Repeating year 12 (1 Viewer)

SmRandmAzn

Banned
HSC
There are different ways to get where you want. Repeating Year 12 is a waste of time, it's not as efficient in terms of increasing your prospects. May as well learn new stuff at lower levels of higher education, then moving up the chain to where you want to go, and do some work as well to better your CV

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
do not repeat.

as graney said, pathways or transfer are such easy easy ways of getting where you want to be.

repeating is a stupid waste of time.

my cousin repeated after not getting into MBBS.

she then didn't get in AGAIN

THEN she transferred into it after doing a year of a philosophy degree.

she regrets that waste of year that her repeat of year 12 ended up being, so very much.

aussie-boy

HSC
cant you add on extra hsc courses and get a new uai calculated? (up to 5 years between them or something)

if this was the case, you could start your degree and do maybe 4 HSC units with the open high school at the same time; then by the second year when it was time to transfer, you would have your new and improved UAI to give you a much better chance of getting into the other course

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
aussie-boy said:
cant you add on extra hsc courses and get a new uai calculated? (up to 5 years between them or something)

if this was the case, you could start your degree and do maybe 4 HSC units with the open high school at the same time; then by the second year when it was time to transfer, you would have your new and improved UAI to give you a much better chance of getting into the other course
Though, he wants to do new subjects (doesn't like Physics etc.), so he will need to do Preliminary as well.

Ultimately, it ends up being 2 years instead for his new subjects (unless you can do the Preliminary + HSC parts in one year)?

didier91

HSC
Mind-Revolution said:
Though, he wants to do new subjects (doesn't like Physics etc.), so he will need to do Preliminary as well.

Ultimately, it ends up being 2 years instead for his new subjects (unless you can do the Preliminary + HSC parts in one year)?

Not true... you don't need to do Preliminary.

Anyway mate If you DO repeat, do it through Open High School or through some sort of scheme like that. As for subjects, I think you might struggle doing any of Business, Legal or Economics. I do all 3 and all are HEAVILY reliant on their respective Preliminary Courses. That said... you could probably cover these relatively quick with the right resources..... such as intensive tutoring throughout your Summer break?

Give me a PM if you have any questions on your subjects :)

Best of luck. :wave:

icelillies

In the twisted branches of the faraway tree
HSC
I have a friend who did pathways (spliting yr 12 over two years) and she said that it was like being an alien in the school. She was never really part of the classe - maybe it would be the same if you repeated? You might catch a bit of slack - a guy that was in my year repeated (thus making him older than everyone else) and people tended to bitch about him due to his age and the inevitable question of "How stupid is he??!!!".
I really wouldn't repeat - you'll being under a lot less pressure doing the whole 'transfering' idea, as opposed to repeating yr 12, as an average of 80 is equated with a 90+ UAI in UNI (generally speaking)....What happens if you dont get 90+ by repeating??? Logically, transfering is your best option *shrug* But as they say " it is up to you" and your individual circumstances...:uhhuh:

Paj20

HSC
TheDream said:
Hi there.
I'm thinking about repeating year 12 if I don't get a UAI of at least 90.
Are there any penalties or disadvatanges(besides the fact that it is time-consuming)?

Also, what subjects are the most easy to pick up in year 12 that don't really require much knowledge from the first 2 units(yr 11)?
Why would you bother, just go to uni and change. Repeating would be so weird.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
TheDream said:
I rang up ANU today and one of the ladys there told me the cut-offs are going to be low 80's next year.
I really hate the (UAI + Uni grades)/2 thing.
Transferring sounds hard.
All my teachers tell me there is always the 'backdoor'.
If you're only going to need 80ish, why were you saying you'd repeat if you got under 90?

Transferring isn't hard. You just need to maintain a decent GPA in first year. Enroll in a B.science @ anywhere, smash your first year subjects, then transfer.

You could also do pathways, but I think just getting into uni, and getting exposed to those first year courses is more usefull. You can also knock off a few subjects towards your commerce degree, like stat is part of every science degree, and at most unis you could use your b.science electives towards commerce subjects.

When you finish a year of b.science, the subjects you've done aren't wasted either. If commerce allows you any electives, you can use the subjects you did under b.science

selablad

HSC
Just out of interest, what will you do if you get into the course, but you don't get 90?

GreenLeaf

consultant
HSC
N/A
Graney said:
If you're only going to need 80ish, why were you saying you'd repeat if you got under 90?

Transferring isn't hard. You just need to maintain a decent GPA in first year. Enroll in a B.science @ anywhere, smash your first year subjects, then transfer.

You could also do pathways, but I think just getting into uni, and getting exposed to those first year courses is more usefull. You can also knock off a few subjects towards your commerce degree, like stat is part of every science degree, and at most unis you could use your b.science electives towards commerce subjects.

When you finish a year of b.science, the subjects you've done aren't wasted either. If commerce allows you any electives, you can use the subjects you did under b.science
^ Agreed. Repeating year 12 is a complete waste of time and effort. You will end up being 1 year behind, and there is still no guarentee you will get your desired UAI. Learn from your mistakes and move forward, not backward!

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
I'm repeating year 11 and 12 again. Don't worry about what others think, i didn't and i enjoy myself and to me it meant that i was more confident in myself and felt more at "ease" per se, cause i'm following my dreams. Want any more advidce or anything pm me or add me to msn. Go to this thread and read it maybe it will be useful i don't know.

http://community.boredofstudies.org...-their-hsc-returned-back-school-do-again.html

hope this all helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)