Restore the right to offend (1 Viewer)

Should section 18c of the racial discrimination act be changed?

• Yes

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • No

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
nobody is saying you can't be offended, we're saying that just because someone gets offended by what you say doesn't mean you can't say that thing

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
The Liberal party fucking hate free speech,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_sedition_law , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Peaceful_Pill_Handbook , etc

I don't know what the push to repeal section 18C is actually about, but I think you are a total sucker if you've been taken into thinking this is actually about free speech, the fourth estate have totally taken us on a ride over this.

My guess about why they are pushing to repeal 18C, and not the numerous other laws that are actually threatening to everyday free speech in Australia, that they've introduced and actively support, would be something like:

- dog whistle politics
- andrew bolt's celebrity status
- as a 'fuck you' to the Left for the lols, juvenile culture warrior bullshit

so I am very sceptical and don't support Brandis stupid bullshit

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
And also you can talk shit about the government in China online, they just censor it.
great freedom

you could be charged under anti discrimination act because you don't want to hire a certain type of people
Article 13 of the PRC Labour Law prescribes that employees or applicants for employment must not be discriminated against on the basis of nationality, race, gender, or religious belief.

Various levels of government have mandated quotas of ethnic minority representation across China.

If you understand Mandarin, just watch a show called, FCWR
"Six months after the show (FCWR) first aired, officials from the State Administration of Radio, Film and Television stepped in to regulate the show."

Wow such freedom

In China, as long as you don't insult the Party or China itself, due to nationalist fanatics, you have the right to express your opinion without repercussions.
So they only stepped in to regulate FCWR because they insulted the Party right?

"Female contestant Ma Nuo became a media interest after her controversial remarks to a male contestant that she would "prefer to cry in a BMW" than laugh riding on the back of a bicycle... From that point forward (the government mandated that) FCWR was to curb mentions of financial wealth and sex"

Oh

The show was regulated because the party perceived that the materalistic, shallow contestants did not reflect traditional Chinese values. While you can't show tits at 7pm on Australian TV, the Chinese state is far more conservative than this.

the amount of shit ppl say on that show freely what would be deemed a career suicide if it was said in the West.
No successful Chinese people go on that show bro.

Anna Wintour

HSC
N/A
arguably the only form of free speech in australia exists in the form of parliamentary privilege.

Anna Wintour

HSC
N/A

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_sedition_law , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Peaceful_Pill_Handbook , etc

I don't know what the push to repeal section 18C is actually about, but I think you are a total sucker if you've been taken into thinking this is actually about free speech, the fourth estate have totally taken us on a ride over this.

My guess about why they are pushing to repeal 18C, and not the numerous other laws that are actually threatening to everyday free speech in Australia, that they've introduced and actively support, would be something like:

- dog whistle politics

its kind of silly saying you cant be in favour of freedom of speech when you dont support anything less than an outright constituional bill of rights enshrining it.

Australians arent sophisticated to vote for an outright enshrining of freedom of speech.

Like most politicians they were reacting to what was perceived as the possible unintended consequences of 18c.

Unfortunately in this country our freedoms come from the largesse of government.

RishBonjour99

HSC
N/A
nobody is saying you can't be offended, we're saying that just because someone gets offended by what you say doesn't mean you can't say that thing
You need Jesus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkAd6UBXnHQ

You are undoubtedly the most ignorant and racist person on BoS. Only because you're on the net because you can ignore anything you can't reply to. Wouldn't be surprised if you gather your info through TodayTonight. Great program.

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC

- dog whistle politics

Well the lefties needs the medicine of the "fuck you" so they lefties should get fucked, also 18c is used against Australians (eg Austrailans can't say "behead those that support islam", but however a muslim can say "behead those who insult islam")

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Well the lefties needs the medicine of the "fuck you" so they lefties should get fucked
Good point, well made

also 18c is used against Australians (eg Austrailans can't say "behead those that support islam", but however a muslim can say "behead those who insult islam")
"A TEENAGE boy who screamed death threats against Christians outside a school in Sydney’s west has been charged.

The 14-year-old was in the front passenger seat of a red hatchback driven by another man when he allegedly began bellowing abuse outside the Maronite College of the Holy Family in Harris Park on September 16.

Onlookers told AAP they threatened to “kill the Christians” and slaughter their children while brandishing an Islamic State flag.

Following an investigation, the teenager was arrested by police on Tuesday.

He was later charged with intimidating a school staff member and offensive conduct.

The boy will front a children’s court on October 13."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-...068781877?nk=d9434cf016bd0e6af5186b435b959c75

You are full of shit mate

Gary_Oak

Taking a Piss
HSC
Good point, well made

"A TEENAGE boy who screamed death threats against Christians outside a school in Sydney’s west has been charged.

The 14-year-old was in the front passenger seat of a red hatchback driven by another man when he allegedly began bellowing abuse outside the Maronite College of the Holy Family in Harris Park on September 16.

Onlookers told AAP they threatened to “kill the Christians” and slaughter their children while brandishing an Islamic State flag.

Following an investigation, the teenager was arrested by police on Tuesday.

He was later charged with intimidating a school staff member and offensive conduct.

The boy will front a children’s court on October 13."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-...068781877?nk=d9434cf016bd0e6af5186b435b959c75

You are full of shit mate
That the odd times tho that revese has happened, if they really want to prove me wrong, how about the cops arrest the protesters who held up the "behead those who insult islam" signs

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
That the odd times tho that revese has happened, if they really want to prove me wrong, how about the cops arrest the protesters
At least 12 muslims were jailed over those riots

http://world.time.com/2013/05/14/harsh-sentence-a-warning-to-australias-malcontent-muslim-youth/

who held up the "behead those who insult islam" signs
As far as I know there was only one person reported holding that specific sign - and she publicly apologised, explained that it was a mistake, the sign was found and picked up by her child, and she didn't know what it meant. This explanation was accepted by police and the minister for community services.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/it...478441135?nk=d9434cf016bd0e6af5186b435b959c75

Last edited:

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
18c is used against Australians (eg Austrailans can't say "behead those that support islam", but however a muslim can say "behead those who insult islam")
There has never been a ruling made on any section of the racial discrimination act about anything concerning Islam.

No section of the act, including section 18c, has ever found any comment made by anyone in Australia in regard to Islam to be unlawful.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/03/27/interactive-race-discrimination-cases-brits-bolt

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
The point I am trying to make is that discussion with the right to offend should be constructive, not in a manner that stigmatises a vast majority of a specific population...

Something that you would probably do, if you had more of a voice... the point of 18C is to stop people like you, who are completely disinterested in constructive discussion and seek to only ride a wave of outcry...

It's good law... However, it could be worded very, very differently...

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
The point I am trying to make is that discussion with the right to offend should be constructive, not in a manner that stigmatises a vast majority of a specific population...

Something that you would probably do, if you had more of a voice... the point of 18C is to stop people like you, who are completely disinterested in constructive discussion and seek to only ride a wave of outcry...

so you don't support freedom of speech

thanks for clearing that up

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A

You really don't like free speech do you? It's supposed to protect ALL kinds of opinions no matter how racist or bigoted you might perceive.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad

What might be considered "racist" may not be racist at all... But the mentioned religion may feel that way.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
so you don't support freedom of speech

thanks for clearing that up
You really don't like free speech do you? It's supposed to protect ALL kinds of opinions no matter how racist or bigoted you might perceive.
Free speech within reason, of course... Free speech to all, no...

It's a right that is quite often hijacked by the bigots... Just being honest, that's all...

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Free speech within reason, of course... Free speech to all, no...

It's a right that is quite often hijacked by the bigots... Just being honest, that's all...
so you don't support free speech

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)