Recycled Water: Your Opinion (1 Viewer)

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
So you would rather have no water?

I mean seriously the government and water bodies will not let substandard water enter the system and the health authorities you can be assured will be checking to make sure it meets standards. It's treated, it's clean and it's drinkable anything else is in your head.

Because that is the cold hard fact of the matter if something isn't done be it recycled water or desalination Sydney's water will run out and it will be the people and the governments own fault for not doing something about it when for the last x amount of years they have watched the dams water levels fall to record lows.

The media, the government and water authorities are telling everyone that dams will run out in the next few years, the time to act is now.

But I don’t live in Sydney and our dams are fine with no water restricts and nothing on the cards (although I do think nation wide we should be on water restrictions just to save more water and get the country used to it).

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
If the government didn't even tell us that we're drinking recycled water, I doubt there will be people feeling grossed from drinking it. On the other hand, they could get into big trouble in the future if they didn't tell us in hte first place.

lengy

HSC
I don't drink water anyways. They should introduce it and not tell us. Ignorance is bliss.

BlackDragon

HSC
AntiHyper said:
If the government didn't even tell us that we're drinking recycled water, I doubt there will be people feeling grossed from drinking it. On the other hand, they could get into big trouble in the future if they didn't tell us in hte first place.
lol if they put it in without telling us people wouldn't even notice a thing. nothing at all. but i bet when they found out there would be a HUGE uproar about it with everyone getting all angry about being forced to drink water which they can't differentiate from the normal stuff. Great logic there, huh?

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Iemma sucks balls with that attitude. If you're against recycled water, you clearly need a swift karate chop to the face. Drink it or don't drink it, I don't care, all I know is that I'd much rather drink recycled water than no water at all.

kc-ok-la

HSC
many of you, like the politiaans against it are clowns,

in singapore, we do it every single bloody day,
you cant tell the difference really
some studies even suggests its even better.

the water you piss in and the water you shit in and the water you use to wash your dishes, has been cleaned real good.

its not like the recycled toilet paper from the super markets that tend to have a dark brownish kinda color to it!!!!

Recyclyed water for the win!

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC
as others have said in this thread, as long as there is enough preventative measures in place to ensure the water isnt tainted to a level that is harmful to our health then i have no problem drinking it.

That said, the absense of water restrictions and near capacity dams near where i live pretty much eliminates the need for recycled water to be coming out of my taps any time in the immediate future.

HSC
we are going to need recycled water sooner or later. the dams won't be enough to support the population real soon and then we will have no choice but to drink the water....it doesnt seem as though health issues have arisen so i say why the hell not?

HSC
N/A
Apropos "digging deeper," while practical, that will aggravate the situation at hand even further.

And yes, water has been recycled on this planet for aeons; why should they not have begun their querulousness aeons ago, as well.

Given that desalination uses reverse osmosis, a process so precise that it can remove chemicals and contaminants at the molecular level, to convert sea water to potable water, and the cost of desalination plumetting, I for one would be in support of this; but then again, I did say would, and also did not mention the ethical, moral, scientific, and legal implications of this intricate topic of discussion that cannot be dealt with in only one facet, but rather, several.

Now, my personal opinion is that, sure, if this is does not end up diseasing a significant figure (one is already significant), is a-okay, and is backed by a majority of the public, then why not continue its utilisation?

Now, with science, the environmental impact of the desalination must however be taken into consideration. As per the Centre for Experimentation and Study of Public Works, the desalination of 500 hm³ of water will implicate emission of 0.8 to 2.5 million tons of CO². In addition to this, desalination plants consume vast amounts of energy, because the water is propelled in the system under high pressure.
To boot, the discharge of brine concentrated with salts, phosphates, chlorines, and greasy acids also produce a negative impact on the marine ecosystem.

Seriously, how is this different from, say, using nuclear energy?

Edit:
lengy said:
I don't drink water anyways. They should introduce it and not tell us. Ignorance is bliss.
With all due respect, lengy, the first statement is inane; the second is unethical, illegal, and moronic; the latest statement is a trite saying, which is on par with one-liners such as "War is peace; freedom is slavery; ignorance is strength." Well, that's not true, actually.:p
Still, you must drink water in a modified form!:)

Last edited:

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Recycled water has been used worldwide but mainly in Southwestern United States where the land is really thirsty. They don't seem to have a problem becuase that's the best way they can obtain water for domestic usage in an area with very low rainfalls.

Singaporeans also drink recycled water because they find it cheaper than desal. and more obtainable than rainwater tanks and other sources.

Bear in mind that less than 1% of water we use is drunk. I know that the quality of recycled water is a bit worse than other sources but will be o.k if it meets safety and health regulations given that we are in a dry country.

kc-ok-la said:
many of you, like the politiaans against it are clowns,

in singapore, we do it every single bloody day,
you cant tell the difference really
some studies even suggests its even better.

the water you piss in and the water you shit in and the water you use to wash your dishes, has been cleaned real good.

its not like the recycled toilet paper from the super markets that tend to have a dark brownish kinda color to it!!!!

Recyclyed water for the win!
Just say I had a party and I gave all my guests each a glass of water and halfway through, I told that that used to be sewage, the looks on their faces would be pretty amusing.
:karate:

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Lucid Scintilla said:
Apropos "digging deeper," while practical, that will aggravate the situation at hand even further.

And yes, water has been recycled on this planet for aeons; why should they not have begun their querulousness aeons ago, as well.

Given that desalination uses reverse osmosis, a process so precise that it can remove chemicals and contaminants at the molecular level, to convert sea water to potable water, and the cost of desalination plumetting, I for one would be in support of this; but then again, I did say would, and also did not mention the ethical, moral, scientific, and legal implications of this intricate topic of discussion that cannot be dealt with in only one facet, but rather, several.

Now, my personal opinion is that, sure, if this is does not end up diseasing a significant figure (one is already significant), is a-okay, and is backed by a majority of the public, then why not continue its utilisation?

Now, with science, the environmental impact of the desalination must however be taken into consideration. As per the Centre for Experimentation and Study of Public Works, the desalination of 500 hm³ of water will implicate emission of 0.8 to 2.5 million tons of CO². In addition to this, desalination plants consume vast amounts of energy, because the water is propelled in the system under high pressure.
To boot, the discharge of brine concentrated with salts, phosphates, chlorines, and greasy acids also produce a negative impact on the marine ecosystem.

Seriously, how is this different from, say, using nuclear energy?

Edit: With all due respect, lengy, the first statement is inane; the second is unethical, illegal, and moronic; the latest statement is a trite saying, which is on par with one-liners such as "War is peace; freedom is slavery; ignorance is strength." Well, that's not true, actually.:p
Still, you must drink water in a modified form!:)
U SLut, Ethics, morals etc etc Should be no barriers for eternal glory!

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
recycled water is the best option for sydney's water crisis, if u were given a water sample from recycled and fresh water, you wouldnt know the difference...same taste, smell, colour...its merely a psychological factor that people dont want recycled water...

It's ironic how we are surrounded by water, and yet we are running out (a desalination plant....sounds good, who gives a fuck, how much it costs, its better then having to shower with a glass of water every day in the near future...)

"water, water everywhere, nor any drop to drink"

:D

HSC
N/A
HotShot said:
U SLut, Ethics, morals etc etc Should be no barriers for eternal glory!
U SLut? What the fuck is that?

So, my point is that, why should we give a shat about whiny protestors, and, yes, I do support this product/service (of 'recycled' water).
wrxsti said:
psychological factor that people dont want recycled water...
Amen!
It's not the water that's dirty; it's our minds.
So says the Government.

MichaelJackson2

Moonwalker
HSC
my high school science teacher told me that every time u drink a glass of water, that water has been drank by SIX differen't animals throughout history. the tossers going 'ohh noooo yucky yucky i'm gonna get poisoned!' shud realise it's just mind over matter.

wagga

HSC
Recycled water is passed through micropore filters. The pores in these filters are too fine to allow any micro organisms to pass through, therefore there is no risk of illness from drinking it.

Considering it uses far less energy than desal, it is only the ignorance of the population in general and iemma's pathetic pandering to that prejudice that prevents it from being introduced.

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
Re: Recycled Water: Where the hell is it?

Kujah said:
As long as I don't get any health problems, I'm open to drinking recycling water
and thats something else i agree on.
but where does the recylced water come from if we dont have water ??

Optophobia

HSC
Re: Recycled Water: Where the hell is it?

Exactly. If we have x amount of water in our dam today, only a small portion of that water is consumed by humans and flushed down the toilet. A lot goes into industry, watering the garden, filling up water balloons to chuck at old women, etc.

They need to balance between desalination, recycling sewage and capturing drain water.

el gwapo

HSC
Quite a lot of rain today... wouldn't most of that isn't in catchment go back to the sea anyway?

Recycled water comes from water used?... and Sydney uses a lot of water daily.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
wagga said:
Recycled water is passed through micropore filters. The pores in these filters are too fine to allow any micro organisms to pass through, therefore there is no risk of illness from drinking it.

Considering it uses far less energy than desal, it is only the ignorance of the population in general and iemma's pathetic pandering to that prejudice that prevents it from being introduced.
Well bloody said! Pretty much sums it up, I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)