Release of Semester2 2012 Results (1 Viewer)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
It's only 5 bonus points at UNSW. USYD has that access/flexible entry scheme, so if you're within 5 ATAR points and you did the necessary HSC courses achieving certain bands, then you are also offered a place.
AAA scholarship + band 5 in 3 subjects (Maths, Chem, bio) and you get into medsc at UNSW with an ATAR of 85 and 10 bonus points.

Yeah, but these results are exclusively for the advanced and SSP chemistry students, which require an ATAR of 95 and 99 respectively.
oh yeah, also that (although I've met two people in there that got ~93 but got ~89 in chemistry and got special permission to do advanced chem).

HSC
Uni Grad
not everyone gets AAA dude...

and chances are if you got AAA your atar is already ~95+

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
not everyone gets AAA dude...

and chances are if you got AAA your atar is already ~95+
not if you go to a shit school where the top ATAR is only like 85.

I'm just saying the cohorts at USyd and UNSW would be very similar in intelligence and shit. That wouldn't be the discrepancy.
Plus we have ~20 people doing combined med and most of them would do medsc, advsc, or sc/arts before med. So I think they would be just as capable (if not more) than the med rejects.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
It might be because of the horde of intelligent asian med rejects at UNSW med science and also the cut-off is pretty high as well.
Not all med rejects are Asian and they certainly aren't all intelligent.

HSC
not if you go to a shit school where the top ATAR is only like 85.

I'm just saying the cohorts at USyd and UNSW would be very similar in intelligence and shit. That wouldn't be the discrepancy.
Plus we have ~20 people doing combined med and most of them would do medsc, advsc, or sc/arts before med. So I think they would be just as capable (if not more) than the med rejects.
Of course those combined med students are just as capable, but perhaps their drive/motivation is not as forthcoming; they're basically guaranteed entry by merely maintaining a credit (although it's fair to say they would be aiming higher, but there's no real sense of competition). In Med Sci, you start out with at about 150 people trying for dear life to make it into the top 15 - when you have such a competitive environment with extremely competent students, obviously marks will be skewered, particularly in the first year.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Of course those combined med students are just as capable, but perhaps their drive/motivation is not as forthcoming; they're basically guaranteed entry by merely maintaining a credit (although it's fair to say they would be aiming higher, but there's no real sense of competition). In Med Sci, you start out with at about 150 people trying for dear life to make it into the top 15 - when you have such a competitive environment with extremely competent students, obviously marks will be skewered, particularly in the first year.
A lot of people in BSc(Adv) and BSc(Adv maffs) at USyd are similar and all compete for HDs and shit, plus some of the TSP and other kids are just naturally competitive. So it's definitely not the cohort, it's probably more to do with the lack of a midsem exam and stuff.

HSC
Uni Grad
Just consulted with the chinese tutors and lecturers, and they told me that they're going to be issuing me with a mark that's 6 points higher than my previous one. There was an error with counting (Y)

So I have a distinction in ARTS2451 now (Y)

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
Just consulted with the chinese tutors and lecturers, and they told me that they're going to be issuing me with a mark that's 6 points higher than my previous one. There was an error with counting (Y)

So I have a distinction in ARTS2451 now (Y)
omgosh, I wonder how often that happens...
I just fixed mine today as well

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
ECON3106 Politics, Government and Econ 82 DN
ECON3114 Super and Retirement Benefits 83 DN
FINS3640 Investment Mgmt Modeling 83 DN
FINS3655 Behavioural Finance 87 HD

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Did you all get your Results of Assessment email? Because I never got mine. Had to check myUNSW for my marks.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
In Med Sci, you start out with at about 150 people trying for dear life to make it into the top 15 - when you have such a competitive environment with extremely competent students, obviously marks will be skewered, particularly in the first year.
Back in the days, we didn't have the lateral entry to Medicine in MedSc, which made the atmsophere of the cohort more 'friendly'. There were still plenty of people in the course aiming for Med but I can't imagine being one of those going for that 'Top 15'. I'm glad I didn't have to go through what you guys are going through now! But best of luck if you are aiming to transfer.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Back in the days, we didn't have the lateral entry to Medicine in MedSc, which made the atmsophere of the cohort more 'friendly'. There were still plenty of people in the course aiming for Med but I can't imagine being one of those going for that 'Top 15'. I'm glad I didn't have to go through what you guys are going through now! But best of luck if you are aiming to transfer.
I agree.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
A wild inactive mod appears

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)