Rudd to build broadband network (1 Viewer)

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Wouldn't it be just better to install WiFI in cities like sydney, Melborune etc. That is installing huge WiFi servers, as WiFi technology is alot cheaper.
That's a pretty shit idea, but it does touch on another idea: wireless broadband.
I actually suspect this will be what Telstra uses to compete, since a) they plan to build it anyway, b) you don't need to lay down cables, c) they need it (4G) to stay competitive with mobile phones anyway.

Not to mention Telstra still has access to the NBN anyway if they desire (just like Optus and 3 have access to Telstra's 'pipes').

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Thankfully I'd imagine the Libs will just privatise it when they are next in power.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I dont confindently fault the Rudd government for any policy so far. However I cant shake the suspicion that Rudd's vanity seems present in this determination to effect such massive plans, 'the biggest this nation has ever seen' etc. I get an ugly feeling when I see him appear so satisfied with these statements - a self-satisfaction implying that his immortal place in history is finally secured, rather than the conviction that such policies are for the objective good of the nation and urgently needed...

HSC
I dont confindently fault the Rudd government for any policy so far. However I cant shake the suspicion that Rudd's vanity seems present in this determination to effect such massive plans, 'the biggest this nation has ever seen' etc. I get an ugly feeling when I see him appear so satisfied with these statements - a self-satisfaction implying that his immortal place in history is finally secured, rather than the conviction that such policies are for the objective good of the nation and urgently needed...
so in other words he is a short sighted dickhead with minimal leadership qualities?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
lol idk. The outcomes may well vindicate him, but i'm personally yet to be convinced that the aims are not all about Rudd, rather than the nation

S.H.O.D.A.N.

world
HSC
Thankfully I'd imagine the Libs will just privatise it when they are next in power.
You mean like Labour plans to anyway?

But yes, it's ludicrous to imagine this could possibly end up staying government-owned.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Labor plans to sell off the government's share within 5 years of completion anyway.

This is a retarded idea.

DBCDE has proven they don't understand how the internet works, why would they then want to be an ISP?

NBN compulsory filter woo.

Also where's the expert panel report?

Re: Internet censorship: The network will be wholesale and open access. If the system is open access, then you don't have to use their backhaul or interconnects. Doesn't this mean that the company is essentially just providing the pipes?

Re: The ideas that this will be Telstra MkII monopoly: iirc the company that owns the wholesale network cannot be a service provider on it so I don't think this will turn out to be a second Telstra.

Last edited:

aussie-boy

HSC
I cant believe how much negativity there is in this thread!!! Its truly absurd!

Why would you want a private company to have a monopoly over communications infrastructure? Look at the status quo - telstra charges whatever it likes (despite constant bickering between it and the ACCC) to ISPs for use of the copper network, and as a result internet is very expensive.

If any of you had read Telstra's tender submission, I doubt you would be taking this position. Do you really want to pay upwards of $80 a month for ~15GB of internet? This is what they were proposing to charge.

I think its absolutely fantastic what Rudd is doing. He's chasing the latest technologies (upping his proposal from FFTN - FTTH) and building it in a way that it can be run with minimal prices to the consumer - as only the heavily competing ISPs will be earning profit (i.e. telstra wont be taking a cut anymore)

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Worst case scenario: Government goes bankrupt building infrastructure that the private sector could have done.
Except that no private company would, because the rollout cost of installing fibre optic cables to 90% of the population is completely unviable.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Labour plans to sell off the government's share within 5 years of completion anyway.

Re: The network will be wholesale and open access. If the system is open access, then you don't have to use their backhaul or interconnects. Doesn't this mean that the company is essentially just providing the pipes?

Re: The ideas that this will be Telstra MkII monopoly: iirc the company that owns the wholesale network cannot be a service provider on it so I don't think this will turn out to be a second Telstra.
It's only in the last 5 years that anyone has been able to have their own DSLAMs even

Last edited:

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
you know that telstra own like all of Australia's copper cabling (except for optus' coaxial ones) and that all ISPs have to rent it from them?
Yeah, they have an absolute monopoly atm - they are the only wholesaler, a fucking tragedy imo.

It's only in the last 5 years that anyone has been able to have their own DSLAMs even
Yeah, gave the other ISPs a fighting chance by letting them use their own equipment instead of using Telstra's ports but this only helps for ADSL2+. All ISPs still have to use Telstra's equipment for ADSL.

Listen to Triple J now, NBN info.

Last edited:

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I want to build a fiber optic cable from my house to the Mecheng building. Today I did a speed test and got 89 Mbit/s down and 87 Mbit/s up.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
This is retarded given ADSL2+ and PIPE's stuff opening at the end of the year

PIPE GUYS PIPE WOO PIPE

PIPE PIPE

http://www.asx.com.au/asx/statistics/showAnnouncementPDF.do?idsID=00845284

This entire idea was fucked from the START.
Link isn't working for me.

What pipe stuff are you talking about? The 1.4XTb/s pipe they are opening? Australia needs more international pipes so we can get rid of this quota BS imo.

Whilst FTTN may have been enough to suffice for the next couple years we would have had to rip that out eventually too and replace it with FTTH, we're better off just doing it now. Besides, the government is still investing the planned 4.3billion with the remainder coming from investments ala Telstra MkII but this time, hopefully, we've learnt enough from the past for it not to end up another monopoly.

greekgun

HSC
Awesome - im glad the government has finally decided to take Australias internet into its own hands and are actually willing to fix/update our network...but the amount of controll the government has over the internet is making me worry.

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
what's a WAN?

is it like a wang?

cause it'd be heaps funny if the government built a penis which stretched across the entire continent, albeit a waste of money.

but still funny.
I <3 you Gloves.

You and your giant penis that stretches across Australia, and Uncle Jamal

Last edited:

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/commun...-submarine-cable/0,130061791,339290885,00.htmFTTP (Premises) will be overtaken by WiMax and LTE end of 2010. 4G and 5G wireless will take over Fibre fairly soon.

Also we have peering issues, total access to bandwidth issues (How many pipes into Australia) pricing issues...
Fiber won't be overtaken by wireless alternatives anytime soon. AFAIK fiber is only limited by the speed of light isn't it? NTT Japan is currently pushing 14Trillion bits down a single strand of fiber and increasing this simple by upgrading the switches at each end, not having to actually change the fiber - I don't see wireless ever matching these wired solutions.
http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=564

IMO - the Rudd government has it right for once, this plan has the approval of the right people too. Simon Hackett, Mark Pesce etc are normally pretty skeptical about this kind of stuff, especially after conroynet, but they seem to believe that a open access wholesaler of FTTH is the best outcome.

You sure you don't hate this idea simply because it's Labor lol?

But yeah, I agree with you on the point of international pipes. We would need another one (perhaps two) to cope with this kind of network.

Last edited:

aussie-boy

HSC
That's nosense and you know it. The issue is the taxpayers eating the risk for a boondoggle that won't be financially viable.
That's the point of having a government... to run services that aren't financially viable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)