Religious affiliation (1 Viewer)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

jordankuai22

HSC
ogmzergrush said:
mother fucker, I've just lost this twice here trying to get it all down without timing out.

Anyway, here we go again, cos this shit is important. It started out as a post to congratulate you on your timely contributions, but I felt the need to press on. While the initial iteration was eloquent beyond belief, it has suffered some in the multiple retyping, and as such you'll have to make do with the following points for consideration.

* I have NFI what your chart is showing - religious breakdown of mcdonalds payroll, the world, multiple sex offenders? All seem plausible. This is probably quite a different set of data to what you'd find in Lexicographer's university, which is what he was speaking about. Seeing as he beat you to the punch on setting the topic there, if you'd like to disprove his statement about an atheist majority at his university, you'd probably need to discuss it based on that, rather than the good old "hey anyway, look what I found, some random shit!" approach. I think you either deliberately chose to miss this, or misunderstood the post and then went on to argue with an assertion which was not actually made.

* I'd like to think that you'll find more atheists in a university than you would in the wider community, as universities are apparently about knowledge, which is the opposite to religion. This is important to turn over in your head, as it's a very subtle reason as to why some random pie chart from the net probably doesn't correspond to the point which Lexicographer was making.

* Atheists are hard to count - subjective classification, potentially apathetic towards religion-themed research, pressures against declaring atheism in some cases.

* Is there any particular reason why, in the context of what he was saying, Lexicographer wouldn't have also been referring to the "no religion" group from your chart? While (in the case of your data, not his) this still wouldn't have represented an atheist majority, it also stops looking like the ridiculous overstatement you've chosen to interpret it as.

* In future, please jump on posts by people who are likely to reply - it'll save me the time and effort of doing it on their behalf (I try hard to resist the urge, but sometimes I can't help it).

* Provide references when supporting your discussion with someone else's data. It allows people to be much more specific when explaining to you why you are wrong.
beets beats battlestargalactica

bawd

HSC
I'm apt to classify myself as an agnostic. But I believe in reincarnation and the circle of life thing. I don't pertain to any single religion, however.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Someone showed me the website for Bob Jones University the other day

I couldn't believe it was a real place at first, but much lol @ it. They're not allowed to do anything normal (like for serious, there's a weirdo dress code and you can't even have a part time job without a fucking chaperone). Fundamentalist wackjobs.
http://www.bju.edu/prospective/expect/general.html

and maybe worse:

http://www.bju.edu/prospective/expect/dress.html

oh dear it's true.

burnt.ice

HSC
Well, I'm athiest, simply for the fact that evolution to me seems the better argument/reason, as well as the point that I can't get over the fact most religions were made up by people, and not some giant book falling out of the sky miraculously and hitting someone on the head.

And as for whether or not I get into arguments over religion...well, if you start talking to me about it I'll certainly reply, but I don't start these things. Doorknockers telling me to "accept the love of Jesus Christ into you heart today" are fair game too ^^ (within the limits of courtesy, of course =])

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
I'm an atheist. My non-belief in God(s) is not all because of science (though it plays a large factor) but mainly because I don't really feel like worshipping something like the Biblical God and other such Gods which are portrayed as extremely discriminatory in religious texts.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Optophobia said:
"No religion" and "Atheists" have different categories?
Maybe they're talking about the difference between really hard line atheism (which takes commitment IMO) and just not really being committed to any belief/not giving a shit. If that makes sense.

Or they're talking about the bullshit idea that atheism is actually a religion. I don't know.

Ethanescence

HSC
N/A
The 4% of atheists is probably referring to people who self-define themselves as atheists, compared to 15% people who don't practice religion or might not actually know what atheism is/haven't considered religion at all and just selected "no religion".

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
Optophobia said:
"No religion" and "Atheists" have different categories?
no religion can also be seen as agnostics ---> these people dont identify themselves with a religion. they believe that it is not possible to know whether god exists or not. in other words they are mindless dim-wits who cannot make up their mind.

atheists ---> believe no god exists. therefore they shall rott in purgatory.

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
no religion can also be seen as agnostics ---> these people dont identify themselves with a religion. they believe that it is not possible to know whether god exists or not. in other words they are mindless dim-wits who cannot make up their mind.

are you catholic?

Pain

I am Jack's wasted life.
HSC
melanieeeee. said:

Purgatory? Don't you just stay there until your *ahem* sins are forgiven? Or "purified"...So technically, everyone has to go there one time or another?

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
in addition to what i have previously said. agnostics can be seen as people who like to sit on the fence. ohhhhhh we dont know enough [insert issue here]. lets just say we are neutral.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
are you catholic?
yes.

lololskates said:
Purgatory? Don't you just stay there until your *ahem* sins are forgiven? Or "purified"...So technically, everyone has to go there one time or another?
yes. but they will rott there longer.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
in addition to what i have previously said. agnostics can be seen as people who like to sit on the fence. ohhhhhh we dont know enough [insert issue here]. lets just say we are neutral.

yes.

yes. but they will rott there longer.
According to some Christians, you (Catholics) are going to hell too. How do you know who's right?

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
According to some Christians, you (Catholics) are going to hell too. How do you know who's right?
catholics are right because we are the church. anglicans and protestants really branched off us.

Leaving aside the historical meanings indicated under (b) and (c) above, the Oxford English Dictionary thus associates present-day Catholicism with:
<DL><DD>any church (as the Anglican) claiming continuity with the church before separation into Greek or Eastern and Latin or Western". Churches that make this claim of continuity include not only those of the Anglican Communion, but, among others, the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, Oriental Orthodoxy, and the Assyrian Church of the East. The claim of continuity may be based on Apostolic Succession, especially in conjunction with adherence to the Nicene Creed. Some interpret Catholicism as adherence to the traditional beliefs that Protestant Reformers denied (see, for example, the Oxford Movement).</DD></DL>Catholics maintain that the "one, holy, catholic and apostolic church" founded by Jesus subsists fully in the Roman Catholic Church, but also acknowledges other Christian churches and communities<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-LumenGentium_161-0>[162]</SUP><SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-162>[163]</SUP> and works towards reconciliation among all Christians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity

X

xeuyrawp

melanieeeee. said:
catholics are right because we are the church. anglicans and protestants really branched off us.
hahahha, yeah because Catholic dogma is so close to what Jesus wanted.

Big churches, elaborate clothes, rituals and language that alienate people, wealth. Immense wealth.

zeam

HSC
N/A
alot of f#ucking atheist and lot of f#ucking moslem

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
PwarYuex said:
hahahha, yeah because Catholic dogma is so close to what Jesus wanted.

Big churches
big churches exist because people see the truth. also god likes big churches because that means he gets more praise.

elaborate clothes
god wants us to wear clothes because adam and eve sinned and were kicked out of the garden of eden and made ashamed of their nakedness.

rituals and language that alienate people,
we are a universal church you know.

wealth. Immense wealth.
that just proves that god exists. churches dont pay taxes. god is on our side.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
big churches exist because people see the truth. also god likes big churches because that means he gets more praise.

god wants us to wear clothes because adam and eve sinned and were kicked out of the garden of eden and made ashamed of their nakedness.

we are a universal church you know.

that just proves that god exists. churches dont pay taxes. god is on our side.
please be a troll

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)