ROSA (1 Viewer)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
The Board has released a document outlining the proposed NSW Record of School Achievement that will replace the current School Certificate from next year.

Implementing a proposed NSW Record of School Achievement [PDF]

A consultation period on the proposals is now underway and a survey is available for completion here: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/schoolcertificate/survey-record-school-achievement.html

To recap, the following has already been agreed in regards to the new credential:

The new credential will:
• be a record of achievement for students who leave school prior to receiving their HSC
• report results of moderated, school-based assessment, not external tests
• be available when a student leaves school any time after they complete Year 10
• be cumulative and recognise a student’s achievements until the point they leave school
• show a result for all courses completed in Year 10 and Year 11
• be able to be reliably compared between students across NSW
• give students the option to take online literacy and numeracy tests
• be comprehensive and offer the ability to record a student’s extra-curricular achievements.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Proposed Record of School Achievement

That seems like a far better and comprehensive idea than the School Certificate. It integrates all of your achievements toward the end of the document so there is a record across the board of what you've achieved. I like it.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad

Seems decent as you can't leave school until you are 17.

At my school, they are having formal examination style yearlies for the next year's 10 and onwards, pretty much like the SC but school written.

zoe2

HSC
N/A

"Without the external tests, schools will have additional time in Term 4 to complete Year 10 course requirements"

2 months of doing nothing after the SC exams did seem a waste.

wildchild666

HSC

"Without the external tests, schools will have additional time in Term 4 to complete Year 10 course requirements"

2 months of doing nothing after the SC exams did seem a waste.
They need to add more to the syllabus then. What they have at the moment is no where near enough to last the full year.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

As a teacher of Year 10 I must disagree. I struggle to cover the mandatory content in the hours now so it will be nice to have an extra two weeks to finish the course. They certainly don't need to add anything as now we will be able to actually do things other than simply read and summarise but delve more deeply into the issues.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

As a teacher of Year 10 I must disagree. I struggle to cover the mandatory content in the hours now so it will be nice to have an extra two weeks to finish the course. They certainly don't need to add anything as now we will be able to actually do things other than simply read and summarise but delve more deeply into the issues.
2 weeks!? School certificate ended around like 4-5 weeks before school holidays started, and you can count the week of the actual SC in that as well (as the week of trials now = week of examinations)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

2 weeks!? School certificate ended around like 4-5 weeks before school holidays started, and you can count the week of the actual SC in that as well (as the week of trials now = week of examinations)

At my school Year 10 didn't come back after the SC which was in Week 5. They did the exams and AMOW in Week 5 and then onto Work Experience for Week 6. That is when they finished. From now on they will be doing their exams in Week 6 - so for us two weeks extra teaching - then Work Experience.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC

At my school Year 10 didn't come back after the SC which was in Week 5. They did the exams and AMOW in Week 5 and then onto Work Experience for Week 6. That is when they finished. From now on they will be doing their exams in Week 6 - so for us two weeks extra teaching - then Work Experience.
Oh sorry haha, completely didn't realise that exams in the actual last week of school would a bad idea =P. Work experience after SC is new though isn't it? Would they keep that?

saysesame

HSC

We're getting it... and I believe that neither the teachers nor the students understand how it really works. Oh well...
Anyone else?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)