• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Readings for Tuts (& Lectures)...? (1 Viewer)

UNSW !!
HSC
Hey Guys,

I have 3 units (of 4) that have a lot of assigned readings each week. I know its only week 3 but i feel myself overstressing about the reading.

I know people in older years don't do it (e.g. 'yeah they TELL you to read a lot...doesn't mean you do). But from my one week of tut experience, it's very confronting if you haven't done the reading (when they just call on you to answer questions about it)...

My question is - how do you survive a tut without having done the readings? And are the readings an integral part of passing a unit? (If people can do it, I'd like to stay the least stressed possible)

Thanks guys :)

Last edited:

tallkid34

In 25 words or less
HSC
Hey Guys,

I have 3 units (of 4) that have a lot of assigned readings each week. I know its only week 3 but i feel myself overstressing about the reading.

I know people in older years don't do it (e.g. 'yeah they TELL you to read a lot...doesn't mean you do). But from my one week of tut experience, it's very confronting if you haven't done the reading (when they just call on you to answer questions about it)...

My question is - how do you survive a tut without having done the readings? And are the readings an integral part of passing a unit? (If people can do it, I'd like to stay the least stressed possible)

Thanks guys :)
You're an arts student. From what I remember, you guys barely have any exams.

So if you're not doing your readings, what are you doing?

spence

HSC
Generally you should at least try to skim the readings before the tutes. That's usually enough to let you contribute at least a little bit

chewy123

OAM, FAICD, FAAS, MBBS
HSC
Depend on the subject. One way I get by is to read the self-study + tute question first, then flipped through the textbook with a heading relevant to the question, then read it and do the question at the same time.
This help me filter out useless reading and I will have something to say if I need to.

You do not have to read and understand every single thing in order to pass the course. Obviously the more you do the better your chance of getting a high mark. Understand the main points, and study reasonably, then all should be fine.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Just read it, its really not too hard. If you haven't, then just try and bullshit your way through the classes, based on the notes you have read.

Lydia_88

HSC
i'm starting to experience this with one of my courses (ARTS2633), where there is a plethora of reading to do...i take notes from them, although it doesn;t make sense...think this way will go for me (especially where i have to read 30 p.gs in a week...)

HSC
In my experience, 30 pages a week is not a lot. Most of my units require 75-125 pages a week, though I never do all of it.

I say read the abstract, introduction and conclusion of everything. Then look at the tutorial questions, and figure out what readings are most likely to help you answer them. If you're really lucky, your tutor will help you narrow down the readings each week as well.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
o_O

Just do the readings, it really isn't that hard hey.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
ngawww first year whinging about readings :(

its something you find out yourself how to do.

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
In my experience, 30 pages a week is not a lot. Most of my units require 75-125 pages a week, though I never do all of it.
that would be heaven haha.
long readings is the only reason why having a long commute is a plus.

HSC
that would be heaven haha.
long readings is the only reason why having a long commute is a plus.
last year i always spent my train rides reading, this year it seems like the trains are a zillion times more crowded (even though i'm travelling at the same times?) so i very rarely get a seat.

LordPc

HSC
last year i always spent my train rides reading, this year it seems like the trains are a zillion times more crowded (even though i'm travelling at the same times?) so i very rarely get a seat.
if you remember the train times were moved around a little bit toward the end of last year

i know that at my station one of the 830ish express trains to central was totally removed from the schedule

dawdlex3

HSC
ARGHHHHH readings.
Do your readings whenever you're not working on assignments. That's about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)