Really confused (1 Viewer)

Flop21

HSC
Who did you hear this from? I've only ever heard that from high school students...
I heard this as well. I can't remember where. I remember talking to an academic from UNSW that might have said / implied that UTS takes a more practical approach (I'm 90% sure he was talking about how UNSW > UTS academically - you know from a school/study stand point, while UTS emphasises the practical things more). I'm just attempting to repeat what he said, not my opinion as I have no idea.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd also consider travel times, as well as ease of getting there, be it via public transport, or driving etc.

vitamin D

HSC
Who did you hear this from? I've only ever heard that from high school students...
Teachers at my school, UTS open days (they emphasise it hard out) but on here its a complete different world, UNSW is praised upon, im just in the middle. Haven't developed any fully grounded understandings on both Unis just yet. And UTS also says theres an extra year and that year is solely for work experience and the employment rate for engineers in that uni is generally 100%. Im not sure though.

D94

HSC
N/A
Teachers at my school, UTS open days (they emphasise it hard out) but on here its a complete different world, UNSW is praised upon, im just in the middle. Haven't developed any fully grounded understandings on both Unis just yet.
Your teachers are in the same boat as students, they need to get that information from somewhere.

Of course UTS would promote that...they obviously need students and what better selling point is the claim that they have a practical approach. But what does that actually mean and why do they promote that? Do you ask these critical questions? Probably not, because UTS play on the gullibility of high school students, after 13 years of public education, doesn't the word 'practical' sound awesome?

In reality, the sciences need to be academic in nature. There's no point doing practicals if you're not grounded in the theory. University is higher education, it needs to be rigorous. I strongly doubt UTS is actually any more practical than UNSW or any uni, especially in the fundamentals. I'd be concerned if higher education wasn't rigorous and fundamental in nature.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
At OP.

For a start, why do have an interest in Mechanical, Mechatronics, Electrical or Civil? You need to answer these for yourself and work out what you want to do most.

They are different areas with quite a lot of different opportunities each. Where do you see yourself in the future? What do you want to do after university?

Look into the types of jobs on offer for each and see how you go. Look at the content of courses in each program. The university handbooks are your friend. Look at what is on offer and what you study in each.

As for a uni to go to, pick one that best suits you. Look at which uni is most convenient in terms of travel, which uni has an atmosphere you like most and which uni offers the best teaching approach applicable to what you want to study (this should be good for all the unis you listed, but do note there are quite a few differences between each school in each faculty of each uni).

vitamin D

HSC
Your teachers are in the same boat as students, they need to get that information from somewhere.

Of course UTS would promote that...they obviously need students and what better selling point is the claim that they have a practical approach. But what does that actually mean and why do they promote that? Do you ask these critical questions? Probably not, because UTS play on the gullibility of high school students, after 13 years of public education, doesn't the word 'practical' sound awesome?

In reality, the sciences need to be academic in nature. There's no point doing practicals if you're not grounded in the theory. University is higher education, it needs to be rigorous. I strongly doubt UTS is actually any more practical than UNSW or any uni, especially in the fundamentals. I'd be concerned if higher education wasn't rigorous and fundamental in nature.
Im getting a grasp of where you're going with. Everyone around me have been all about pracs pracs pracs, and made UNSW look like a uni only on prestiguous boring lectures ect. thanks.

vflaash

HSC
At OP.

For a start, why do have an interest in Mechanical, Mechatronics, Electrical or Civil? You need to answer these for yourself and work out what you want to do most.

They are different areas with quite a lot of different opportunities each. Where do you see yourself in the future? What do you want to do after university?

Look into the types of jobs on offer for each and see how you go. Look at the content of courses in each program. The university handbooks are your friend. Look at what is on offer and what you study in each.

As for a uni to go to, pick one that best suits you. Look at which uni is most convenient in terms of travel, which uni has an atmosphere you like most and which uni offers the best teaching approach applicable to what you want to study (this should be good for all the unis you listed, but do note there are quite a few differences between each school in each faculty of each uni).
I really like them because I found them the most interesting while I did engineering studies. I honestly would prefer machanical engineering but I heard electrical and civil has more job prospects and I did a bit of reasearch and in fact, it seemed pretty true. So I'm honestly really confused.

In terms of uni, USyd and UTS will take about 45 minutes via train but UNSW will take about twice or more as that. I didn't go to Usyd open day because I was at uts but I really liked UTS open day and UNSW. That's why I'm really confused because I've also heard that UNSW is one of the most prestigious uni's for engineering, and I'm one of those people who don't want to set their standards too low and aim for the highest goal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)