Recommended Textbooks/Study Guides for Year 12 HSC (1 Viewer)

findx

HSC
hey, im currently in year 11 and year 12 is getting on my nerves so i want to start looking over yr12 work in the coming holidays

what are some really GOOD textbooks/study guides for these subjects?

Advanced English
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Maths Extension 2

thanks! :)

Official

Bring it on
HSC
hey, im currently in year 11 and year 12 is getting on my nerves so i want to start looking over yr12 work in the coming holidays

Advanced English
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Maths Extension 2

Maths Ext 2 - Cambridge

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Business Studies

-Leading edge textbook/ workbook

-HSC success pastpaper workbooks 2010 or 2011

-Board of studies business studies workbook 2010

-Dot Point 2010 business studies

goobi

HSC

Advanced English
Business Studies
Legal Studies
Maths Extension 2

Although I'm in Year 11, I'm recommended to purchase the following textbooks for Year 12:

Legal Studies: Cambridge + Heinemann
Math Extension 2: Patel + Terry Lee

steph_g

HSC
cambridge for legal studies! although macmillan is good for cases (not info).
advanced: depends on what modules you are doing - teachers tend to advise the Top Notes range over excel, although I have the As You Like It Excel AOS guide and I think it's awesome. it gives you a run down on each section of the belonging exam, info for belonging, in depth analysis of your text including how it relates to belonging e.g. relationships, environment, plus a deconstruction of two related texts you could use.

findx

HSC
so it would be better spending money on textbooks rather than excel/macquarie study guides?

lil_pembo

HSC
textbooks have better detail, study guides are only good for making notes. Excel will only give you basic info, no where near as detailed. But they are still alright. Bit mainstream though.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
My advice for you during the holidays:

English
- Read the syllabus and gain a brief understanding of the module, even if you haven't started it (e.g. ask your teacher if your going to be doing Texts in Time in Module A, or Yeats in Module B, or Julius Caesar in Module C etc.)
- Read all your prescribed texts and watch films for Eng advanced. Based on the reading of the module - underline quotes in the book while your reading, note key scenes in the film
- Make a reading log, briefly summarizing each chapter of the books with the relevant quotes. Do this on microsoft word. Learn the quotes - bold them
- Find related texts, for belonging it's easy. I used Of Mice and Men (only 110 pages), read/analyse the books/films/poems you use as related texts. Remember for an essay, you'd only need 4 quotes (essays should be focused more so on your prescribed text, I think 65-35 is a good way to split it in the body, but if your asked for two related texts, you need to do justice to both related texts equally) , so if you grasp an understanding of the text, and know a few key quotes you'll be fine

Legal Studies

- Use the Cambridge HSC Legal Studies book by Milgate et al; 2010.
- This is probably one of the better textbooks out there but, it lacks sufficient case law, legislation and media reports - which legal responses must be based on!
- The HSC for legal is split up like this: 20 multiple choice on Crime and Human rights + 15 marks short answers on human rights + 15 mark extended response on crime + 2 x 25 mark extended responses on your options (I did family and consumer law)
- The textbook is good for the 20 multiple choice, and to an extent for the 15 mark human rights short answers. But it's not as good for the extended responses, where you need less content and more so evaluation, through cases, legislation and media reports.
- Legal studies is up to research. You need to use austlii and other sites for finding cases/legislation etc. Make sure you keep a log of media reports throughout the year that relate to the topics
-Base your notes on the themes and challenges of the syllabus - print the syllabus out and make dotpoint notes for crime and human rights, but use examples - cases, legislation and media reports
- I have some notes on human rights and crime (and the options, if your doing the same as I). Send me an message on my wall/email me, if you would like these notes

Btw, use study guides for legal - imo better than the textbook. Same with English. Try the Excel ones, and go through the Cambridge study guide as well.

Damn I give pretty good advice. Lol, wish I actually followed this, this time last year!

All the best with the HSC! :p

findx

HSC
My advice for you during the holidays:

English
- Read the syllabus and gain a brief understanding of the module, even if you haven't started it (e.g. ask your teacher if your going to be doing Texts in Time in Module A, or Yeats in Module B, or Julius Caesar in Module C etc.)
- Read all your prescribed texts and watch films for Eng advanced. Based on the reading of the module - underline quotes in the book while your reading, note key scenes in the film
- Make a reading log, briefly summarizing each chapter of the books with the relevant quotes. Do this on microsoft word. Learn the quotes - bold them
- Find related texts, for belonging it's easy. I used Of Mice and Men (only 110 pages), read/analyse the books/films/poems you use as related texts. Remember for an essay, you'd only need 4 quotes (essays should be focused more so on your prescribed text, I think 65-35 is a good way to split it in the body, but if your asked for two related texts, you need to do justice to both related texts equally) , so if you grasp an understanding of the text, and know a few key quotes you'll be fine

Legal Studies

- Use the Cambridge HSC Legal Studies book by Milgate et al; 2010.
- This is probably one of the better textbooks out there but, it lacks sufficient case law, legislation and media reports - which legal responses must be based on!
- The HSC for legal is split up like this: 20 multiple choice on Crime and Human rights + 15 marks short answers on human rights + 15 mark extended response on crime + 2 x 25 mark extended responses on your options (I did family and consumer law)
- The textbook is good for the 20 multiple choice, and to an extent for the 15 mark human rights short answers. But it's not as good for the extended responses, where you need less content and more so evaluation, through cases, legislation and media reports.
- Legal studies is up to research. You need to use austlii and other sites for finding cases/legislation etc. Make sure you keep a log of media reports throughout the year that relate to the topics
-Base your notes on the themes and challenges of the syllabus - print the syllabus out and make dotpoint notes for crime and human rights, but use examples - cases, legislation and media reports
- I have some notes on human rights and crime (and the options, if your doing the same as I). Send me an message on my wall/email me, if you would like these notes

Btw, use study guides for legal - imo better than the textbook. Same with English. Try the Excel ones, and go through the Cambridge study guide as well.

Damn I give pretty good advice. Lol, wish I actually followed this, this time last year!

All the best with the HSC! :p
thanks for the detailed advice :D

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
Btw I meant 4 quotes for the related text(s)^. In the essay, you'd have more on the prescribed, of course.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Cambridge for 4U isn't absolutely the best, but 3U/2U definitely are...but there's heaps of threads on this already I believe.
have to disagree this. i found that 2u/3u cambridge arent really good but that's only me.

in 2U/3U:
fitzpatrick > cambridge

in 4U:
terry lee >>>>>>>>>> cambridge > fitzpatrick

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Ergh...Terry Lee. I couldn't stand his books. And he's a jerk as a person.

findx

HSC
what are some websites to buy these textbooks? or its better to visit the bookshop?

:blink2:

parrafan21

HSC
what are some websites to buy these textbooks? or its better to visit the bookshop?

:blink2:
fishpond, textbooks online, or direct from the publisher

you should consider searching around to find the cheapest.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
2/3U Maths - Fitzpatrick
4U Maths - Cambridge/Terry Lee
Physics and Chemistry - Jacaranda/Spotlight

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)