Rudd to build broadband network (1 Viewer)

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Also Fibre isn't abstract!Fibre. The basic Fibre that they would install isn't the particularly sheathed fibre that you get the hell speed increases on. It's not a Cat5 -> Cat 6 comparison; to increase capacity you need to spend billions to do a total overhaul.
Reading up on this^ now.

LTE and WiMax are looking at 1gbit point to point post 2010. Hell fast.
That's point to point though, wouldn't ISPs normally provide this as a shared medium?

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
it doesn't really matter wtf the speeds are, your never going to download that fast.
correct me if im wrong, but my internet connection is 9.8Mbps but the max speed that ive reached is 2mbps.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
it doesn't really matter wtf the speeds are, your never going to download that fast.
correct me if im wrong, but my internet connection is 9.8Mbps but the max speed that ive reached is 2mbps.
Lol I don't think you know the difference between Mbps and megabytes. I have got over 1 megabyte per second before.

Lentern

HSC
Worst case scenario: Government goes bankrupt building infrastructure that the private sector could have done.
Worse case scenario government leaves it to the private sector, private sector doesn't do it, it never gets done.

aussie-boy

HSC
I posit internet isn't equivalent to health or water...

OH BUT LETS GET THE GOVERNMENT TO RUN A SERIES OF DISCOUNT FASHION STORES TOO
I think it is

Like health, water and public transport, internet boosts productivity of the population and improves quality of life for many people

Considering its success fulfilling those 2 criteria, I think it is definitely something that should be provided at a loss (with the knowledge that this "loss" will be made up in extra tax revenue in the future)

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
Lol I don't think you know the difference between Mbps and megabytes. I have got over 1 megabyte per second before.
lol, that's what i meant. 1 megabyte....the max ive reached is 2 megabyte a second.

but with like 100 megabytes a second, its only theoretical speeds, i find it very hard to believe that you could even download that much in a second. i cant even reach my max.

HSC
Those of you who do recall
that beloved, rather tall
TV hero, Elmer Fudd
will be fans of Kevin Rudd.

He is timid, he is plastic,
up against the sly, bombastic,
still encumbent apparatus,
which disperses lots of flatus.

Howard, ageing and confused,
secretly he's been abused
by that swine-ear balding fellow
known to all as Pete Costello.
Still, he knows the road ahead
vote for Howard or dropp dead!

Saved each penny, had them polished,
thus the myth did get demolished
of his fiscal true credentials,
yes, he knew about essentials
had a barn built for the stash
as his motto was SAVE CASH!

Now it comes (you see?) quite handy,
truckloads of the stuff, that's dandy
spend it where the people scream,
Howard will be on your team.
Hospitals and schools and busses,
all add up as crucial plusses,
get the freak that looks so basic
like Miss Piggy, multiphasic,
show the people who's their master
who can save them, stall disaster,
while our Kevin sits and ponders
on the global sense and wonders
what if anything he misses
(no, it isn't Johnny's kisses) .

PEEP, he says but no one hears,
which just adds to my own fears
that this diplomat's cease fire,
which a few of you admire,
might assure that, after all,
you will BE there, at the ball,
hold your hand up, still expecting,
that of those who were defecting
but returned to ride the wave
acting sober, proud and brave,
one would be the trusted bearer
and an arid land seafarer
hand the key to you right then,
make you leader of all men.

Sorry, buddy, I am certain
that they'll pull the final curtain
if you do not act the MAN!
You must utter 'YES I CAN! '
Otherwise you'll be forgotten
soon, when weeds are truly rotten
I, for one shall have a cry,
asking you, why, oh just WHY?

Lentern

HSC
Private sector doesn't do it because the regulation has stipulations on rolling out a third party network. These include coverage requirements that make the network construction no longer viable.

The best outcome would be a series of these micro networks rolled out by third party providers, connected with peering agreements.

Kind of what PIPE's proposal for the NBN stuff was.

What's so nonsense is Rudd saying this is the "Railroad of the 21st century" and it highlights how utterly run by government our country is. In the US third parties rolled out so much railroad that countries were bankruped by the boom in the situation and people lost out, but the railroads helped pave the way for the prosperity they experienced.

The same happened with the web bubbled, there are PETABITS of dark fibre all throughout the US (Unused fibre backbone) that google is slowly buying up that was laid out during the bubble.

This nation is so strangled by regulation in our kowtowing to those in country areas that companies are not compelled to go their own way due to the onerous restrictions.

It's absurd to blame private enterprise for not adhering to the situation particularly when it's so unfairly stacked against them.

If you live in the country you should reap the consequences of that. You know an ambulance will take longer, you know you may run out of water, you know you may not have mobile coverage.

What makes you entitled to broadband?
The private sector won't get it done because frankly the private sector never does. And I'm entitled to it because I pay a certain amount of money for it each month.

Lentern

HSC
You pay for your own services...

What the fuck?

Private sector would do it if the onerous regulation wasn't there. Read the PIPE submission.

If you haven't read everything on the background in this scenario then you're not fit to comment.
No it wouldn't do it, it's the myth we allways herefrom you people, cut them free and private enterprise will do all these wonderful things, it's a dream.

Lentern

HSC
Well you can do all sorts of seemingly great things if you have a monopoly on force, taxation and control of the money supply.

But it all costs something. The government may be able to build a 'better' broadband network than the private sector would have, but the real question is; is it better value?
I'm yet to see what this "freedom" would do to improve my life aside from the warm fuzzy feeling that says I am free. Ofcourse I am a weak little man in and in a free world would have no way of stopping the big kids picking on me so that fuzzy feeling wouldbe easilly beaten out.

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
Also rudd blaming the lack of response to their original proposal (Which was dogshit) on the financial situation is disingenuous and absolutely nonsense.

Dodgy politics.
it's the excuse they can use for anything :S

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Goddammit, I missed the important bits because bos went down for me for some weird ass reason.

Lentern

HSC
That's a strawman and you know it. Almost all libertarians believe in some sort of government intervention to prevent the use of force against you. Even anarcho-capitalists support private security forces doing basically the same thing (not that I agree with this).

If you can't see how freedom to do what you want with your own life is beneficial, I pity you.
Having the government supply my internet is a fair leap from not being able to choose what to do with my life.

justanotherposter

Epic Member
HSC
Forums do not work that way.
Oh, I figured bos was just down for me for some odd reason, I guess I missed the windows when it was actually up because there's been a page of posts since I was last able to get in.

Anyhow - it seems that the after the sell off of the NBN after completion no entity can own more than 20% of it. They must be really scared of another Telstra.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Having the government supply my internet is a fair leap from not being able to choose what to do with my life.
Why don't we get the government to provide us with food? I mean if the private sector fucked up on food and just decided not to provide it we'd be pretty fucked right?

x.christina

I am actually a cat
HSC
Uni Grad
One step closer to communism...

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
I'm yet to see what this "freedom" would do to improve my life aside from the warm fuzzy feeling that says I am free. Ofcourse I am a weak little man in and in a free world would have no way of stopping the big kids picking on me so that fuzzy feeling wouldbe easilly beaten out.
Ever been to a private hospital?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)