Reputation or scholarship? (1 Viewer)

smileyhou12

HSC
Ok, so here's the deal. I received a VERY unexpected 96.05 ATAR. My two options are UNSW and Griffith University up in Queensland. The UNSW course is Arts/Law, which requires 99.55 for admission, but I was the recipient of the AAA Scholarship, so I get 5 bonus points + $4000. I just got a call to tell me that I have also received a $20,000 scholarship + admission into the Honours College up at Griffith. So, what do I do?

UNSW
+ Prestige
+ Located in Sydney near family
+ Course is a lot more flexible and more options = probably preferred course
- Don't particularly like the uni (much prefer USYD, and if I do well I guess I could transfer)
- Can someone with an ATAR of 96.05 mix it with the 99ers?

Griffith
+ The campus had a good vibe
+ Less pressure
+ Confirmed on-campus accommodation
+ Cheaper living expenses
+ A $20,000 scholarship
+ Lots of opportunities with the Honours College
- Not as many options course-wise
- Further away from family
- Ranked around 16th/17th in Australia

So, what's better - doing above average at a not-so-good uni, or being below average at a great uni? Also, what is the likelihood of me transferring to Sydney from Griffith after a year? Is it impossible?

mirakon

nigga
HSC
well the con for UNSW where u talk about 'mixing it with the 99ers' is imo pretty invalid. of course u can, uni is completely different. when u get to uni nobody gives a crap about ur atar, its how u perform in the course

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
It's a hard choice certainly. On your various points:

- If you're going to stay in Sydney will you be living with family? Accommodation is a big expense. Off the top of my head I think this past year has cost me around $12-13000 for accommodation (on-campus in Canberra)

- How much do you need the money? Is the scholarship money in addition to free accommodation, or do they expect you to pay your rent with it?

- Once you get to uni, at least in my experience your ATAR becomes irrelevant. HSC performance != uni performance, and after the first two weeks no-one really cares.

- Campus vibe is important.

smileyhou12

HSC
I just hope I can perform well at uni, otherwise there's not much point in me being there really.

It's a hard choice certainly. On your various points:

- If you're going to stay in Sydney will you be living with family? Accommodation is a big expense. Off the top of my head I think this past year has cost me around $12-13000 for accommodation (on-campus in Canberra)

- How much do you need the money? Is the scholarship money in addition to free accommodation, or do they expect you to pay your rent with it?

- Once you get to uni, at least in my experience your ATAR becomes irrelevant. HSC performance != uni performance, and after the first two weeks no-one really cares.

- Campus vibe is important.
I won't be living with family in Sydney, so paying rent will be an issue wherever I go. The scholarship up in Queensland doesn't include free accommodation, so I'll use the money to pay the rent. I'm actually starting to lean more towards going for a straight Arts degree at USYD, because that's my preferred uni by far, and then maybe I can combine with law later... The money up in QLD is quite an appealing offer, but I loved the feel of USYD.

mecramarathon

HSC
oh come on, is it really fair that those who get 99.55 (with hard work and top bands) miss out UNSW Law (suppose the cut off "rises" to 99.60) due to these AAA winners who get $4000!?????

UNSW is pretty rigged. that is all :(

anyway ....

smileyhou12 i'd recommend doing the USYD B arts course, maintain at least a D average and transfer to USYD arts/law course!

Last edited:

smileyhou12

HSC
oh come on, is it really fair that those who get 99.55 (with hard work and top bands) miss out UNSW Law (suppose the cut off "rises" to 99.60) due to these AAA winners who get $4000!?????

anyway ....

smileyhou12 i'd recommend doing the USYD arts law, maintain at least a D average and transfer to USYD arts/law course!
I have to say, I do agree with you there! I don't think it's fair at all...

And I think I'll definitely transfer!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Go for the vibe. You like Sydney better - go for it.

Though as one current Sydney Uni student said to me: "Stay home. Save money."

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

anyway ....

smileyhou12 i'd recommend doing the USYD arts law, maintain at least a D average and transfer to USYD arts/law course!
That's pretty much the worse advice ever.

smileyhou12

HSC
Go for the vibe. You like Sydney better - go for it.

Though as one current Sydney Uni student said to me: "Stay home. Save money."
My family's moving interstate unfortunately, so I'll have to rent for at least a year until they move back... I think I'll go to Sydney and do International and Global Studies, or even Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Ok, so here's the deal. I received a VERY unexpected 96.05 ATAR. My two options are UNSW and Griffith University up in Queensland. The UNSW course is Arts/Law, which requires 99.55 for admission, but I was the recipient of the AAA Scholarship, so I get 5 bonus points + $4000. I just got a call to tell me that I have also received a $20,000 scholarship + admission into the Honours College up at Griffith. So, what do I do?

UNSW
+ Prestige
+ Located in Sydney near family
+ Course is a lot more flexible and more options = probably preferred course
- Don't particularly like the uni (much prefer USYD, and if I do well I guess I could transfer)
- Can someone with an ATAR of 96.05 mix it with the 99ers?

Griffith
+ The campus had a good vibe
+ Less pressure
+ Confirmed on-campus accommodation
+ Cheaper living expenses
+ A $20,000 scholarship
+ Lots of opportunities with the Honours College
- Not as many options course-wise
- Further away from family
- Ranked around 16th/17th in Australia

So, what's better - doing above average at a not-so-good uni, or being below average at a great uni? Also, what is the likelihood of me transferring to Sydney from Griffith after a year? Is it impossible?
Geezus! What scholarship from Griffith was that?! I applied for the Sir Samuel Griffith scholarship and they told me they would be coming in the mail very soon with results of whether applicants are successful or not.

Come to Griffith with me :) It's a great campus and very nice facilities.

smileyhou12

HSC
Geezus! What scholarship from Griffith was that?! I applied for the Sir Samuel Griffith scholarship and they told me they would be coming in the mail very soon with results of whether applicants are successful or not.

Come to Griffith with me :) It's a great campus and very nice facilities.
Yeah it's the Sir Samuel Griffith one that I got - they called me yesterday! It's very tempting because it had a nice vibe when I went up there for open day, but there are a lot more options down here... What are you planning on studying?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah it's the Sir Samuel Griffith one that I got - they called me yesterday! It's very tempting because it had a nice vibe when I went up there for open day, but there are a lot more options down here... What are you planning on studying?
Well if they rang you, I probably didn't get it =(... shiet. I am hoping to get the Bachelor of Medical Science, but probably won't - so I'll end up in Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Honours) Accelerated.

If you don't decide to choose Griffith, ring them up and recommend me because I didn't receive a call. Now I'm scared I didn't get it.

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
That'd be an interesting phonecall: "Yeah, uhh I don't wanna take you up on your offer. However there's this guy who I'd like to recommend... ... who? Uhh, his name is Aquawhite on the Bored of Studies forums? ... ... no, I don't know his real name!"

And to renting - well, if you haven't already gotten accommodation - it's gonna be very tough, smiley. It seemed counterintuitive to me to sign up for residential colleges when I didn't even know what ATAR I got - but apparently you have to do that. So I have no idea and thus I'm staying home.

Good luck in your quest for renting if you do end up going to Sydney though.

smileyhou12

HSC
That'd be an interesting phonecall: "Yeah, uhh I don't wanna take you up on your offer. However there's this guy who I'd like to recommend... ... who? Uhh, his name is Aquawhite on the Bored of Studies forums? ... ... no, I don't know his real name!"

And to renting - well, if you haven't already gotten accommodation - it's gonna be very tough, smiley. It seemed counterintuitive to me to sign up for residential colleges when I didn't even know what ATAR I got - but apparently you have to do that. So I have no idea and thus I'm staying home.

Good luck in your quest for renting if you do end up going to Sydney though.
I'll be looking for private share accommodation - I've had a quick look and there are quite a few options with utilities included for between $100 and $200 a week, which isn't too bad. I have accommodation on-campus at UNSW for $192 a week without utilities, and up at Griffith for $132 with utilities. Let's just hope I find something that's affordable!

I hate you Griffith for not letting me have the scholarship! >_<
Maybe they just haven't gotten around to calling everyone yet? And if people give up their offers, then maybe you're up next? Don't give up just yet!

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Ahh you seem to be in the same predicament as me! I was given a $4000/year scholarship for my local uni (worked out to be $20000 if I did a creative arts/arts double degree), but I'm going to USyd for just plain Arts now, and I won't be getting any scholarships there :p

I was also worried about the 'do well at an average uni, or be average at a great uni' thing, but I'm sure it will be fine, you'd benefit in the long run by being at the better uni because the higher academic standards will push you to work to your maximum.

So yeah, I'd say ignore the money and do what you want to do, because that's the realisation I've come to in the last couple of days. Also I know it's probably very tempting to do the arts/law at UNSW because you're able to with your Atar, but if you'd really prefer straight arts at USyd, then I'd just go for that. I also sort of feel the pressure to use my Atar for something prestigious... but hey, in the long run, I want to do what I'll love, and I know I'll be more successful in something I'm passionate about rather than doing something just because I can.

And as you say, if you do get the marks you can transfer into Arts/Law at USyd.

Ergh making decisions :..(
But it's exciting when you do. :D

smileyhou12

HSC
Ahh you seem to be in the same predicament as me! I was given a $4000/year scholarship for my local uni (worked out to be $20000 if I did a creative arts/arts double degree), but I'm going to USyd for just plain Arts now, and I won't be getting any scholarships there :p

I was also worried about the 'do well at an average uni, or be average at a great uni' thing, but I'm sure it will be fine, you'd benefit in the long run by being at the better uni because the higher academic standards will push you to work to your maximum.

So yeah, I'd say ignore the money and do what you want to do, because that's the realisation I've come to in the last couple of days. Also I know it's probably very tempting to do the arts/law at UNSW because you're able to with your Atar, but if you'd really prefer straight arts at USyd, then I'd just go for that. I also sort of feel the pressure to use my Atar for something prestigious... but hey, in the long run, I want to do what I'll love, and I know I'll be more successful in something I'm passionate about rather than doing something just because I can.

And as you say, if you do get the marks you can transfer into Arts/Law at USyd.

Ergh making decisions :..(
But it's exciting when you do. :D
Have to agree with you there about making decisions...very hard! And I understand what you say about doing something you love and are passionate about - that's why I'm reluctant to go to Griffith, because I can't do the history and philosophy electives I want. I might see you at USyd for Arts then if we do any of the same majors/electives!

janchanisek

Durian
HSC
I would suggest to stay in Sydney as there are definitely more opportunities here and both USyd and UNSW are good unis. However i must say it would be hard to with an ATAR in the 96's to transfer into law in second year, cos its prettty competitive... you'd need an HD average i reckon.
If you are really keen on USyd (like i was, i only chose usyd in all my preferences lol), then go for it... but otherwise, i would be more inclined to choose UNSW, cos you're guaranteed into law and at least you have $4000 scholarship =D {i know its heresy for me to suggest u go to unsw over usyd but i have to be truthful lolol}

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)