Recommended Texbooks/Study Guides for Preliminary HSC? (1 Viewer)

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Timothy.Siu said:
so i shud get it?
I haven't seen the HSC one yet, so I can't really comment yet. I'll see if I can borrow it from the library and see whether it's good or not. If the Preliminary one was any indication though, the HSC should be pretty damn good. :D

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Timothy.Siu said:
so i shud get it?
I don't know. If you are satisfied with your current textbooks it's not necessary. But if you want extra resources and practice questions you can get it.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC
kaz1 said:
I don't know. If you are satisfied with your current textbooks it's not necessary. But if you want extra resources and practice questions you can get it.
ok i'll see, prolly get it then if i can find a cheap copy

12o9

HSC
Continuum said:
I haven't seen the HSC one yet, so I can't really comment yet. I'll see if I can borrow it from the library and see whether it's good or not. If the Preliminary one was any indication though, the HSC should be pretty damn good. :D
marcquelle said:
i've seen chem contexts 2, its fantastic pwn most others, jacarandas is good too.
Yeah, context is probably your best bet. Conquering and Jacaranda aren't so bad though. It depends on your personal preference, I guess.

unni91

HSC
Buy campbell text books for maths they have really hard maths questions and if u can do them ull get really good marks in ur tests also try getting excel and do all the questions because the more books are pretty bad but dot point books for all science is really useful.

heart-station

HSC
N/A
Help with textbook for preliminary?

Hi there everyone :)

I'm going to be in year 11 next year and i was wondering which text book i should get for maths. I'm doing maths extension 1 and so far i'm planning to get a 2u preliminary textbook and a HSC one. I'm thinking of getting the Lyn Baker Excel HSC mathematics one (newer version?). Is that a good textbook? Because i flipped through it and it seems alright. And which textbook should i get for preliminary that will go well with the HSC one.

Thanks guys, any help will be appreciated!

EDIT: :D

Another question, what should i be studying for preliminary english? I'm pretty lost on the whole learning structure and what i'm learning next year. I'm doing advanced english and extension 1, are there any textbooks that may help me?

Last edited:

aimhigh10

HSC
Re: Help with textbook for preliminary?

I bought the Cambridge 3u textbook, its our school textbook and apparently covers the 2u syllabus as well
it seems to be pretty good, but i could be wrong, havent done a lot of exercises out of it :p

I hear the Fitzpatrick textbook is an exceptionally good textbook, and it covers yr 11 and yr 12. You can choose if you want to buy the 2u or 3u.
A lot of BOSers are selling their books in the sell forum, so checking there would be a good beginning....

hope this helps :)

aimhigh10

HSC
Does anyone know the best preliminary French Continuers textbook/study guide by any chance?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
aimhigh10 said:
Does anyone know the best preliminary French Continuers textbook/study guide by any chance?
how do you define "best". It's quite a controversial term...

I suggest you visit Language forum. They usually have this "stickied" thread talking about "best" textbooks.

aimhigh10

HSC
Ok
for French
the Schaums series is pretty good
http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDetails/ProductDetail.aspx?R=9780070138872
in terms of textbooks it kind of depends, but it is helpful to read as much french (articles, stories, webpages) as you can to build up your vocabulary and using french in everyday language is also effective, e.g. writing numbers in french instead of english. Little things gradually build up and make a difference.
I think I might take a course at the Alliance Francaise over the summer or during term,
1. because it is an opportunity to expand my french
2. the teachers there actually have exercises, etc which you can practice on
you can check on the site, http://www.afsydney.com.au/, for details

Another useful idea is to go to the library and borrow any teacher resource guides, as this way you can practice listening tests, and sometimes they have exercises as well. This may be useful depending on whether or not you have learnt the topics covered in the book yet or not.

My school uses the textbook 'Ca Y Est'. I have not yet got it, but once I do I shall comment on its rating as a 'good' or whether it is the 'best' book for French Continuers.

Hope this helps everyone doing French Continuers in year 11 next year. :)

heart-station

HSC
N/A
Re: Help with textbook for preliminary?

Thanks for the recommendation :)
But will the 3u be efficient enough for someone who basically only knows yr 10-based content? I'm not doing accelerated or tutoring... so i really want to find the right combination of books that will allow me to learn efficiently :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)