• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Reasons for racism. (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Explosions_Hurt

HSC
How has Abo history got any bearing on our current legal system? Derived from Britain...

Unless you are talking about laws made specifically for Abo people, which is racist in itself.
AHAHAHAHAHA. In what way is it racist?

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
i think most people dont really have a clue what 'racism' means because it assumes a billion different contexts many of which having only a tenuous relationship to each other

i really just see it as a word that minorities and others tend to use when they are losing arguments

rokkuguhyo

HSC
Your theory is rubbish: that's why nobody reacted to it.
It's not rubbish. Racism does sometimes stem from a lack of knowledge and understanding of other cultures, leading to assumptions and belief in negative stereotypes.

Explosions_Hurt

HSC
like many has pointed out, i feel that it is mainly a lack of understanding as well as a feeling of superiority of one's own race or values.
Well, obviously. You've basically just written the definition of 'racism'. It's a feeling of overriding superiority.

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
a lack of understanding of what? what is exactly so inscrutable about these people that we find them so difficult to understand? i 'understand' aboriginal culture perfectly; i just don't particularly like it and if given a chance, would avoid it when and where possible for a culture that i would prefer. if left to themselves people, will invariably seek out things that feel will most satisfy them. people who enjoy weight lifting may not enjoy spending time at the local chess club, and those that prefer the general temperament (compared group to group) and yes, APPEARENCES of whites to non-whites, will seek out the company of whites. there are probably many things you understand, but just by 'understanding' something does not imply that you will prefer it or wish to spend your life interacting with it. people sit together with people who are similiar to them not because everybody and everything else is such a total incomprehensible void to them, but because, well.. they like to be around people to whom they can relate to.

belief in negative stereotypes.
as if stereotypes and generalizations are solely the result of negative attitudes that emerge from 'not knowing enough' about people. if individuals in schools seem to notice that aboriginals are almost invariably in the bottom classes, sooner or later a generalization (which isnt even foisted upon them by the 'racist society'; generalizations and stereotypes naturally emerge from the human being's proclivity for pattern recognition) about aboriginals being bad in educational contexts or just plain unintelligent will quickly become common. this is not to say that all stereotypes are valid, but human behavior within groups tends to cluster around certain means, and stereotypes regarding these groups will emerge as a result of this. generalizations are an extremely useful tool to make sense of the world and people apply them towards EVERYTHING THEY DO; only regarding *human groups* has it become taboo to generalize regardless of the validity of these generalizations.

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
the frightening thing is she uses terms like 'assimilate nicely' without realise that in and of itself is racist.

jeshxcore

Premium Member :)
HSC
How has Abo history got any bearing on our current legal system? Derived from Britain...

Unless you are talking about laws made specifically for Abo people, which is racist in itself.
no, i'm talking about terra nullius. also, there ARE laws that the Queensland courts look over when sentencing Aboriginal people (those laws are their traditional customs) but its rarely used nowadays.

Last edited:

cosmo kramer

Banned
HSC
the frightening thing is she uses terms like 'assimilate nicely' without realise that in and of itself is racist.
it would be considered racist by our elites, but it isn't really.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
i don't claim i'm not racist, everyone is racist to a certain degree.
You presented 'assimilating nicely' as the alternative to forming cliques when it is equally as racist to expect it.

Why should people have to 'assimilate nicely'? I have more in common with international students than I do with dumb fuck bogans who piss away all their money at their NRL club. People are perfectly entitled to choose with whom they do and do not associate, regardless of the basis for that association. To single out race as the only factor by which cliques are formed is really strange when you are trying to critique racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)