Religious affiliation (2 Viewers)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
HotShot said:
and also things are supposed to change over time, its natural its evolving, even the westerners had laws like beheading and so on, but they slowly changed over time to the extent that they do not exist anymore (perhaps in a few countries). so thats no excuse, who determined the sharia law?
yes... evolution......
the fact that the 'westeners' changed their laws... could also be the reason behind an increase in corruption and an increase in acts which were once considered shameful but are no longer looked down upon as such.... the evolution of such laws could also be the reason behind an increase in crime/murder... etc.etc.etc...

I remeber learning in yr 10 history.... mixing in Australian beaches (between males and females) wasn't allowed...

females had to cover from neck to knees(if they were to go for a swim...)....

and if u were to ask alot of old people .. u'd find they'ed agree that dress today is simply rude/disrespectful .. sometimes i wonder just how wonderful this "natural evolution of laws" truly is...

stoning till death.. may seem cruel... however... I'd rather be punished in this world than the next...

if u look back into histroy u'd find that people felt the safest, happiest... and most at ease under Islamic law... ( Islamic shariah)...

there are many many interesting aspects about shariah law...

they extend to war time and peace time...

when the prophet (peace be upon him).. was victorious after a battle... he and his army were able to capture a few prsioners of war...

what do u think happened to these prisoners???

they were tortured,mistreated,left to starve.....

WRONG....

when the companions of the prophet Mohammad (peace be upon him) tied the prisoners hands with rope so they wouldn't escape.. he ordered his companions to untie the prisoners... and then..

then he imposed the "punishment" on them...

would u like to guess what this punishent was???

at the time the prisoners were well educated and fluent in the arabic language...

so he made each prisoner teach 10 children how to read.. and hence they were freed.... talk about the just treatment of priosners of war

thus is the kind of justice Islam offers to even it's enemies...

Most muslims go back to the ahadith 'sayings of the prophet' and recordings of his actions... and i might add that the prophet Muhammad (peace be upin him) was a prophet,teacher,ruler and was aslo a judge... and in most cases u'd find rulings for issues suurounding us in our everyday lives in the ahadith themselves...

Adultery is listed i think either 2nd or 3rd in the list of major sins.. the first being shirk "associating anyone with God (Allah)"... therefore the punishemt is extremely harsh... (i.e stoning till death)...

mr EaZy

punchbowl bro- its the best place to live !
HSC
Disease said:
There was that Christian pastor in Victoria or somewhere a few months ago who was charged because he was stating his beliefs that other religions were wrong in public. Now I honestly think that is disgraceful. It's what the world is coming to though.

Anyway, by your restricting people of other religions to not be able to say what they believe you are also restricting your own rights. The role of Christians on earth is to "Go forth and make disciples of all nations", and if you haven't got freedom of speech to do so it won't be very easy. Realise this and move on.

yeah ur referring to the "catch the fire ministries case" for any law students out there.

hey princess, that person u were referring to was just saying that : just as all the prophets came to their people to do good, and worship the lord, so did the prophet of ISLAM. ISLAM is not new to this world, its a continuation of an age old message. And if we can respect each other on that basis (im not saying u or anyone else wasnt) then we might actually go somewhere. This is the message that people like George Pell and others (people of all religions) are bringing about.

turning back to the fire ministries case:
i went to a muslim event a week or 2 ago where this former Christian priest/preacher (converted to islam: LOL u MUST SEE THE PIC ON THIS SITE:
http://www.islamtomorrow.com/yusuf/priests_n_preachers.htm#story)

anyways on with the point, attending this guy's seminar made me feel good about christians for some reason, coz the guy was bringing christianity into a whole new perspective and stuff- and i can only get this stuff from a guy who has experienced christianity in all its glory. this is in stark contrast to the pastors involved with the "catch the fire ministries case" which is in a sense ; totally unproductive and defeats the purpose of inter faith dialogue. so this event i went to confronted me with christianity so that we muslims might understand ourselves better. THis is what Islam calls for. so y dont we use this site to not just tolerate, but understand one another and then understand ourselves. :cool:

Last edited:

get_born

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to physician again.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
hmm...

i suppose that most middle eastern islamic coutries run under sharia law, if so corruption in those countries is probably the worst in the world, also many many people do not wish to travel to those countries or, at least live under the sharia law. regardless of history, because of course time changes.

westerners change their laws - not to increase corruption but rather to reduce it, and that is why laws are changed.

i meant that sadam who was captured by americans have treated him better than compared to women who comitted adultery under sharia law.

i too did yr 10 civics and realise the 'style of those days', but fashion always procedes just like technoloagy and tat is just pure opinion after all they are accustomed to it and at that age they can do little to change.

physician

HSC
HotShot said:
westerners change their laws - not to increase corruption but rather to reduce it, and that is why laws are changed.
It's not a matter of what they want or what their intentions are... it's merely a fact that corruption has increased as these laws have become way too lenient over the years...

I don't see how reducing the punishment for a certain crime could possibly reduce corruption... wouldn't it encourage people instead???... or if not encourage it would discourage a less amount of ppl....

YES!!! westeners may change their laws to reduce corruption... but i can't see that happening..
and i'm sure they can't see it either... doesn't that say something...?

Gummy_bear

HSC
im not sure if people are still posting here, but..
do you see how you are all getting so worked up over other peoples beliefs? this is why wars are started, because people cant accept others opinions, and they believe that they are right and everone must follow them, in other words, extremists.
why do you get so angrey that someone does not believe in what you do? is it because you think that you are right, or maybe you are worried that if they dont think what you do, god will spite them? whatever the case may be, getting mad will not change their opinions.
i do believe in god, but i dont try to push that belief on others. i know that in the bible it says that gays shall be condemed by god, but, if societies veiw has changed since then, perhaps gods has too? maybe our veiws changed because gods did. no one really knows what is true in religion, only god.
perhaps instead of condeming others for their opinions, we should practice the one most important 'rule' that god has ever said, love one another. no matter who we are, or what we do, everyone will always have a different opinion, we shouldnt fight over this opinion, but embrace it.
we should stop fighting, and realise, that no matter what religion we follow, if any, every single human being has one fundemental value, to love. perhaps you all should be doing that instead of fighting...
maybe if everyone did that, there really wouldnt be any wars..

tempco

HSC
Gummy_bear said:
do you see how you are all getting so worked up over other peoples beliefs? this is why wars are started, because people cant accept others opinions, and they believe that they are right and everone must follow them, in other words, extremists.
the majority of wars have occurred because of the desire for wealth and power. not a clash of beliefs.

Gummy_bear said:
why do you get so angrey that someone does not believe in what you do? is it because you think that you are right, or maybe you are worried that if they dont think what you do, god will spite them? whatever the case may be, getting mad will not change their opinions.
read the posts. no one is getting angry. facts/opinions are being stated. if you want anger, go here: http://www.boredofstudies.org/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3 and post something like "look i bought new shoes!"

Gummy_bear said:
i do believe in god, but i dont try to push that belief on others. i know that in the bible it says that gays shall be condemed by god, but, if societies veiw has changed since then, perhaps gods has too? maybe our veiws changed because gods did. no one really knows what is true in religion, only god.
perhaps instead of condeming others for their opinions, we should practice the one most important 'rule' that god has ever said, love one another. no matter who we are, or what we do, everyone will always have a different opinion, we shouldnt fight over this opinion, but embrace it.
we should stop fighting, and realise, that no matter what religion we follow, if any, every single human being has one fundemental value, to love. perhaps you all should be doing that instead of fighting...
love and acceptance isn't what i would call a fundamental value. more like to reproduce, to seek wealth, to kill competition... along those lines. the purpose of religion is to down play the desires that each and everyone of us have, in order to live a life which is civilised and fulfilling. and yes, this is theory, and does not apply to most cases... we're human, so deal with it.

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
HotShot said:
i suppose that most middle eastern islamic coutries run under sharia law, if so corruption in those countries is probably the worst in the world, also many many people do not wish to travel to those countries or, at least live under the sharia law. regardless of history, because of course time changes.

i meant that sadam who was captured by americans have treated him better than compared to women who comitted adultery under sharia law.

i too did yr 10 civics and realise the 'style of those days', but fashion always procedes just like technoloagy and tat is just pure opinion after all they are accustomed to it and at that age they can do little to change.
most middle eastern countries?
you mean most muslim countries run under sharia law..mind you only 18% of the global islamic population are middle eastern

there is not as much corruption overseas as you think
and how can you speak on behalf of many people?
just because americans decide to capture sadam and treat him nicely...thats their stupidity
kill him is what i say..punish him properly
in reguards to old style procedures being like technology and having to change them etc..
i believe in order to advance in life we need to take a step back and stick to our traditions and customs and laws etc
because you cannot tamper with religon..you cannot change it and you cannot compramise your religon and modernise it
islam is perfect in all aspects as far as im concerned..and until i have proof that the sharia system is not working or fair and just
then i will continue to stand by it

get_born

Gummy_bear said:

its a debate in here not a war.

get_born

I dont know if anyone has watched it... but i was flicking through the channels when i went passed channel 9, on it Kerri-Anne was talking to three scarfed ladies about the hijab and what it means - and they all shared their perspective - what did everyone else think if they watched it?

Oh yeah...one of the ladies was Nouredine's mother, Aisha <---dont know if i spelt names correctly. But i was surprised and kinda excited when i saw them on tv...good on'em.

Last edited by a moderator:

physician

HSC
last_chance said:
I dont know if anyone has watched it... but i was flicking through the channels when i went passed channel 9, on it Kerri-Anne was talking to three scarfed ladies about the hijab and what it means - and they all shared their perspective - what did everyone else think if they watched it?
Unfortunately not... I haven’t been watching TV lately lol... although I wish I had seen it...

I like it when programs come on telly which clear alot of misconceptions....

I was listening to one of the lectures/conferences that Mr eazy provided on the site he posted.... and I was quite interested with the way the Muslim revert responded to a lady asking how she should respond to a certain situation whilst having a conversation with her friend about the bible... his response was more of a don't argue, attack but rather understand and respect... the fact that he has now experineced both religions makes his knolwedge and comparative study so intellectual and learned

I think comparative study of religions is the best... That way all misconceptions are cleared and hence people will develop very constructive discussions without the common misconceptions which lead a lot of people and their discussion to verbal maybe even physical wars...

what kind of questions were asked during the discussion?

physician

HSC
last_chance said:
Oh yeah...one of the ladies was Nouredine's mother, Aisha <---dont know if i spelt names correctly. But i was surprised and kinda excited when i saw them on tv...good on'em.
Oh interesting.. i think she's the author of a few Islamic books...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)