Religion & Relationships (merged) (1 Viewer)

Would you change your religion for a guy/girl?

• Yes

Votes: 24 11.2%
  • No

Votes: 190 88.8%

• Total voters

stfu noob

HSC
Girlfriend or other friends, it's the same principle. It doesn't matter what religion they are, I respect them for it so long as they respect my decision that I may not believe what they do. Im totally open to all religions and intrested to learn about them as long as people do not try and push their beliefs onto me.

bernz

Hungry. Feed me.
HSC
wwjd_frog14 said:
no i wouldnt change my religion for a guy...if im meant 2 get married etc then God will prepare me and my future husband 4 that part of my/his life...and yeh...we would live a christian based life....(if that makes sense?)...i wouldnt change my religion, and i will only enter in2 relationships with other christians (ive had relationships with non christians, but its so hard 2 share sumthing that my life is based on when the other person doesnt believe the same thing) :)
I wouldn't change either. But my current boyfriend is not Christian, but we do talk about God and all that stuff, I don't find it hard to share my beliefs with him and he's really understanding about it. He even has his own copy of the Bible now - as opposed to the German one his family used for propping up a heater... - and he wants to start reading it as soon as the HSC is over for him, because he's interested to find out about my beliefs and stuff -- and he doesn't mind it either, sometimes I'd read him excerpts and he'd go, "yeah, that's sensible, I agree with that". And yeah, he's really open minded and accepting and tolerant and that, so yeah... And this isn't a conversion relationship either. If he wants to convert, he can do it, but I'm not asking or hinting or anything. If anyone was to convert, they'd really have to believe. That's my opinion.

azzie

so delicious...
HSC
I don't need my boyfriend to be Christian or anything, but any guy I'm with would need to at least understand or (even better) know something about my faith. I wouldn't be able to live with someone who constantly batters my beliefs- paying me out for something I believe really deeply in without even understanding (or just wishing to slight) my faith.

I hate the idea of converting people. If anyone is interested in Christianity because of anything I have said or done, then thats a good thing, and if they persue it, even better. But im so not into conning anyone to do as i do or think as i think.

pretty much all the stuff benz said :p

Armani

Corporate Member
HSC
N/A
I have an agnostic/atheist friend who is in a relationship with a Christian. There are no qualms as long as you understand each other.

ariande

The Don
HSC
The very concept of 'changing your religion' for someone you love is ridiculous. To actually change religions, you have to believe in it. Being an Atheist, and a very strong one at that, I would not be able to genuinely say in a ceremony 'yes, I believe in God' . Therefore, any change in religion would be void. It would not actually be a change of religion, it would be a facade of pretence for your significant other.

I cannot see why they would want you to change religions, unless you came to the faith genuinely and wanted to change because you actually believed it. If I was with a Christian/Muslim/Jew/Hindu/Etc and I came, in time, to actually believe in their religion, then yes I would change. But I could not say 'oh yes honey, i'll become a [insert religion]' when there was no belief there. This concept baffles me. I don't understand how people could do that.

wikiwiki said:
I don't have any problem with someone elses religion, but people do with mine (i'm a moderate satanist).
LaVayan? Or do you just follow the philosophies?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
many people do actually change their religons
i know 2 couples
one guy who became mormon for his girlfriend
and one man who became muslim for his girlfriend
they converted to get married
however they dont actually believe in the religons..they just made a declaration of faith and played along for a while and now they are back to their old ways etc

if that was the case..i wouldnt marry a guy who becamse muslim for me..id marry a guy who became muslim then married me..muslim for the sake of the religon

Aimz- Lou.

For me- a guy needs to share my religious beliefs, because they are important to me, and an integral part of who I am. If he didn't share that, and we couldn't discuss it and grow together, I think the relationship would not be complete.

Kaiser Zero

Banned
HSC
I'd never go out with anyone religious.. although its probable they'd be turned off instantly by my overt anti-religiousness

Last edited:

ariande

The Don
HSC
Kaiser Zero said:
I'd never go out with anyone religion.. although its probable they'd be turned off instantly by the overt anti-religiousness
I don't know what I'd do... I would find it hard to relate to someone who was religious, because I am not.

Luckily for me, all of my boyfriends have been Atheists. :cool:

millymoo

HSC
nahh ive gotta say im v firm with the whole religion/relationshgip thing... i woiuld definetley want my boy/husband to be the same as me. its something sacred you share together as stated previously you can pass on without conflict. i agree that its not hugely relevant in some circumstances - but im a religious person and i couldnt bewith someone without those beliefs.!

same with ethic background... similar

peace out

rosepetal25

HSC
N/A
bobness said:
dis is kinda an old thread so ... jus reviving it a bit =)

yeh n er iono if dis has been sed b4 so bear wit me BUT ...

we shud also consider de aspect of whether de oda person wud accept u for ure new-found religion .. lyk i'm a pretti conservative christian i reckon so if a gal i knu changed her religion for me iono i REALLI wudn't kno wat i'd do (assumin dat i at least lyked her a bit). cuz lyk u can't realli jus bcum a gud christian overnight or nefin .. it takes months YEARS of learnin de bible, prayin to God n communion to realli understand de true meanin of being christian. haha but den at least she wud haf taken de first step n dats a great leap in faith neway rite?

hmm wat wud odas opinion of dis b ... i realise dat deres less n less conservative christians around dese days SO .. all views welcome (jus dun try to flame mai beliefs too much cuz its close to mai heart :))
errr what the hell did you just say? why do people feel the need to be creative with the english language...isnt it harder to spell like an idiot as opposed to spelling words how they are meant to be spelt?

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
Would you let a RELATIONSHIP get in the way of your religion?
Would you let your RELIGION get in the way of a relationship?

If you change the emphasis does it change much? Well yeh. But still. Youre still dealing with the same issue - a mindset that is saying you cannot sustain both a relationship and beliefs.

I don't buy into the religious mindsets. I am a Christian, but I go to an AOG church, which means I believe in God, I believe Jesus died for my sins, so that I could have a real relationship with God. Not just about rules and regulations, God plays an active role in my life and I'm happy with that. It doesn't mean I'm perfect, but it does mean I would never start a serious relationship with someone if I didn't feel right about it. If they felt uncomfortable about me being a Christian, I don't even see how a serious relationship would start.

So personally I can't see a relationship "getting in the way of" my Christianity. On the other hand my Christianity isn't "getting in the way of" any relationships. Because any relationship that involved a person who didn't support/accept my beliefs wouldn't be one I would want anyway.

Don't know if that makes sense. But yeh.

ugly14

G0Ldën MëMbër
HSC
Kulazzi said:
some religions have an issue when it comes to marriage/relationships. For example, my religion allows males to marry females of any religion however females must marry males of the same religion......does that make sense??? :p :)
Correction: guys can marry females who are either christian, muslim or jewish..(not any religion)..

jebbie

imrad. yourerad. letshug.
HSC
bobness said:
haha that makes perfect sense. it rewords my thoughts into more coherent sentences.

its getting a bit philosophical for an L&R thread though .. most stuff here is just sex sex sex which was kinda what i'd expect 'cause we're all teenagers running around with excessive hormones ..

aren't you kind of contradicting youreself? um if you don't want a relationship with somebody who doesn't accept/support your beliefs you are kind of allowing religion to get in the way aren't u :p?

anyway to continue this .. i've come to the conclusion that religion only serves to direct us to the right people we'd like to have a relationship with. i mean not going out with say an agnostic follower if you're a rastafarian (sorry i chose random religions to avoid sterotypes hehe) is not really letting your religion get in the way if ALL U WANTED to start with was a relationship with another rastafarian.

in real life this would be say a caucasian deciding to only meet others of the same background due to culture differences, parents' discretion etc

thought ppl? =)
I contradict myselfoften. Its a bad habit. I dont express myself as well in written word D: Dont know why. Its sucks -my Engrish teacher reckoned I would ace the HSC if I could just speak my answers. Pity I didnt apply/have a need to apply for special provisions.

Anyways the point of the matter is I havent always been a Christian. And even back then if someone wasnt willing to support my values and so on I wouldnt even consider going out with them. It hasnt changed, its just that my religion(although I know cliche its more a lifestyle and a relationship with God then a religion - purely because of connotations) affects my values. So indirectly my religion does affect my relationships. But the point I was making before was, I wouldnt be having those relationships anyway, like its not a problem. As in there can be a policy in a store for all bags to be checked by people wearing red, but if there was a rule by the store that no customers wearing red were allowed in then its not a problem.

That probably made it less clear then more clear. I simply mean, my beliefs would indirectly affect it if I ever let a relationship like that start. But because of my beliefs I wouldnt let one start, thus my beliefs don't become in the way of the relationship as it never existed.

Anyway its too late for me to be discussing things like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)