Results Check / Raw Marks / Exam Responses (1 Viewer)

smik11

HSC
Question.

Lets say I get my marks checked for a subject and there was an error and my poorer marks before had affected the other people ranked near me. would their marks get changed too?

Dylanamali

HSC
Question.

Lets say I get my marks checked for a subject and there was an error and my poorer marks before had affected the other people ranked near me. would their marks get changed too?
good question.. but unfortunately no.
That would be too much effort for BOS and they wouldn't want to have to deal with that. lol

Dylanamali

HSC
Question.

good question.. but unfortunately no.
That would be too much effort for BOS and they wouldn't want to have to deal with that. lol

HSC
I just had a question regarding the prices...

It says raw marks includes the cost of a clerical check...so even if I didn't want a clerical check, but wanted raw marks, I still have to pay for it?

burkefan

HSC
Say if I got my raw marks and examination response, but for a response I feel a 3/5 is worth a 4/5 or 5/5 (when I have 5 valid arguments for a question). Can I appeal the mark and get my mark increased?

oyuck

HSC
Unfortunately, it is not possible to appeal a mark given.

Only clerical errors are resolved.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

oyuck

HSC
I just had a question regarding the prices...

It says raw marks includes the cost of a clerical check...so even if I didn't want a clerical check, but wanted raw marks, I still have to pay for it?
Yes, you must pay for both if the check has not been ordered already. I guess this ensures only accurate raw marks are released.

oyuck

HSC
What if the markers were biased?
For subjective responses, they were doubled marked.

As Rafy posted, there are quality mechanisms and checks in place to ensure all scripts are marked fairly and equally.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What if the markers were biased?

All written responses worth 10 marks or more are marked at least twice. If the two markers are too far apart in their marks then the response is marked a third time.

For responses worth less than 10 marks the SM do regular checks to ensure that the standards are being maintained. If they find a problem with a marker they talk to them about the problem.

All markers I know take marking seriously realising that students have tried hard. Even if we disagree with their argument we are professional enough to mark on the argument not on our personal bias.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
If i were to get a result check what happens exactly? Is it just the HSC exam mark that could change? For physics i got a bit lower than expected but was still happy and presumed it was due to poor aligning this year and silly mistakes etc.

I was rank 6 confirmed on students online and my internal and external were exactly the same (80), 2 people in my grade got band 6s in physics and if trials were any indication rank 3 must have been pretty close (EDIT: She got high band 5 i've heard). I came 6th in the trials too, there was around 4 people who were 2-4 marks behind me in trials as well. I began to wonder a bit about my internal mark when finding out a guy ranked around 10th (somewhere 8-12, got slightly higher than him in each assesment afaik) got 81 for physics suggesting his exam mark must have been like 83+ (so above my internal). I was speaking to the two physics teachers and one said there were "lots of band 5s", there are 30 of us doing physics so surely 4 people (they were talking to the guy who got 81 and I so that'd be just two others..) can't be considered lots? Does it sound like anything could be wrong or just that the relative gaps for assesment marks ended up being small and combined with the rounding it just makes it seem odd?

I'm doing a results check for physics anyway because ill have to considering it is one of the subjects im interested in seeing my raw in - especially since it is right on band 5 cutoff. I'm still happy with my marks and ATAR and i've already been informed im getting an early round offer for the course i wanted so i don't really need or want extra marks but still want to know.

EDIT: My friend was rank 1 in economics and it looked like he would get band 6 easily but for whatever reason the whole grade didn't go as well as expected and he got an 84 with 82 exam and 85 assesment. He was 2 whole % above 2nd and 3rd for internal but despite this the student ranked 6th (by his own account, isn't the kind to lie though) got the exact same hsc mark (84) another student got very close to it and when i was speaking with the two economics teachers they mentioned it was the first time in awhile our school haven't got atleast one band 6 in eco and then straight away mentioned high band 5s. As for the girls who were second and third, one supposedly bombed out in the hsc and the other has been secretive about all her marks and atar (even though i know she got 3 band 6s off DA list) - what they got is pretty much irrelevant in this circumstance anyway. It definitely looks like something went wrong with internal for him - will a results check remedy this if it was a problem or should he confirm with the school and others first and then directly ring up bos? Im encouraging him to get a results check anyway because his trials and half yearly marks were amazing and he was very prepared for the hsc and walked out happy with it all so getting 82 exam mark is pretty weird, the teacher he had has taught for 30 years and has marked the hsc before.

Last edited:

Eskimowolf

HSC
When you apply for raw marks, does the BOS organise them according to the sections/questions of the exam? Or is it just a singular raw number?

katoji

HSC
What does this mean?
"For any question where ‘non-attempt’ is recorded on our system, we have verified that you did notmake an attempt at the question"

This is part of what I got back in my results check pdf. I'm pretty freaking sure I answered all of the essay questions required...you know, all two of them...(this is not for English, btw)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
They will pull out all the sections of your paper and ensure that you have a valid response for all the sections. A valid response is one that addresses the question and also meets the requirements of the exam - e.g. you haven't answered two question in the one section rather than two separate questions.

If you think you answered everything properly and have been told that you have a NA registered then ask for copies of your papers - and check that you didn't say do two questions in one section rather than one question from each of two sections. If you accidentally answered two questions from the one section instead of one from each of two sections then one of them would register as an NA.

As we are talking about essays here - at least two people would have recorded an NA or the computer will have picked up two responses in the same section and only counted the top one.

M

MichelleV

Right; I got a response in return for my request for a results check.
It basically told me nothing.
It was like. We checked.

AND THEN WHAT, BOS? O_O

Seriously.

Wtf?

What does this mean?
"For any question where ‘non-attempt’ is recorded on our system, we have verified that you did notmake an attempt at the question"

This is part of what I got back in my results check pdf. I'm pretty freaking sure I answered all of the essay questions required...you know, all two of them...(this is not for English, btw)

That was in mine too.
It seems they may have just sent out a standard message to everybody without actually telling us yes or no :/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)