• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

reputation - new feature (2 Viewers)

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
But then people would post stupid things in the subject forums and get their friends to rep them anyway. Don't think there is a scam-proof rep system which won't be difficult to implement.

MuSaRuRWa

maybe till a better system is come up with, only mods should have the rep facility, ie, mods can rep all members based on posts.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
We've already considered such a situation, and basically that would put too much of a burden on the mods, and it wouldn't be as effective.

Winston

HSC
flyin' said:
But then people would post stupid things in the subject forums and get their friends to rep them anyway. Don't think there is a scam-proof rep system which won't be difficult to implement.
But if the thread is deleted, then the reputation points given would not be counted

sunny

meh.
HSC
Winston said:
But if the thread is deleted, then the reputation points given would not be counted
Theres nothing stopping one person asking a legit question to make a post so that they can get repped over and over by their friends.

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
MuSaRuRWa said:
maybe till a better system is come up with, only mods should have the rep facility, ie, mods can rep all members based on posts.
thats a pretty good idea actually.. cuz then people would be aiming to help out more or stop spamming as much in subject forums..
but many subject forums dont have mods (or active ones) so it might not work out so well

Winston

HSC
sunny said:
Theres nothing stopping one person asking a legit question to make a post so that they can get repped over and over by their friends.
lol well there's always a way to cicrumvent the system... however in other forums, they deploy the reputation system, so that users can have access to download files etc... i don't think the system is really necessary on BOS anyways, with the very fact that people are abusing it, but i'd also argue it's useful in some cases, it will clearly show how much a users posts stands out and how valid the post is, some people just post replies, that are just incorrect, and hence delude some users.

MuSaRuRWa

cro_angel said:
thats a pretty good idea actually.. cuz then people would be aiming to help out more or stop spamming as much in subject forums..
but many subject forums dont have mods (or active ones) so it might not work out so well
well, then we GET the mods ... also, maybe ifthey restirct there to be a mod not having to moderate more than 2 forums, it'd make it easier on the mods too

santaslayer

HSC
I've never been a mod before but why would that be a burden on the moderators? They are only repping members if they happen to approach a good/bad post. They won't be going out of their own way to rep someone just to fill in a certain quota?

santaslayer

HSC
flyin' said:
We've already considered such a situation, and basically that would put too much of a burden on the mods, and it wouldn't be as effective.
I've never been a mod before but why would that be a burden on the moderators? They are only repping members if they happen to approach a good/bad post. They won't be going out of their own way to rep someone just to fill in a certain quota?

santaslayer

HSC
flyin' said:

sunny

meh.
HSC
santaslayer said:
Its a bit of a burden since it would mean the mods would have to go through every single post posted to see if they are rep worthy. If mods just repped whenever they came across certain posts, people would say its unfair that the mods don't consider all posts posted.

MuSaRuRWa

but isnt it a mod's duty anyway to go thru all posts in those forums they moderate to make sure that theyre ok?
i mean, sure thats hard in the nonschool, entertainment sections etc, but the no.of posts in the subject, school and uni sections arent that many ...

sunny

meh.
HSC
MuSaRuRWa said:
but isnt it a mod's duty anyway to go thru all posts in those forums they moderate to make sure that theyre ok?
i mean, sure thats hard in the nonschool, entertainment sections etc, but the no.of posts in the subject, school and uni sections arent that many ...
Yes thats true. But in most cases, its balantly obvious without having even to read the entire thread (or just read the title!) that things are going wrong. If the mods are repping, it does mean the mods must read every single post posted, even if the mods know the thread is not against the rules or the question asked in the thread has already been answered.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
also some mods will do it more than others and then members will complain the mods for their own subjects don't give out reps

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
santaslayer said:
I subscribe to every thread in every forum I mod. This means I get around 100+ emails a day. I try and glance at every new post made in these threads, but mostly I am just looking for abuse or spam. If I had to take the time to assign rep points then I would be here 24/7.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
sunny said:
Its a bit of a burden since it would mean the mods would have to go through every single post posted to see if they are rep worthy. If mods just repped whenever they came across certain posts, people would say its unfair that the mods don't consider all posts posted.
We would also be compelled to backdate reputation, which would mean screening 1000's of old threads for worthy posts.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
maybe only allowing people to rep if they have certain acknowledgements...

after they have a certain number of posts, they contact the admin/some mods, and get permission to rep. this process might take a while but it is an idea. then after if a member has say 25 rep points, they are give permission to rep as well. so after that initiall bit of work, it will kinda work on its own?

another idea, after someone has reached a certain amount of points, they are given permission to rep. but you cant compare number of posts to spamminess, its inversly related if anything:p but again, just an idea:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)