Residential Colleges... (1 Viewer)

knuxed

HSC
N/A
Hey there guys,
just wanted to ask.If i apply to St Paul as my first choice,then do i have to send them my Joint Application form with my St Paul's form or do I just send them my St Paul form and the Joint Application form goes to my second choice?Thanks guys

Bob.

HSC
Hey guys just had my interview for Wesley College today. Just gotta wait around now til around Christmas to get the news of whether i got in. anyone know what the chances are of getting in there? i really wanna goto a college, especially Welsey.

oasis

HSC
how was the interview? just curious cos i have one with wesley in a couple of weeks and i dunno what to expect - how casual/formal is it? kinds of questions?

hsc=suicide

HSC
oasis said:
how was the interview? just curious cos i have one with wesley in a couple of weeks and i dunno what to expect - how casual/formal is it? kinds of questions?
ditto, and did you wear a tie? should i wear a tie?

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
hey,

Does anyone know what day the students usually move into college (specifically Women's)? I can't find any info.

Thanks!

shes_jinxed

HSC
dagwoman said:
hey,

Does anyone know what day the students usually move into college (specifically Women's)? I can't find any info.

Thanks!
i think its the sunday or the monday of oweek, pretty sure its the monday

but theyll send u a letter because im sure they have a dinner thing or some sort of welcoming event its not like you just move in and hope to figure out whats going on there should be something formal then they give you to the seniors and welcome to Oweek, im jealous youll have so much fun

SpHan

HSC
Hey! i applied to Wesley as my first preference and John's my second. I only posted my application today tho (29th November) and paid 10 bucks to make the package priority express so that it arrives tomorrow...what do you think my chances are of it not being too late lol? if anyone has any info on wesley (other than that provided by usyd website) i would really appreciate it!
From the sound of it people seem consistently happy with wesley, and i noticed a few people mentioned it has a lot of aggies. does this mean there are lots of country people going there then? i'm from the country...love fellow country dwellers!!

SpHan

HSC
Wow that's so fast, 2pm today got call to say i have an interview schedueld for friday a fortnight away at wesley! so what sort of stuff do they ask is it all 'what can u contribute to the college community?' sort of stuff?

shes_jinxed

HSC
SpHan said:
Wow that's so fast, 2pm today got call to say i have an interview schedueld for friday a fortnight away at wesley! so what sort of stuff do they ask is it all 'what can u contribute to the college community?' sort of stuff?
Heya,
I couldnt say for certain but im pretty sure as far as the country thing goes, I would think that Johns has the most country kids i would say that in my fresher year they were a majority although i could be wrong. Wesley I really dont know all my friends at wesley are from sydney, I always got the impression they were alot more diverse country,city,international than any other college but i could be really wrong Wesley tends to stick to themselves so we dont see them as much as say Drews. But like I said Wesley is a bit of a mystery to me, but I know all my friends love it there. They are pretty big so i think that you spend a lot of time together I dont see as many wosers out on Wednesday nights but i think they all go out on Tuesdays.
Im pretty sure all the interviews for each college are similar, why do you want to come to our college, what can you contribute, what do you plan to study etc. Just bost about academics/sport/cultural/charity etc. They arent all that intense just nice little chats to see what sort of person you are because they have already read your application so have an idea of what you do etc. My friend applied for Wesley in like January 05 and got in for her fresher year so you should be fine, same with Johns although there arent as many places avalible this year because there were close to 100 fresh last year and the majority of us are staying.
i hope that helps being on summer holidays away from college sucks so im bored out of my mind.
But whatever college you will have an amazing time.

SpHan

HSC
shes_jinxed said:
Heya,
I couldnt say for certain but im pretty sure as far as the country thing goes, I would think that Johns has the most country kids i would say that in my fresher year they were a majority although i could be wrong. Wesley I really dont know all my friends at wesley are from sydney, I always got the impression they were alot more diverse country,city,international than any other college but i could be really wrong Wesley tends to stick to themselves so we dont see them as much as say Drews. But like I said Wesley is a bit of a mystery to me, but I know all my friends love it there. They are pretty big so i think that you spend a lot of time together I dont see as many wosers out on Wednesday nights but i think they all go out on Tuesdays.
Im pretty sure all the interviews for each college are similar, why do you want to come to our college, what can you contribute, what do you plan to study etc. Just bost about academics/sport/cultural/charity etc. They arent all that intense just nice little chats to see what sort of person you are because they have already read your application so have an idea of what you do etc. My friend applied for Wesley in like January 05 and got in for her fresher year so you should be fine, same with Johns although there arent as many places avalible this year because there were close to 100 fresh last year and the majority of us are staying.
i hope that helps being on summer holidays away from college sucks so im bored out of my mind.
But whatever college you will have an amazing time.
Thanks for that info! I have John's as my second preference, I don't know what made me put Wesley as first lol. It sounds as though college is an amazing place i am really really looking forward to it now (pending i get in of course!!)
When do all the colleges come together are there clubs within the uni or do u hang out in places like newtown pubs etc? And are there formals or balls that all the colleges attend?

shes_jinxed

HSC
SpHan said:
Thanks for that info! I have John's as my second preference, I don't know what made me put Wesley as first lol. It sounds as though college is an amazing place i am really really looking forward to it now (pending i get in of course!!)
When do all the colleges come together are there clubs within the uni or do u hang out in places like newtown pubs etc? And are there formals or balls that all the colleges attend?
You couldnt go wrong with Wes goodluck getting in they always look like they are having fun the few times ive visited even if i got hit by water bombs by the seniors when i was walking in lol

Wednesday nights!!!!! - thats when we all come together, our weekends start on Wendesday and they are awersome. My friend said that most of Wesley goes out on tuesday but I dont know shes a bit of a nerdburger so she could have missed the memo about wednesdays lol. But my other friend there is crazy so i see her at everything.
Wednesday nights are heaps of fun especially in first semester when you start to get to know everyone at intercol, all the colleges go to their pubs, drews - roxbry, i think thats also wesleys but they have their night on tues, pauls goes to sals which is awersome but in pauls and hence womens goes their too, and johns HQ even tho Manning (the uni bar is ment to be our offical sponsor but we cancelled our contract with them because they suck). Then everyone heads to the Grose where it all gets very messy but luckily for us its right across the road from Johns I like to think of it as our living room. Then if your lucky you break into Rydges hotel and go swimming in their pool lol. Basically we hit up the pubs in Gleb Naggs, Roxbry, HQ and the Grose.
Then the colleges have their own bars which they open for parties I would say Sals at Pauls is the best (could be slightly biased there for other reasons lol) they have lots of big themed parties but its mostly pauls and womens but they are the only pub open all week if your a guy then youd appreciate the Womens girls....commitment to their costumes lol. Drews have highlander every now and then which is lots of fun but you have to get to know ppl at Drews otherwise it can be a little intense lol. We have the Dail which doesnt open that often but is always good fun and finally should be renovated soon.
I dont think Wesley has a pub but i could be wrong.

As for formals and informals, each college has their own. Pauls has a massive informal surreal sounds which everyone goes to uni ppl, ppl outside uni its really well known. Drews informals are smaller and its mostly them and they invite their friends. Ours were at manning this semester i heard the first was good I was rejected by the bouncer so I wouldnt know, the second was ok but manning sucks balls. Wesleys got cancelled this year i think their license fell through but i went to one in 05 and it was fun. Formals are some of the best nights of the year I think most the colleges have one in each semester obviously you have to be invited to other colleges as a date. Johns were massive and messy, and Pauls was amazing they pulled out all the stops bc they are rich.

If i can give you one tip, go to everything intercol at least at the start make as many friends possible at other colleges. Youll know everyone at Wes by the end of Oweek, but then go to all the events with your friends (and there are a lot) at the beginning because its always fun to go out and become friends with ppl from other colleges so you have a back up if your friends arent up for going out, that way you get to experience all of intercol and will get invited to the other colleges formals and informals.

Thats was a long response sorry, but i remember before I came I really didnt have much of an idea even tho I was already at usyd and had been to a few informals etc and wanted to know anything anyone could tell me. Plus im bored. Being a fresher is lots of fun as someone else mentioned you are new everyone wants to get to know you, freshers go to everything because uni is that important first year lol.
Best of luck getting in :)

Last edited:

shes_jinxed

HSC
Bob. said:
well i just recieved my rejection from wesley. damn
that sucks
did you apply for any other colleges?
Any college is better than no college even skancta (tho i doubt your going there)
honestly after Oweek you will wonder why you ever applied to another college
I doubt there are few if any ppl that sit in their college wishing that they got into a different one unless they are a nuffy and have no friends at their own college

oh and if you truely had your heart set on Wesley be persistant. I know a girl at Drews that got rejected but rang up a little while later and asked if any places had become avalible and she got in, my bf got rejected from pauls so he wrote a letter im not exactly sure what it said but it was along the lines of why he would be a benifit to college or something and he got in too. So you never know, they have offered places but remember that a bunch of ppl dont even know what uni they are going to or might be deffering so places might always become avalible.
good luck

Last edited:

SpHan

HSC
Thanks heap, shes jinxed, for your big reply! i reading heaps of info, especially coming from a student who is at college! much appreciated :D!

SpHan

HSC
I just had another thought- do most ppl go into college knowing nobody? (As is my case lol)

shes_jinxed

HSC
SpHan said:
I just had another thought- do most ppl go into college knowing nobody? (As is my case lol)
yeah id say the majority know no one. Did you say you were from the country? because there are alot of country kids so everyone kinda knows each other even if not directly or live near each other.
Kids from the same schools come, like the big private schools at johns we have view, joeys, normo etc but its rarely entire groups of friends
Trust me youll be scared on the first night, then get drunk and wake up the next morning like youve known each other your whole lives
Its impossible not to make friends in oweek
the only thing you need to worry about your future at college is your liver lol

Last edited:

jessied

HSC
shes_jinxed said:
yeah id say the majority know no one. Did you say you were from the country? because there are alot of country kids so everyone kinda knows each other even if not directly or live near each other.
Kids from the same schools come, like the big private schools at johns we have view, joeys, normo etc but its rarely entire groups of friends
Trust me youll be scared on the first night, then get drunk and wake up the next morning like youve known each other your whole lives
Its impossible not to make friends in oweek
the only thing you need to worry about your future at college is your live lol
It's only impossible not to make friends in oweek if your a baby fresher without a fake ID.

Is anyone else having Grey's withdrawals?

shes_jinxed

HSC
jessied said:
It's only impossible not to make friends in oweek if your a baby fresher without a fake ID.

Is anyone else having Grey's withdrawals?
hahah yeah forgot about babyfresh - Get a fake ID!!! My friend and I went to sancta in oweek when we got rejected from manning for being too intoxicated or whatever and their babyfresh were watching TV even tho theyd been given alcohol by the seniors I was so confused so they gave us a bottle of p.p and we went on our merry way

Yes im having Greys withdrawals lol, and alcohol, and social contact withdrawal I want to go back now! But gotta say im not missing the over priced internet.

jessied

HSC
shes_jinxed said:
hahah yeah forgot about babyfresh - Get a fake ID!!! My friend and I went to sancta in oweek when we got rejected from manning for being too intoxicated or whatever and their babyfresh were watching TV even tho theyd been given alcohol by the seniors I was so confused so they gave us a bottle of p.p and we went on our merry way

Yes im having Greys withdrawals lol, and alcohol, and social contact withdrawal I want to go back now! But gotta say im not missing the over priced internet.
Haha the Sancta babyfreshers weren't big drinkers this year (me included). DEFINATLY get a fake ID if your going to be a babyfresher. Don't rely on using someone else's who you don't really look like and who the bouncers know...

Social contact withdrawal is making me crazy.... Not missing the over priced internet at all, or the dodgy food. Already lost 1kg since I've been home...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)