Religious affiliation (1 Viewer)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
catholics are right because we are the church. anglicans and protestants really branched off us.

Leaving aside the historical meanings indicated under (b) and (c) above, the Oxford English Dictionary thus associates present-day Catholicism with:
<DL><DD>any church (as the Anglican) claiming continuity with the church before separation into Greek or Eastern and Latin or Western". Churches that make this claim of continuity include not only those of the Anglican Communion, but, among others, the Roman Catholic Church, the Eastern Orthodox Church, Oriental Orthodoxy, and the Assyrian Church of the East. The claim of continuity may be based on Apostolic Succession, especially in conjunction with adherence to the Nicene Creed. Some interpret Catholicism as adherence to the traditional beliefs that Protestant Reformers denied (see, for example, the Oxford Movement).</DD></DL>Catholics maintain that the "one, holy, catholic and apostolic church" founded by Jesus subsists fully in the Roman Catholic Church, but also acknowledges other Christian churches and communities<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-LumenGentium_161-0>[162]</SUP><SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-162>[163]</SUP> and works towards reconciliation among all Christians.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity
True (?) Christianity sees the only way to God as being through Jesus, not through a person's deeds and most certainly not through the Pope. No extra stuff needed except your repentant faith etc. Just the Bible. If it's not in the Bible, don't worry about it. If it's not faith, it's not necessary for salvation. And so on.

So again I'll ask you why you think Catholicism is the only true faith. How do you know that what the Catholic faith teaches is better than the kind of Christianity I just described? Just curious.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
True (?) Christianity sees the only way to God as being through Jesus, not through a person's deeds and most certainly not through the Pope.
who says that that is true though. catholics make up the majority of christianity so it is unfair to say that "Christianity sees the only way to God as being through Jesus, not through a person's deeds and most certainly not through the Pope."

No extra stuff needed except your repentant faith etc. Just the Bible. If it's not in the Bible, don't worry about it. If it's not faith, it's not necessary for salvation. And so on.
its not like we worship the pope. we worship the god. the pope is just our leader on earth. he's supposed to lead us to christ.

So again I'll ask you why you think Catholicism is the only true faith. How do you know that what the Catholic faith teaches is better than the kind of Christianity I just described? Just curious.
you are asking the same question so i would have just probably have given you the same answer.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
who says that that is true though. catholics make up the majority of christianity so it is unfair to say that "Christianity sees the only way to God as being through Jesus, not through a person's deeds and most certainly not through the Pope."

its not like we worship the pope. we worship the god. the pope is just our leader on earth. he's supposed to lead us to christ.

you are asking the same question so i would have just probably have given you the same answer.
Yes but why does the Pope have to lead you to Christ? Also it doesn't say anywhere in the Bible that works are required for salvation but Catholics believe they are...if it's not in the Bible how can it be necessary?

BTW I'm not personally religious so it doesn't bother me particularly what you believe but I just don't see why Catholics think they're the shit and anyone who isn't in the Church is hell bound.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Yes but why does the Pope have to lead you to Christ? Also it doesn't say anywhere in the Bible that works are required for salvation but Catholics believe they are...if it's not in the Bible how can it be necessary?
<TABLE class=cquote style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none"><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px; PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top>Matt.16:18-19: "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
Isaiah 22:20-22: "On that day I will summon my servant Eliakim, son of Hilkiah; I will clothe him with your robe, and gird him with your sash, and give over to him your authority. He shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah. I will place the key of the House of David on his shoulder; when he opens, no one shall shut, when he shuts, no one shall open." (shows a parallel to Matthew 16:18-20)
John 21:15-17: "..Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." He then said to him a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep." He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." (Jesus) said to him, "Feed my sheep."
Luke 12:41: "Then Peter said, "Lord, is this parable meant for us or for everyone?" And the Lord replied, "Who, then, is the faithful and prudent steward whom the master will put in charge of his servants to distribute (the) food allowance at the proper time?" (Feeding theme appears again here)
Luke 22:31-32: "Simon, Simon, behold Satan has demanded to sift all of you like wheat, but I have prayed that your own faith may not fail; and once you have turned back, you must strengthen your brothers."

</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 36px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; COLOR: rgb(178,183,242); PADDING-TOP: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman',serif; TEXT-ALIGN: right" vAlign=bottom width=20></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
catholics believe that this passage shows jesus establishing his church on the shoulders of simon son of john, whom jesus re-named peter (meaning rock). thus peter was the rock upon which christ's church was built, therefore jesus established a head to his earthly church, calling for a successor to that head and thus the papacy was established.

BTW I'm not personally religious so it doesn't bother me particularly what you believe but I just don't see why Catholics think they're the shit and anyone who isn't in the Church is hell bound.
*purgatory.
Catholics acknowledges other Christian churches and communities<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-LumenGentium_161-0>[162]</SUP><SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-162>[163]</SUP> and works towards reconciliation among all Christians.

and also we dont think we are the shit. we are just proud of our faith.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
<TABLE class=cquote style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-BOTTOM-STYLE: none"><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 4px; PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top>Matt.16:18-19: "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of the netherworld will not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."
Isaiah 22:20-22: "On that day I will summon my servant Eliakim, son of Hilkiah; I will clothe him with your robe, and gird him with your sash, and give over to him your authority. He shall be a father to the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and to the house of Judah. I will place the key of the House of David on his shoulder; when he opens, no one shall shut, when he shuts, no one shall open." (shows a parallel to Matthew 16:18-20)
John 21:15-17: "..Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." He then said to him a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord, you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep." He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was distressed that he had said to him a third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." (Jesus) said to him, "Feed my sheep."
Luke 12:41: "Then Peter said, "Lord, is this parable meant for us or for everyone?" And the Lord replied, "Who, then, is the faithful and prudent steward whom the master will put in charge of his servants to distribute (the) food allowance at the proper time?" (Feeding theme appears again here)
Luke 22:31-32: "Simon, Simon, behold Satan has demanded to sift all of you like wheat, but I have prayed that your own faith may not fail; and once you have turned back, you must strengthen your brothers."

</TD><TD style="PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 36px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; COLOR: rgb(178,183,242); PADDING-TOP: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman',serif; TEXT-ALIGN: right" vAlign=bottom width=20></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
catholics believe that this passage shows jesus establishing his church on the shoulders of simon son of john, whom jesus re-named peter (meaning rock). thus peter was the rock upon which christ's church was built, therefore jesus established a head to his earthly church, calling for a successor to that head and thus the papacy was established.

*purgatory.
Catholics acknowledges other Christian churches and communities<SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-LumenGentium_161-0>[162]</SUP><SUP class=reference id=cite_ref-162>[163]</SUP> and works towards reconciliation among all Christians.

and also we dont think we are the shit. we are just proud of our faith.
There are people who would say that you're misinterpreting the Bible. I've read interpretations which say that the "rock" is referring to the truth of Peter's statement that Jesus is Lord and that this is what the church was to be based on. Also that the Greek words for "Peter" and for "rock" are actually different, though similar. I'm not sure of the exact translation so you'd have to look at that yourself. As for the keys to the kingdom thing, didn't he do it twice, once for the jews and once for the other people (idk gentiles or whatever, its in Acts somewhere I think) so you can't really say that it's referring only to the Catholic church.

Whatever, you're probably a troll but just in case you're not I thought I'd ask why you think you need all this extra stuff like the Pope and confirmations and communion and confession and bla bla bla when all the Bible asks of you is that you believe that you are a sinner and that Jesus is your saviour, not that you believe this and also do other things. Didn't Jesus say noone gets to God except through him? Isn't the Pope putting another layer in the salvation-cake so to speak...?

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
Whatever, you're probably a troll but just in case you're not I thought I'd ask why you think you need all this extra stuff like the Pope and confirmations and communion and confession and bla bla bla when all the Bible asks of you is that you believe that you are a sinner and that Jesus is your saviour, not that you believe this and also do other things. Didn't Jesus say noone gets to God except through him? Isn't the Pope putting another layer in the salvation-cake so to speak...?
pope ---> to lead us to christ.
communion ---> to recieve christ.
confession ---> to have our sins forgiven.

i dont know if jesus said noone gets to god except through him [is it in the bible// if so care to quote] but if this is the case why do we even use the bible.

EDIT: as a tool for our faith.

HalcyonSky

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
i dont know if jesus said noone gets to god except through him [is it in the bible// if so care to quote] but if this is the case why do we even use the bible.
bible is part of the holy quintruply, god = jesus = holy spirit = bible = pope

4unitfreak

HSC
I'm an atheist. I realised it when I was six. I'm accepting of other people's beliefs unless they shove them down my throat and try to make me convert.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
HalcyonSky said:
bible is part of the holy quintruply, god = jesus = holy spirit = bible = pope
for someone who accuses me of trolling, you do your fair share.

HalcyonSky

HSC
melanieeeee. said:
for someone who accuses me of trolling, you do your fair share.
im not a troll i just bring the facts, straight from the no-spin zone.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
HalcyonSky said:
im not a troll i just bring the facts, straight from the no-spin zone.
yes then you must also know its fact that you are a communist deep down inside. most communists are atheists. true fact.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
pope ---> to lead us to christ.
communion ---> to recieve christ.
confession ---> to have our sins forgiven.

EDIT: as a tool for our faith.
John 14:6 "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Depends on the version you read but the idea is exactly the same no matter what.

Hence why I was saying you don't need the Pope to lead you to Christ, all you're supposed to do is confess your sins (to God, not to a priest) and accept Jesus as your saviour. The Pope needn't ever come into it.

With confession...how is a mere person supposed to be able to forgive your sins? Only God can do that. And the priest doesn't have the authority to be like lol okay you're forgiven, you have to ask forgiveness of God. Or at least that's my understanding from reading the Bible although I haven't read all of it so if there's something in there that says a priest can forgive your sins for you please let me know.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
John 14:6 "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." Depends on the version you read but the idea is exactly the same no matter what.

Hence why I was saying you don't need the Pope to lead you to Christ, all you're supposed to do is confess your sins (to God, not to a priest) and accept Jesus as your saviour. The Pope needn't ever come into it.
the pope doesn't bring us to god. he guides us to him just as the bible also guides us to him. and also of course being catholic we believe that our interpretation of the bible is right.

With confession...how is a mere person supposed to be able to forgive your sins? Only God can do that. And the priest doesn't have the authority to be like lol okay you're forgiven, you have to ask forgiveness of God. Or at least that's my understanding from reading the Bible although I haven't read all of it so if there's something in there that says a priest can forgive your sins for you please let me know.
the priest doesnt forgive the sins god does. it is sort of a formal way of doing it. its easier for god to listen to our sins if he "hears" it (or so we believe).

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
melanieeeee. said:
the pope doesn't bring us to god. he guides us to him just as the bible also guides us to him. and also of course being catholic we believe that our interpretation of the bible is right.

the priest doesnt forgive the sins god does. it is sort of a formal way of doing it. its easier for god to listen to our sins if he "hears" it (or so we believe).
yeah okay, but shouldn't the Bible be enough? Why get the Pope into it as well? If the Bible can lead you to God then you don't need anything else, would be my reasoning. Plus the Pope is just this dude. In a hat. Who reallyreallyreallyreally believes in God...but that doesn't give him like magic powers to bring you TO God, he's still just a dude in a hat.

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
yeah okay, but shouldn't the Bible be enough? Why get the Pope into it as well?
i already answered that. i.e. our interpretation of the bible.

If the Bible can lead you to God then you don't need anything else, would be my reasoning.
ummm. i also think i answered the purpose of the pope, confessions etc.

Plus the Pope is just this dude. In a hat. Who reallyreallyreallyreally believes in God...but that doesn't give him like magic powers to bring you TO God, he's still just a dude in a hat.
we are not suggesting that he has magic powers to bring us to god. we believe he can guide us.

staticsiscool

Banned
HSC
i dont much care for this "theory of evolution" or "theory of universal gravitation" or "theory of (insert any common scientifically proven and acknowledged theory)", but i do like the sounds of this "flat earth theory" and "geocentric universe theory" and "Luminiferous ether theory". hmm must be a catholic then.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
4unitfreak said:
I'm an atheist. I realised it when I was six. I'm accepting of other people's beliefs unless they shove them down my throat and try to make me convert.
Hey me too! (well, i was like... 8) Was it as scary for you? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)