Religious affiliation (1 Viewer)

Which faith/religious tradition do you currently practice?

• Christianity

Votes: 536 38.1%
  • Judaism

Votes: 34 2.4%
  • Islam

Votes: 168 11.9%
  • Buddhism

Votes: 56 4.0%
  • Hinduism

Votes: 31 2.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 93 6.6%
  • None - I'm not religious.

Votes: 488 34.7%

• Total voters

get_born

Basically, what the scarf is and the right islamic perspective about the hijab. One of them said that she used to walk around without the scarf but after having researched her religion properly and reading the quran her misconceptions were cleared up and ended up putting it on. Also, how one of them was really keen on the values of feminism and women's right, but after resaerching, she found that Islam was equal. Oh yeah and one of them brought up a point that when wearing the scarf or not wearing it men still look, but the point of wearing the scarf is the different ways men look at you, and that in the end wearing it or not wearing it doesn't determine if your better or not- it doesnt differentiate between good women and bad women, rather it is a choice - but thats only what i picked up because i only came in the middle of the interview.

reemz

HSC
omg 1st time i they didnt make muslims look like terrorists lol at least people will undestand the concept of the hijjab

get_born

reemz said:
omg 1st time i they didnt make muslims look like terrorists lol at least people will undestand the concept of the hijjab
yeah. But me personally i dont think muslims are portrayed as terrorists only all that 'Al Qaeda' stereotypes on television has been mistaken to be what being a muslim is all about. But ive seen after people educate thenselves, even muslims themselves learning about their religion and others have a clearer perception about life in general. Its the biggest mistake for people to comment on a topic they themselves are not familiar with in detail. It is only today people have realised the mistake, and are now encouraging everyone to become familiar with seeking knowledge.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
terrorist attack- honestly the first that comes up in my head is 'Al Qaeda', and the attacks on london were atrocious. well i think they pushed it far enough, the 'allies' will probably invade the entire middle-east (just like Iraq) and kill a few more innocent ppl just get rid of terrorists. i dont blame them-- the terrorists made a bad move and this move will most probably start sometin new, esp with G8 leaders nearby, bad move very bad.

get_born

HotShot said:
terrorist attack- honestly the first that comes up in my head is 'Al Qaeda', and the attacks on london were atrocious. well i think they pushed it far enough, the 'allies' will probably invade the entire middle-east (just like Iraq) and kill a few more innocent ppl just get rid of terrorists. i dont blame them-- the terrorists made a bad move and this move will most probably start sometin new, esp with G8 leaders nearby, bad move very bad.
yeah... i hate the idea of innocents being killed in all these suicide bombimgs...whether its here or over seas its inhumane. The attacks in London were a total shock. Its ironic how just the other day i was talking about the good things being portrayed in the media - and now this. I just hope people dont start confusing terrorists, suicide bombers and so on as Muslims - because a muslim doesn't do things like that.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
no i dont think they will, after 9/11, bali bombing and various other indcidents i think ppl understand whose being doin this but ultimately innocent ppl get affected.

get_born

HotShot said:
no i dont think they will, after 9/11, bali bombing and various other indcidents i think ppl understand whose being doin this but ultimately innocent ppl get affected.
yeah, but theres a big difference between thinking and knowing. But people have a tendency to forgive and forget and then remember again - through the power of the media. But your right people do understand now, but even so there are a few out there that like to stir trouble.

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
i dont realli practise hinduism...but i am hindu and that is my religion...

JoeysBoy

HSC
I think religion is essentially arrogant on the human's part. I'm agnostic... because I don't believe you can prove anything in this world. Someone will always have a better answer or religion that will serve you better. Does that make it correct? Also I think religion creates a lot of evil in this world, even though the people behind it think they are doing good...

But lets not argue about this. There is no right answer... including mine. I don't accept even my own point of view if that makes sense :rolleyes:

I chose "other" btw...

KYKYJ

HSC
MY christianity!!

I beleive that there is a single god out there and he above all else died for our sins that we might "live life in its fullest". . .
there is a right answer cause when u look around its so damn hard not to beleive that there is a creativ and loving god who made everything we see around us, the fact that it took us (people) soooo long to figure out how biological stuff works kinda just suggests that someone much greater than us creatd it all. ..
AND thats why i'll try to live a righteouss life and jump around and fall to my knees in worship of my God who died for everyone of us. . that sacrifice paid for us. . we are no longer ours and we need to treat gods property betta than the way sum of do. . i'm not perfect and i kno i fall short of the mark everyday but by thgrace of god we can live life knowing that time and time again-God will always be there for us
Galatians 2:20 says that i am no longer myself but it is christ that lives in me

KYKYJ

HSC
soha said:
ok no offence
that picture scares me
i get nightmares jut imagining someone being crucified
yea its is scary thinkin abt it but thats why i have such an uncomprimising love for him cause he endured that pain just so we can be free. . .a man gave his life for us and he was a man just like me or your average guy walkin down the street. . .

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
KYKYJ said:
yea its is scary thinkin abt it but thats why i have such an uncomprimising love for him cause he endured that pain just so we can be free. . .a man gave his life for us and he was a man just like me or your average guy walkin down the street. . .
um he was just a man
you said it urself

shortie_89

HSC
N/A
hmm i know i'm slack and havent read this whole thread so someone couldve said it already but does anyone know anything about what baha'i is? my friend (lol who's a presbyterean ministers daughter) and i were trying to figure out what it was but couldn't really establish anything except that it is a combination of several faiths??
and no i'm not religious at all... well i spend a lot of time thinkin about this kind of stuff but never get anywhere

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
shortie_89 said:
hmm i know i'm slack and havent read this whole thread so someone couldve said it already but does anyone know anything about what baha'i is? my friend (lol who's a presbyterean ministers daughter) and i were trying to figure out what it was but couldn't really establish anything except that it is a combination of several faiths??
and no i'm not religious at all... well i spend a lot of time thinkin about this kind of stuff but never get anywhere
yeah its like combination of this and that
borderline islam and otehrstuff
mainly islam..like they call themselves muslim(well the ones i was friends with did)
but there was so many differences...

y=mx+b

HSC
I'm a Christian. I'm a Christian because it is truth, not religion. I have 100% faith in God, and i know exactly where i'm going when i die.

Question: "What is Christianity and what do Christians believe?"

Answer: 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 says, “Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures.”

In a nutshell, that is the belief of Christianity. Christianity is unique among all other faiths, because Christianity is more about a relationship, rather than religious practice. Instead of adhering to a list of “dos and don’ts,” the goal of a Christian is to cultivate a close walk with God the Father. That relationship is made possible because of the work of Jesus Christ, and the ministry in the life of the Christian by the Holy Spirit.

Christians believe that the Bible is the inspired, inerrant Word of God, and that its teaching is the final authority (2 Timothy 3:16, 2 Peter 1:20-21). Christians believe in one God that exists in three persons, the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit.

Christians believe that mankind was created specifically to have a relationship with God, but that sin separates all men from God (Romans 5:12, Romans 3:23). Christianity teaches that Jesus Christ walked this earth, fully God, and yet fully man (Philippians 2:6-11), and died on the cross. Christians believe that after His death on the cross, Christ was buried, He rose again, and now lives at the right hand of the Father, making intercession for the believers forever (Hebrews 7:25). Christianity proclaims that Jesus’ death on the cross was sufficient to completely pay the sin debt owed by all men and this is what restores the broken relationship between God and man (Hebrews 9:11-14, Hebrews 10:10, Romans 6:23, Romans 5:8).

In order to be saved, one must simply place his faith entirely in the finished work of Christ on the cross. If someone believes that Christ died in his own place and paid the price of his own sins, and rose again, then that person is saved. There is nothing that anyone can do to earn salvation. Nobody can be “good enough” to please God on his or her own, because all of us are sinners (Isaiah 64:6-7, Isaiah 53:6). Secondly, there is nothing more to be done, because Christ has done all the work! When He was on the cross, Jesus said, “It is finished” (John 19:30).

Just as there is nothing one can do to earn salvation, once someone has placed his/her trust in the work of Christ on the cross, there is nothing anyone can do to lose his/her salvation either. Remember, the work was done and completed by Christ! Nothing about salvation is dependent upon the one who receives it! John 10:27-29 states “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any [man] pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave [them] me, is greater than all; and no [man] is able to pluck [them] out of my Father's hand.”

Some may think, “This is great--once I am saved, I can do just as I please, and not lose my salvation!” But salvation is not about being free to do as one pleases. Salvation is becoming free from having to serve the old sin nature, and being free to pursue a right relationship with God. As long as believers live on this earth in their sinful bodies, there will be a constant struggle with giving in to sin. Living in sin hinders the relationship God seeks to have with mankind, and as long as one lives in sin as a believer, he will not enjoy the relationship God intended to have with him. However, Christians can have victory over the struggle with sin by studying and applying God’s Word (the Bible) in their lives, and being controlled by the Holy Spirit--that is, submitting to the Spirit’s influence and leading in everyday circumstances, and through the Spirit obeying God’s Word.

So, while many religious systems require that a person do certain things or not do certain things, Christianity is about having a relationship with God. Christianity is about believing that Christ died on the cross as payment for your own sin, and rose again. Your sin debt is paid and you can have fellowship with God. You can have victory over your sin nature and walk in fellowship and obedience with God. That is true biblical Christianity.

http://www.gotquestions.org/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)