Reference Letters from teachers (1 Viewer)

ShadowLighte

HSC
So I graduated form high school this year and my mum is making me get reference letters from my teachers. I think it's a waste of time because getting a job at my age and level of experience (I have none) doesn't require a reference letter. Employers want reference letters that show experience in the work field, not school. High school at that.

She says it's a judgement of character but I'm pretty sure they can see what I'm like when they interview me. Part time jobs at retail outlets and whatnot don't need reference letters from teachers, I'm pretty sure.

What can I tell her to convince her that I don't need reference letters from my teachers? I really don't want to have to go back. The awkwardness.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Where are you thinking of applying?

I think it's worth having those reference letters, especially if you don't have any existing experience elsewhere. An employer always needs something to do a background check on a prospective employee.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Agreed it makes for a good reference of character but I wouldn't go to all your teachers. Depending on how involved you were in your school and your own relationships, I'd go for maybe the principal/deputy principal and a key teacher whom you had a strong connection with. It's quality not quantity in this case and you'd hope that the letter/reference would describe you in a way which your report card/marks wouldn't.

Some schools also have a more formal way of giving references- e.g. for us if you hit all the merit card requirements, ticked enough EC boxes, etc, you could get a Principal's Letter of Commendation. They had it in the merit card system for years but noone ever hit it, let alone asked for one... but then I did :) It actually looked really good in my CV folder.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Did your school issue you with a reference? A lot of schools do that as a matter of course.

These days I am rarely asked for a reference simply as a teacher because the school provides such a detailed one but when asked I always provide a personal reference including comments about work ethic, attitude to challenges, willingness to assist others etc.

Having one or two of those types of references certainly can't hurt you and will also give the potential employer some people who know you someone to contact to have a chat about you.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think I'll ever be using my reference letter. Not that its bad or anything, but no employers really want one

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Probably best only to ask for a reference from teachers who really know you..

Plus you only need a couple of references for your resume anyway.

xEmily

HSC
how do you present your reference letter? Do you bring it with you on the interview or do you give it to them attached to the resume? total newb soz

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
how do you present your reference letter? Do you bring it with you on the interview or do you give it to them attached to the resume? total newb soz
I would attach it to the back, or simply put in your application/CV that reference letter available upon request.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LandCo

HSC
N/A
School reference letters are a bunch of bs put into a paragraph or two (mines good but; pointless). I leave my teacher's contact details as referees on my resume for employers to check up with them cause I see my teachers every day and they would tell the truth and shiet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)