Reckon I'll get into a BA here? (1 Viewer)

Bar901

HSC
My parents fully support me doing 2 degrees. And yes, that's what my brother is doing.
Seeing as your parents also support you through multiple years of acceleration that you clearly were not ready for, I don't believe their opinion holds much merit.

Nuclear

HSC
Oh, and also. I am a lot smarter than you guys are giving me credit for. I'm just lazy/try to hide it/apathetic. So it all add sup to me doing pretty crap unless I apply myself. And yes, it's a cliche thing to say, but I can only apply when I love what I'm doing, which is a really bad thing, but just how I am.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Oh, and also. I am a lot smarter than you guys are giving me credit for. I'm just lazy/try to hide it/apathetic. So it all add sup to me doing pretty crap unless I apply myself. And yes, it's a cliche thing to say, but I can only apply when I love what I'm doing, which is a really bad thing, but just how I am.
I understand this as i'm very similar myself, however if you are so quick to apathy and not being bothered you will get destroyed at uni. While some subjects will be enjoyable, some you will not be interested in and will suck big time. If you are not able to push yourself through such shit times, it is a big problem.

I'm not trying to say you are stupid or lazy, but you seem very quick to give up on things you are not interested in and it is inevitable that you will be forced to take many subjects at uni that you will simply hate.

Nuclear

HSC
I understand this as i'm very similar myself, however if you are so quick to apathy and not being bothered you will get destroyed at uni. While some subjects will be enjoyable, some you will not be interested in and will suck big time. If you are not able to push yourself through such shit times, it is a big problem.

I'm not trying to say you are stupid or lazy, but you seem very quick to give up on things you are not interested in and it is inevitable that you will be forced to take many subjects at uni that you will simply hate.
See, I've looked at the subject list & Descriptions for this course, and there's nothing I dislike.

There's 2 things I'm bad at, but that I'm still very interested in.

HSC
Trust me, if I just went off the subject list/description for my units this semester just gone I would have loved them.
Turns out they were AWFUL.

Those descriptions are a marketing tool. The uni is hardly going to say, oh, btw, this units actually got a shit coordinator, shit assessment and shit teaching methods.

I know I'm probably stating the obvious though, but maycat is completely correct IMO.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
See, I've looked at the subject list & Descriptions for this course, and there's nothing I dislike.

There's 2 things I'm bad at, but that I'm still very interested in.
lol, yes well it appears that way but those descriptions are usually pretty superficial. There were subjects i thought would be awesome and i would love and i really, really did not like them. You have no idea how the course will be taught and what the workload will be like, the content is also sometimes very different from what you were expecting.

Nuclear

HSC
Oh, yea, I know it's inevitable that I'll dislike at least a couple of subjects. I was just saying that I don't think there would a subject in this course that I couldn't find at least one thing I enjoyed.

EDIT: @above post: I see. Well, I can always mix and match over the course of the course? (Sorry, couldn't resist saying that :p)

Kiim2507

HSC

I agree. I'm fairly lazy and didn't care much through year 12. Ended up getting 77. Now I'm at uni and I'm basically getting Passes..which is ok but not great. The only subjects I've gotten credits in were ones I actually enjoyed (luckily I'm majoring in one of them).
If you're not willing to push yourself at high school you won't be willing to push yourself at uni.
Also subjects are very very different to whats described and when you read about them they all sound well and good but when you have to go to lectures and write essays it's a whole different story.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Oh, yea, I know it's inevitable that I'll dislike at least a couple of subjects. I was just saying that I don't think there would a subject in this course that I couldn't find at least one thing I enjoyed.

EDIT: @above post: I see. Well, I can always mix and match over the course of the course? (Sorry, couldn't resist saying that :p)
mm yes but the one thing in that course that you like probably wont be enough to outweigh the 100 shit things that you hate. My point is that you can't just give up on things and allow yourself to do badly at uni like you can in high school, it really is a big issue if you fail a few subjects.

Nuclear

HSC
mm yes but the one thing in that course that you like probably wont be enough to outweigh the 100 shit things that you hate. My point is that you can't just give up on things and allow yourself to do badly at uni like you can in high school, it really is a big issue if you fail a few subjects.
I understand that :)

HSC
+1

Nuclear, we're not attacking you or anything. Just giving you an idea of how uni works.
I do hope you get in though, it seems as if you really want this.

Nuclear

HSC
+1

Nuclear, we're not attacking you or anything. Just giving you an idea of how uni works.
I do hope you get in though, it seems as if you really want this.
I know. Earlier in the thread they were attacking me, but they were just trolling, so meh.

I appreciate your help, don't get me wrong. And I really do want this, just having a lot of self doubt. I should have been getting high 80's. But I was too lazy. I personally think it will be different with uni, but who knows?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I understand that :)
It's good that you understand that but from your descriptions of your past study trends im unsure if you will be able to deal with subjects you hate when you come to them. I'm not trying to crush your hopes and dreams, im just saying that sometimes it is best to wait and mature your skills as a student in an environment where fucking up doesn't come with such serious consequences. What a shame it would be if you went to uni before you were ready to deal with it and destroyed your love of the subject or had to drop out because you were doing so badly.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not that really, the priorities and preferences of myself and nearly everyone i know changed significantly between 14 and 19/20 (when most people start uni).
I look back to when I was 14 and 15 even, I can see so much immaturity and change over the years.

When I look back to when I'm 17, I'll seem so so young.

Nuclear

HSC
If I pushed through Emma and got an 89 in English in year 11, I can push through ANYTHING bahahaha.

HSC
I personally think it will be different with uni, but who knows?
Well I'm doing a whole lot better at uni than I ever did at school. But I honestly feel as though I'm more suited to the uni environment than a school one. Not everyone is like this though, its certainly a lot easier to fall behind, not turn up to lectures/tutes. Even in classes with compulsory attendance they don't chase you up, instead they fail you for non attendance. I know a few people who failed a first year core unit for not handing in a stupid 2% assignment - yes it was only 2% but if the course outline states all assessments must be handed in, you have no leg to stand on.

You have to really assess if you are ready for this kind of environment before you leap in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)