Recycled Water: Your Opinion (1 Viewer)

el gwapo

HSC
We've heard about that old bloke bragging about Morris Iemma's plan to plug up our water supplies through desalination and 'digging deeper' for more groundwater. But recycled water, when given the right forms of cleaning of greywater and rainwater, is absolutely fine. I have not yet heard or seen European countries seeing mass health problems from recycled water. Perhaps it is the fear of failure in the government's ability to provide us with high standards of recycled water that is pulling it back.

Sure, it tastes a little bit chlorine-y in the shower, but it hasn't killed me thus far after living in Europe for a couple of years. I would rather see this than Level 4 water restrictions.

What's the opinion on recycled water here?

BlackDragon

HSC
Re: Recycled Water: Where the hell is it?

Yes. Recycled water is fine. Millions of europeans and asian people use it every day...
The water we drink was once just as dirty as recycled water ever was. So what's the problem?

cs01001

HSC

I wouldn't mind drinking recyled water if they are properly cleaned. As long as authorities such as Sydney Water can prove it to be harmless. The 'clean' water we are currently drinking came through in big rusty pipes anyway. So No objections to recycled water here!

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC

As Blackdragon said, the water that we currently drink from Warragamba, contains the same types of excrement, pollutants and the like, which are filtered out of the water. People will have to face up to the reality of recycled water in the future, and the reason the NSW Government remains opposed to the idea, is that it is not politically expedient to promote it..

HSC

I'd like it see it happen. Definitely a situation where people don't know what's good for them, primarily through willful ignorance and an inability to admit that something needs to be done about the dwindling water supply.

cowface

HSC

el gwapo said:
What's the opinion on recycled water here?
I was taught in Grade 4 that all water on earth was recycled anyway.

We can leave it to Allah/God or we can do it ourselves.

HotShot

-_-
HSC

REcycled water is cleaner, purer and has higher standards than current drinking water - so what they do they mix it with drinking water.

After it is recycled the water it sent back into the dam.

its cleaner the than the water that you drinking now. SOmetimes drinking a little bit impure water is good for - helps build immunisation!

cheesman

HSC

in all honesty, its just irrational/arrogant or just a product of ingorance that people dont want to have recycled water.
there are obviously more good points than bad (which im yet to hear of)
yeh it is cleaner than the water in warragamba.
not only that but as someone else said, all water on earth is recycled and has been used b4 over millions of years.
how is it that we argue over using recycled water just cause of the "yuck" factor, when people have no water at all overseas. its ridiculous.

I hear that Iemma gave in to "please the people" and said basically, hes gonna stuff the whole idea and wont force ppl to drink pure, recycled drought curing all because of a yuck factor.
stupid
well Iemma, come up with a more efficient plan than a dodgy desalination plant that wont cure the drought, and is seemingly less efficient than having recycled water.
i
heard today on the radio, that if we had been recylcing water in the last 4yrs, warragamba dam would be overflowing right now.

Well, despite all the arguing, at least i know one decision's been made..I am not voting labour for the state election.

BlackDragon

HSC

..Stupid Toowoomba..
The vocal, ignorant minority wins again!

Kujah

HSC
N/A

As long as I don't get any health problems, I'm open to drinking recycling water

PrettyVacant

HSC

cowface said:
I was taught in Grade 4 that all water on earth was recycled anyway.

We can leave it to Allah/God or we can do it ourselves.
Yeah, isn't all the water we drink a billion years old anyway? Those molecules you're drinking have probably been in a million sewer systems and passed through dozens of bodies.

BlackDragon

HSC

Exphate said:
Idiot people out there that think: "Oh noz! Its recycled sewerage. There goin to be poopy floating in my water glass"

Idiots win again.

Recycled water ftw.

Id rather drink rw and live than not have water and die
Indeed. If you offered clean, readily available recycled water to the some of the poorest countries in the world I'm sure they would never, ever think twice or look back. But for some reason, we can't accept it. Or, our politicians and media can't accept it.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC

I only heard on the radio today that Iemma claimed that there was far too many errors that can occur in recylcing water. 80% of which were human error.

Doesn't seem like a good enough reason. There are ways to keep errors minimal.

Anyway

Iemma says no to recycled water
January 29, 2007 - 4:16PM

NSW residents will not be forced to drink recycled waste water under the State Labor Government's strategy, Premier Morris Iemma said today.

Mr Iemma denied suggestions his Government could force people to drink recycled water after the March 24 state election if catchment levels continued to drop.

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie has announced residents of his drought-stricken state will be drinking recycled water by the end of next year now that dam levels had reached 23 per cent.

Sydney catchment levels are hovering at just over 30 per cent, but Mr Iemma said the NSW Government had more water reserves than Queensland to cope with shortages in its capital city.

...Prime Minister John Howard has backed Mr Beattie's water recycling plan, saying other state governments would have to go down the same path.

Mr Beattie has asked Mr Howard to contribute $408 million towards a $1.7 billion recycled water pipeline in the Queensland's south-east.
Full SMH Article

BlackDragon

HSC

SMH said:
Queensland Premier Peter Beattie has announced residents of his drought-stricken state will be drinking recycled water by the end of next year now that dam levels had reached 23 per cent.

Sydney catchment levels are hovering at just over 30 per cent, but Mr Iemma said the NSW Government had more water reserves than Queensland to cope with shortages in its capital city.

...Prime Minister John Howard has backed Mr Beattie's water recycling plan, saying other state governments would have to go down the same path.
Good on beattie.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
The processes of desalinisation and recycling are in essence very similar - except one requires high end technology + more energy which means it is more expensive (this desalinisation_ I find it hard to believe that if recycling water would have a fair few errors and desalinisation wouldnt.

REcycling is a far simpler process and has been used many countries. Desalinisation is much newer technology and typically used where there is virtually no water whatsoever (Saudi Arabai, UAE etc - middle east).

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
personally, if somebody handed me a bottle of recycled water, psychologically, i dunno if i could do it (irrational, i know)

but if it was coming throuh my taps mixed in the the "normal" water, i wouldnt really give a fuck, and would support it 100%

brightsea

HSC
I've got no problem with recycled water. Everyone is against it because it's referred to by the Iemma government as recycled sewage and people can't think for themselves. Damn propaganda.:chainsaw:

Oh and I <3 Beattie.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC

ogmzergrush said:
I'd like it see it happen. Definitely a situation where people don't know what's good for them, primarily through willful ignorance and an inability to admit that something needs to be done about the dwindling water supply.
Agreed, and that of course is why something needs to be done to safe guard our future. It was because governments in the past were reluctant to take action (although the problem wasn't as immediate as it is now) that in some cities and towns in Australia that we are now in this situation.

Current governments can't sit back and hope the problem will go away, because the fact of the matter is the draught, globe warming, environment change and all the others with their effects are here to stay. With Sydney's dam levels already at peck lows (less then 30% now?) what will the government do in 2.5-3 years when the damn is run dry? Who will Sydney siders blame then? The current government for not taking action? Themselves for not forcing the governments hand? The lack of immanency the government seems to have regarding solutions to the water crisis?

I mean let's fact it the draught doesn't look set to break and even if it does it will take a substantial amount of rain because dams are back to where they should be. Recycling water is a viable, globally tested solution and it will work. All this hysteria people have about drinking recycled water is absolute bull the water company and government bodies won't let recycled water be put back into the system until it is up to standard and has passed all the testing and completed all the refining, which as someone said already happens now anyway.

Maybe if the government put it's foot down like in QLD, explained the situation and actually what would happen if no action was taken and then explained how the water is treated now and how recycled water is treated then maybe people wouldn't be so hesitant to decline it.

In short yes I am all for it.

cuppy

HSC
N/A
i really don't know what to think.

but i reckon that if someone gave me a glass of recycled water i wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)