question booklet. In maths I try to look at the more complex questions and see if I'm able to figure them out first because usually I'm pretty slow at those later on. Except sometimes it just stresses me out :\

aphorae

HSC
Uni Grad
I always did the circle geo in maths first then marked in all the angles as soon as time started so I'd remember. Then I'd just flick through and read the longer questions/try to figure how to approach them so I wouldn't have to waste time thinking later. Yeah English paper 2 just take a look at the essay questions and start planning how to adapt... I usually just tried to figure out what to write in my intro, since that was pretty much the only part that needed quite a bit of changing around for me, depending on the question.

theind1996

HSC
N/A
What does everybody do during their reading time?
It obviously differs for each subject but generally for humanities/social science subjects you can answer the multiple choice Q's in your head to save time.
I usually just look at the essay question's when the examiners flip through the tests to make sure everyone has every page.
What are some goods tricks to do during reading time for maths, english (not area of study) and all other subjects really
IF you want to risk it, scratch letters for multiple choice.

Look through essay questions for humanities and pick which ones you want to answer (in Economics where there is a choice) and start planning if you want.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
And remember, you get extra reading time because before "Reading Time" - you get to look through the paper you're given to make sure there's no printing errors :p

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
For maths what I found effective during reading time was flicking through the questions and categorising them into two categories.

"I've got this" or "I need time to think about this"

Since you are not allowed to pick up a pen, I do it in my head. Now, the "I need time to think about this" questions I try and map out a method that will get me the solution. By the end of reading time you can confidently write in the exam!

"I've got this" question are the ones when you look at it and instantly know what to do.

eat_well

HSC
For English I would look at the essay questions first and think of how to adapt what I know into the question. For Business Studies and science I skip to short answers first and see which questions I'm not too sure about and maybe see if multiple choice gives me any hints. For maths I skim through the paper and see what I can and can't do. I'm not a very good mental thinker though so by the time I actually get to do the questions I've completely forgotten what I thought about in reader time. Ehehe..I should try change that.

M

MichelleV

I always picked out which questions suited me, and which were going to take me more time (such as English where your doing a lot of writing)
That way I knew where I was going to start from and went from there.

Also re read the questions. Think about what syllabus point the question is referring to. Think about what your going to write, what needs to be in your answer.

I usually marked all the pages with my questions on them with my fingers, and as soon as we could write went backed and circled them/underlined key parts of the question.

madharris

HSC
N/A
I read questions, read texts/extracts, look for hard questions that I will do last

powlmao

Banned
HSC
IF you want to risk it, scratch letters for multiple choice.

Look through essay questions for humanities and pick which ones you want to answer (in Economics where there is a choice) and start planning if you want.
Hahaha my teachers say this for the trials

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
I usually marked all the pages with my questions on them with my fingers, and as soon as we could write went backed and circled them/underlined key parts of the question.
Any attempt to put markings on the paper during reading time, whether with a pen or fingernail, is a breach of exam rules. You run the very real risk of being caught and reported to the board of studies. Is it really worth potential loss of your HSC?

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Finger nails. Use them.

Also, the ink used in the externals smudges. Smudge the techniques in the reading task with your sweaty, sweaty hands.

BOSBOY

HSC
N/A
Once again for those who don't seem to get it:

"During reading time, you must not write, use any equipment including highlighters, or annotate your examination paper in any way."

"If you do not follow these rules, or if you cheat in the examinations in any way, you may be asked to leave the examination room and will be reported to the Board of Studies."

zeebobDD

HSC
Once again for those who don't seem to get it:

"During reading time, you must not write, use any equipment including highlighters, or annotate your examination paper in any way."

"If you do not follow these rules, or if you cheat in the examinations in any way, you may be asked to leave the examination room and will be reported to the Board of Studies."
oh is that right? use your saliva to mark the correct answer for MCQ and break down each of the questions into your easiest to hardest and do it that way:) (mathsbtw)

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I do MC in my head. It's seriously not hard to remember a string of 5-10 letters, so I don't know why you'd bother marking your paper when that can get you kicked out.

HSC
Lol I generally try to nut out the hard questions for maths (hasn't been any the last few tests ==) and English pretty much sit there and cry because the questions aren't suited to my memorise-regurgitate essay/narrative. OH WAIT THAT"S TOMORROW FML TRIALS SOMEONE SAVE ME T____T

addoil

HSC
During the reading time for Paper1 English, will you be kicked out if you fold the page to 'underline/mark' the quote?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)