Rules for Customers (1 Viewer)

kym999

HSC
RTTTYTR said:
A rule of thumb in customer management is that a dissatisfied customer will tell 20 people and a satisfied customer will tell 5. By ignoring the externalities of the bad word spread by a customer, one would be underestimating the cost of non-compliance to customer satisfaction.
Hmmmm. yeh, ive heard that a million times.

I ignore rude customers and try an get on with it, but really, it doesnt matter whether 5000 or 5 people shop where i work - i still get paid the same!

What you're talking about is a problem for the business owners, not the staff.

Evilo

HSC
RTTTYTR said:
A rule of thumb in customer management is that a dissatisfied customer will tell 20 people and a satisfied customer will tell 5. By ignoring the externalities of the bad word spread by a customer, one would be underestimating the cost of non-compliance to customer satisfaction.
pfft my mum might have an argument once a year at coles, but she still shops there for the other 354 days (and doesnt whinge to her friends). woolies is only a little bit further away, but she prefers coles :p

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
kym999 said:
Hmmmm. yeh, ive heard that a million times.

I ignore rude customers and try an get on with it, but really, it doesnt matter whether 5000 or 5 people shop where i work - i still get paid the same!

What you're talking about is a problem for the business owners, not the staff.
what is a problem for the owner, will become a problem for the staff. staff are hired to handle the problems. you really ought to think one step further.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
If there's a problem with your drink, and you take it and walk away, how are we supposed to know there's a problem? If you don't give us a chance to fix it, how can you complain to head office? Chances are you've picked up the wrong person's drink, and just assumed that it's yours. If it's clearly wrong, say something. It'll take a minute to fix and you can leave happy. Stupid.

Also, if you order a size that DOES NOT EXIST, don't be surprised if you don't get the size you wanted. I've had people say to me at pour-up "But I ordered a regular!". Please point to the cup labelled "regular" on the size display. Oh, you can't. Because there isn't one. The names of the sizes are on a display and the menus. Use the correct word and save everyone the confusion. Stupid.

Also, it's great when you complain about stuff we can't change. Like when the juicer breaks down and we have to wait for a part to fix it. We can't use the juicer without ruining it, but apparently we damn well should. Also, when the fridge dies on saturday and we arrive at work on monday to a fridge full of spoiled fruit, we should just be able to pull fresh fruit out of our ass for your convenience. We'd love it if everything worked properly all the time, but it doesn't. Why can't you just deal with it? Oh noes, no juice! I might just have to kill myself now.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
I love this thread.

Had a dude call me yesterday having a problem printing from some software and then he started up a whinge about how with his new laptop (which I personally set up and installed the software on) there isn't a specific module for the clinical software we run. I explained that we only install the three most common modules before sending a laptop out, and he continued whining about how I'd not installed the latest version. Very rude. If there's one thing I hate hate HATE is people calling me incompetent when I know damn well I've done the right thing.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Listen here, you whinging git.

I made that drink myself, and it is perfect. Followed the recipe to the gram. That is how it is supposed to taste. If you want extra fruit or less yogurt you have to say so AT REGISTER or else I'll make the drink to the recipe. You've complained to me before and I think the problem is that you don't like flavoured yogurt, yet you KEEP ORDERING THINGS WITH YOGURT IN THEM. You stupid, stupid man.

I know what I'm doing, and you most certainly do not know better. I've told my boss that you're probably going to complain, so don't expect any sympathy if you call her.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
do NOT, EVER try to sell me something when i'm at work.

seriously, today, some guy came in and tries to sell me some crap.

luckily the liquor act allows me to kick out anybody who tries to sell any goods on the premises so i did

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
well, that was one for the customers, wasn't it?

though it must be said, you and i chose to kick people off the premises, and it solved the problem real quick and smart.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
wuddie said:
well, that was one for the customers, wasn't it?

though it must be said, you and i chose to kick people off the premises, and it solved the problem real quick and smart.
That wasn't a customer though it was a hawker.

There is a difference between the two. The former is someone you need in order to keep your business running, the latter is not going to do anything for you.

Lizakith

Go go gadget spleen!
HSC
townie said:
do NOT, EVER try to sell me something when i'm at work.

seriously, today, some guy came in and tries to sell me some crap.

luckily the liquor act allows me to kick out anybody who tries to sell any goods on the premises so i did
I've had a telemarketer call me at work...on our servicedesk number...I hung up on him.

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
If the cash register is jammed and I'm fixing it, Don't scream at me while I'm trying to fix it. It's not my fault that it got jammed. If anything, take your anger out on the cash register.

Generally I can't stand impatient customers who:
1) click their money or cards on the counter
2) respond to my greetings with a grunt/frown
3) snatch

greekgun

HSC
These rules crack me up, their quite funny.

Anyway here are my rules
1- Dont scan ur flybys 20 or so times and ignore the beeping sound and then have the nerve to ask "has it gone through?"

2- Tell ur stupid kids to stop swinging off the register so i can concentrate on scanning UR item, if it takes u longer than 30 secs to tell them off i will give ur kids a back hander and ask "do u want a fresh one?"

3- Do not tell me to hurry up when im the only one working on the express and the line is getting bigger evry second, i havent got 12 hand, so shut up or ill charge u double.

4- Do not try and rip me off into thinking i gave u the wrong change, after working at coles for 7 months at Northland, i can know ur about to scam me before u do.

5- Do not come to the express lane with a trolly full of stuff and be pissed off when i say this lane is if you have 12 items or less, and if u do not leave i will hit u. AND dont try to break ur trolly up into 12 items and put them under seperate transactions after i told u off for having a trolly full of stuff...i will just hit u harder.

6- If u see a closed sign up, DO NOT come up to me and ask if im open, futher more if u ignore me and start unpacking ur stuff, i will wait untill ur finish packing, log off the register, put 2 trollies in the isle so u cant get out and walk away.

CieL

HSC
^ That's what happens when you let your customers run all over you.

When you are working at the front end, YOU are in charge of your area.

I often tell the customers to stop tapping their coins/cards on the counter, tell them to unload their own baskets, tell the kids to be quiet, tell the kids to stop touching my fucking finger sponge, tell them their FBs has been processed through, etc..

I always ask politely the first time, not so politely if they dont get the point.
If they stop bugging me after I ask them once, I will thank them twice and/or compliment them to reinforce good behaviour.

So the longer I work, I have several frequent customers which will line up in my line only. And it's those customers which appreciate my service and know I appreciate them as customers. With time, I have less and less problematic people and frequently have customers which thank me several times, go out of their way to put their baskets away, knowingly unload their baskets, and generally just do the right things..

Last edited:

greekgun

HSC
^ Trust me, there is no control at our coles wat so ever. All shops are like that at Heidelberg. After a month or so of telling the customer nicely to tell their kids to be quiet etc u just give up and start to be smart to them. Thats the way it is at Heidelberg.

Pilotdude

HSC
RabbitRabbit said:
If the cash register is jammed and I'm fixing it, Don't scream at me while I'm trying to fix it. It's not my fault that it got jammed. If anything, take your anger out on the cash register.

Generally I can't stand impatient customers who:
1) click their money or cards on the counter
2) respond to my greetings with a grunt/frown
3) snatch
Hate all the above, or people who knock. STOP FUCKING KNOCKING it aint gonna make me go faster, i will slow down on purpose or may and go have to check a bell hahaha

Express has 4 signs saying 15 items or less, if you cannot see them you need glasses and dont accuse me of having an attitude problem when i have 2 staff on express and its the tea time rush and you have to be somewhere in 10 minutes and we are refusing to serve an overflowing trolley in express.

Dont point at cigarettes, they have covers over them

We cant sell cigarettes at big reg's or express as it is against the law, we arent licenced to sell them out there, hence why our licence is displayed in the smokeshop..........fucktard dont abuse me, ill give it back

Shut your fucking kids up, i dont come to work to listen to the little cunts scream their lungs out especially when im serving you, parents should have put down the kids at birth if they cant control them.

Small story:
Kid comes in (he's only 17, used to work for us) trys to buy cigarettes, we refuse. His dad comes in screaming and yelling at us for not selling cigarettes to his underage son. He trys to buy cigarettes and we refuse service to him. Then he threatens to sue the company and me and the duty manager personally for damages ahahaha you are a fucking idiot, he was underage and its the law for us to refuse service if you are buying for underage people.

If your kid pisses their pants all over the front of the store and it has a trail from the milk to the checkout, im not cleaning it up. You can deman a manager all you want but he's gonna make you clean your kids piss up fucking yuck.

Dont return your 30 dollar ham and tell me that 26 days isnt enough to eat it and go on and on and on and on about how your meat is always gross from us, out of the 200,000 dollars of meat we sell a week only 400 bucks worth comes back to be refunded.

Dont expect me to check your WHOLE fucking reciept of groceries because its a little bit dearer than it should be, when i refuse dont get shitty. I have other shit to deal with and im the only supervisor/s/shop operator and i cant check it all.

The price under the razors is the correct price not the price 4 items along and no you cant have it at that price because thats what you though it said, and no it isnt false advertising because nothing was falsely advertised........

Out the back isnt some magical milky way we just click our fingers and stock appears, and dont ask stupid questions when we are getting more of spices in, when ever our rep comes and fixes the planogram is when it will go on display.

Dont sulk because i wont sell you an item that has been recalled, you moron its against the law. Call my manager, what are they going to do??

Rant over-feel much better now lol

J

jhakka

Big W selling books at 30% below recommended retail price is not grounds for meeting competitors prices. If it is their policy, it does not count as a sale or advertised price. We are a bookshop, not a discount department store. We make money off books, CDs, DVDs, etc. There are no DVD players, TVs, whitegoods, horrible clothing or large packets of chips for us to make money from, therefore we charge something close to recommended retail price.

Oh, and to the completely different, and much nicer customer I had today: I do appreciate it when people tell my manager that I'm good at my job. Thank you for doing so (even though I know you're not reading this). :)

Last edited by a moderator:
HSC
jhakka said:
Oh, and to the completely different, and much nicer customer I had today: I do appreciate it when people tell my manager that I'm good at my job. Thank you for doing so (even though I know you're not reading this). :)
The same thing happened to me yesterday. A lovely couple, who were extremely pleasant when I served them, told my supervisor that I was friendly, efficient, and working extremely hard to clear the huge lines. For all of the customers who like to bitch about useless staff, there should be more customers like these two who compliment good service.

CieL

HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
In other words, treat them like children? :D
Unfortunately many mature aged adults have the mental capacity of small children.

I work around the corner dole bludger infested government housing.
Self explanatory.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)