Related Texts (1 Viewer)

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I'll be starting Year 12 in Term 4, 2015.

So this year was the first time I was introduced to related texts.

So. I don't know the Module names BUT, do I need related texts for:
1. [AOS - Discovery] Hamlet
2. [Comparative Study] The Great Gatsby (I think) & Film --> which then leads to the speech
3. And I think POETRY is the last part?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You need related text for Discovery and Module C, you should study 3 modules and one area of study in year 12.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
You need related text for Discovery and Module C, you should study 3 modules and one area of study in year 12.
Oh! 3 Modules AND AOS?! I thought it was only A, B and C.

So I need it for my AOS (Discovery)

Could you clarify what the 3 Modules are? I have had a look but I still don't understand

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Oh! 3 Modules AND AOS?! I thought it was only A, B and C.

So I need it for my AOS (Discovery)

Could you clarify what the 3 Modules are? I have had a look but I still don't understand
I think your teacher would be in the best position to do so, I think module A is related to comparative study-you basically have two prescribed text of different textual forms and you compare them to the way specified in the relevant rubric, module B is critical study-often you have a series of speeches/poems or a set text of some kind-and it is very heavily focused on techniques-and how text speaks to a particular audience of their time and resonate beyond that time to engage even with contemporary audiences through timeless ideas-textual integrity would be a core idea you will learn about. Module C-I am not too sure, but it will involve a related text of some kind and you have to connect it to the prescribed and the relevant rubric, and area of study should be pretty straight forward-prescribed text and related-on discovery.

WrittenLoveLetters

배고파
HSC
I think your teacher would be in the best position to do so, I think module A is related to comparative study-you basically have two prescribed text of different textual forms and you compare them to the way specified in the relevant rubric, module B is critical study-often you have a series of speeches/poems or a set text of some kind-and it is very heavily focused on techniques-and how text speaks to a particular audience of their time and resonate beyond that time to engage even with contemporary audiences through timeless ideas-textual integrity would be a core idea you will learn about. Module C-I am not too sure, but it will involve a related text of some kind and you have to connect it to the prescribed and the relevant rubric, and area of study should be pretty straight forward-prescribed text and related-on discovery.
Ah okay! So its four parts in English Advanced HSC? Thats fine :)

My teacher isn't reliable, so. Thats why I seek help from the forums instead ^_____^ Thanks :D

PhysicsMaths

HSC
For mod c, you're either doing "representing people and landscapes/politics" and you will basically have to find at most 2 related texts that supplement or argue against the main ideas of your prescribed text in relation to the way people and landscapes/politics are represented
Mod b won't require a related text, but you will have to consider the perspectives of a few critics and basically incorporate their ideas into your essay (note that you shouldn't use their quotes as an individual point, but rather in a way that supports your main argument)

Also, just to clarify any confusion that you might have:
The advanced English paper is split up into four main sections: AOS Discovery + modules A, B and C
AOS discovery consists of:
Comprehension - you are provided with a series of "unseen texts" (pictures, poems, extracts from articles etc) and are required to answer short-answer style questions (questions based on the individual texts, and one big question at the end that requires you to synthesise all of the ideas together)
Creative writing - you are given stimuli such as a picture or a quotation and you have to incorporate the idea or quote into your piece
Discovery essay - you are given an essay question, and have to centralise your entire essay around the question by making detailed reference to your prescribed text + 1 or 2 related texts that you prepare beforehand

As for the modules, I think they are all essay questions

KotaBear99

HSC
Hi there!
I am currently doing my HSC Advanced English too! You don't have to listen to me, but I do have some pointers for you!

We needed a related text for our AOS - We did 'Away' by Michael Gow and I think my related text was 'The Vow' (Film). You will write about this in Paper 1 of your HSC exam.

We needed a related text for Module C - We did Representing People and Landscapes and studied 'Clay' by Melissa Harrison. I chose 2 related texts for this, they were both poetry.

For Module A & B, we don't need related texts. We are studying poetry and doing a comparitive study :)

My teacher told me that when were chosing our texts, don't choose one of the same medium. So like, if you're doing a Play, don't do another play as your related text. If you're doing a film, don't choose another film for your related text!

Hope this helps! And don't worry about a thing, you'll be fine! I'm 16 and doing my HSC, you're gonna smash it!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
For mod c, you're either doing "representing people and landscapes/politics" and you will basically have to find at most 2 related texts that supplement or argue against the main ideas of your prescribed text in relation to the way people and landscapes/politics are represented
Mod b won't require a related text, but you will have to consider the perspectives of a few critics and basically incorporate their ideas into your essay (note that you shouldn't use their quotes as an individual point, but rather in a way that supports your main argument)

Also, just to clarify any confusion that you might have:
The advanced English paper is split up into four main sections: AOS Discovery + modules A, B and C
AOS discovery consists of:
Comprehension - you are provided with a series of "unseen texts" (pictures, poems, extracts from articles etc) and are required to answer short-answer style questions (questions based on the individual texts, and one big question at the end that requires you to synthesise all of the ideas together)
Creative writing - you are given stimuli such as a picture or a quotation and you have to incorporate the idea or quote into your piece
Discovery essay - you are given an essay question, and have to centralise your entire essay around the question by making detailed reference to your prescribed text + 1 or 2 related texts that you prepare beforehand

As for the modules, I think they are all essay questions
Yep but they may call for it to be presented as a speech or a feature article.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)