Rules for Customers (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
-library cards generally dont have dates of births

-customers are lazy, and generally the young and fit ones tell u if they have a problem with their backs or something, or they ask politely

-we dont talk back to customers because we'd lose our jobs, we want to keep them, we need the money. even the managers bitch about the customers

-the customer is not always right, that is a myth. i dont need the customer, the customer needs me, otherwise they wouldnt come shopping here, they tend to forget that

CieL

HSC
townie said:
-customers are lazy, and generally the young and fit ones tell u if they have a problem with their backs or something, or they ask politely
Reminds me of some girl that came in when I opened the store.
I was the only service assitant at 6am, and she comes in, comes up to me and asks me where the eggs are. They're in the aisle right in front of her. She tells me to come with her, then tells me to take the eggs off the shelf for her.

I then had to make two trips from the egg section to my register's belt to get 6 cartons of eggs for her, whilst she watched me. She looked able-bodied.. she was young [looking 19, 20].. and she could carry the shopping bags full of eggs so I don't see why she couldnt of taken them off the shelf herself..

But one thing which did tick me off was that when I was giving her change and receipt back to her.. she didnt bother lifting her arms up to accept the change and receipt.

She made ME put her change and receipt in the plastic bags for her. WTF?
I think I was too shocked and confused about her behaviour that I obliged.

HSC
CieL said:
Reminds me of some girl that came in when I opened the store.
I was the only service assitant at 6am, and she comes in, comes up to me and asks me where the eggs are. They're in the aisle right in front of her. She tells me to come with her, then tells me to take the eggs off the shelf for her.

I then had to make two trips from the egg section to my register's belt to get 6 cartons of eggs for her, whilst she watched me. She looked able-bodied.. she was young [looking 19, 20].. and she could carry the shopping bags full of eggs so I don't see why she couldnt of taken them off the shelf herself..
Lol, reminds me of last week, my shift had just started and i was waiting at the service desk to be allocated a register when this lady comes up and starts asking where "invisible zinc" was. My dept manager said, oh, aisle one or two. The customer turned to me and said, what aisle is it...i said aisle one. so then she says to my manager, "can this nice young lady show me where this product is?" By this stage my manager is pissing himself laughing (as I'm not normally one he'd call a 'nice young lady'), so he lets me go.

Now I knew exactly where the invisible zinc was, and showed her. Then she wanted me to compare prices on the 300g and the 500g product. Eventually, this customer (who would have only been in her 40s and was perfectly capable) whips out list, and asks me to show her where every single item on it was.

By about the fourth item there's a call "Jessica can you please open on register seven for an express alert" - indicating that its urgent. But this lady, even though I indicated to her the laminated directories on the ends of the aisle and that I had been called back, asks for more items. At item seven, there's another call "All register trained staff to the service desk for an express alert". But I was now deciding whether or not a regular firelighter would work on a gas stove.

About fifteen minutes after this all began, I took her back to the service desk, still enquiring about the firelighter. Unfortunately, she wasn't very happy that we didnt sell the refils for them, and was even unhappier that "the unprofessional young fellow" (who happens to be by dept manager) was now helping her. I don't think he was particularly nice to her, because she walked off without the majority of the items on her list, although she did say "its nice to have a personal shopper, it doesnt happen very often these days". After the manager heard that he really pissed himself laughing.

I guess the moral of this long winded story is that customers should a) learn to read those directory things, and b) not expect someone to show you where every single item was.

And i suppose that its handy that my dept manager has an awesome sense of humour and wasnt unhappy that i never returned to open my register. What a shame.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
man you've put some serious effort into story telling. i'll take your side in this instance, just because that lady is a bit of a fken bitch. no doubt, if i were you i'd tell her to pick up those items herself and gone off to a register. it is not as if you' were cruising around trying to look busy. you have to speak up sometimes.

re townie- depends where you are at that point in time, if my local video store asks for a photo id, i'd give him my library card. but if it's for age verification, is it all that hard to ask for a driver's license? also, you are the one who needs the customers. they are the ones paying you. if your employer stops getting customers, would he still be employing you? no, i don't think so.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
scarybunny said:
http://www.somethingawful.com/d/comedy-goldmine/customer-always-an.php

No, customers are not always right. Although I've never had anyone this bad.
that's a very good site.

a huge discrepancy between those guys and you lot - they all took action in one way or another, and resolved the problem. you, my friends, tend to whinge on and on, but you never walk the talk. shame. read that site, give you some ideas of how to take action, instead of just mouthing off.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
wuddie said:
that's a very good site.

a huge discrepancy between those guys and you lot - they all took action in one way or another, and resolved the problem. you, my friends, tend to whinge on and on, but you never walk the talk. shame. read that site, give you some ideas of how to take action, instead of just mouthing off.
Haha I never have a witty comeback at the right moment.

patty4848

HSC
wuddie said:
what's wrong with a library card? because the photo is not in 10 megapixels?

how would you feel like it if you didn't get what you paid for, and then got accused of damaging the goods? you're a freaken moron man. the customer is ALWAYS right.

so did you tell the guy no? you didn't? why? no balls?

if you would like to keep your job, i suggest you do it and don't be such a bitch about it. maybe that's why he's on the other side of the counter. how do you know the guy doesn't have a back problem? you, sir, are the lazy bugger here.
Dude have you even worked before!!!. Firstly library cards have nothing more than a name and a barcode where i come from. That is not ID!!! It could be anyone's bloody library card! And we don't do it for the photo usually, we do it for the DOB!
And you obviously have never worked for the video store because we always checked the discs when we give them out! If there is a scratch or a smudge, we clean it...GET IT?

And with the paint guy, of course I didn't tell him, because i wanted to KEEP MY JOB! So when you work (if you do), do you just go telling the customers that you won't do anything for them! That makes you LAZY!
And its a freakin can of paint! who gets back pains carrying something that is like 4kgs!. Gosh you are thick!

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
ahahaha fire up kids.

to the video store dude - i certainly have never seen the video store people check every dvd they rent out to see if they are scratched. nor do i expect them to. if you insist you do it, tell me where you work and i'll come rent a few dvds one day. if i so much as to see a single scratch on them, i'll hold you responsible and you can pay for my rent. fair deal?

with the paint carrying issue, if you thought it wasn't necessary for you to carry the paint, then just tell the guy. say you have back problem as well. why couldn't you think on your feet instead of whinging about it?

i say customers are always right, under the circumstance that you don't have the balls to take the problem further (eg. tell your supervisor) and risk your job. the video guy is right, if you want your job, then just do as the customers have told you, unless you want to risk embarassing yourself and tell your superior.

lala2

Banned
HSC
^^I agree there with you, wuddie. You need the customer more than they need you, so they are always right, even if they are not. You need the customer to pay the money that goes towards your wages and keeping you employed, while they may not need you, and if they do, it's not something major like being employed.

fnkychk

HSC
N/A
If you take the phrase to mean that you do whatever the customer says, that's not right. Like when a customer gives you a $20 and complains when you give change that he gave you a $50. It doesn't make business sense to try to satisfy customers who cost more than they're worth. Whenever a customer says to you "the customer is always right" it's because they're trying to get more than they should, usually by lying or having a fit.

If you take the phrase to mean that you treat the customer with respect, then yes that makes sense.

As if you're risking your job by (respectfully) not taking shit from customers, unless you work in a workplace that doesn't have respect for its employees and in that case you're better off elsewhere.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
it's always good to post here after me shift, makes me feel motivated to write about my work.

'the customer is always right' - i thought the obvious things (like arguing about what the customers gave you in notes) were assumed, but clearly i have mistaken the iq of some of us here. so i'll clarify that. yes, if common sense tells you the customer is wrong, then say 'no sir/ma'm, i don't think so.' and proceed.

on the other hand, if you have a controversial issue on your hands (which was what we are debating about), then you may as well go with the flow, unless you are 100% confident your boss will back you up. as a rule of thumb, it is easier for you to do what the customer asks, rather than wasting your boss' time.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
our policy is

"the customer is always right.....as long as what they think they're right about complies with company policy, what we think is right"

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah it's like

"the customer is always right. Unless they're wrong. Then I'll politely argue with them until they either realise they're wrong or storm out of the shop"

Most of the time, when a customer is wrong it only takes a simple, polite explanation before they realise it. If they start to argue I'm not going to back down just because they're a customer. Usually it's about something I can't even control, like double discounts. The computer won't let me do it, so you're WRONG if you think you're entitled to two discounts.

Also, the receipt isn't wrong and whatever size is on the receipt is what you paid for. I'll fix it anyway because I'm nice. I think a lot of confusion comes from sizes. People like to order "small" and "regular" smoothies, even though no such sizes exist and the terms could be applied to more than one size.

Actually on that, don't get angry at the obviously new kids. Yes, they're going to make mistakes, but this is how they'll learn. Give them a break.

kym999

HSC
My works rules... (im a supervisor these days)

Rule 1. - The supervisor is always right.
Rule 2. - When the supervisor is wrong... Refer to rule 1.

The End!

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Customers always believe the supervisor though

But they don't know who the supervisor is, so I figured out they'll believe anything as long as they're told by someone other than the person serving them at the time :D

Evilo

HSC
Ooooo i agree - there was an asian woman who ripped into me when she read her reciept and it said "paid by eftpos". She argued with me for ages that she paid on credit, not eftpos and she wanted her money back

Though i clearly stated 3 times that the machine's name! is called EFTPOS (Electronic Fund Transfer at Point Of Sale)!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway my mate confirmed it and she left the store happy - but this mate of mine was exactly my age. FFS people get "ancy" (sp?) about nothing.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
errr. I don't know what type of video store this person works for. but there's no possible way you can clean every dvd that comes in and out of the store! you can clean smudges, dust etc reasonably easily but it would still take up waaaaay too much time to do it with every dvd. as for scratches, they have to be pretty bad to seriously effect how a disc plays and there is NO WAY you polish off every single scratch that discs may accrue considering that the disc doctor takes like 10-20 mins/disc and needs to be watched as it's going. so basically unless you get 3 customers a night, you are full of shit.
for the record, in my experience, a good 85% of the problem dvds people bring back are because the discs are dirty, not scratched.

as to the photo i.d. - okay again i'm confused, why the fuck are you checking photo i.d. for dob? seriously either they're over 18 and can hire R movies or they can't, it's pretty simple to tell, and if they're over 18 chances are it's their account anyway.
the reason we check photo i.d. is either they've forgotten the password (i'm pretty lazy about passwords tbh) or they're joining up. the main reason we need to see photo i.d. is to help confirm addresses which IS important because we need that shit in case people don't return stuff and run up huge debts which happens heaps. but yeah maybe other stores are just stricter than mine but i don't understand why you would be consistently checking photo i.d. for dob anyway...? and if they're <15/18 to begin with they're likely to not even have any? :s

speaking of the video store, fuck people are stupid about late fees.

first of all, no you didn't pay it at the time, because if you did it wouldn't be in the system anymore. end of story. it's not that i'm refusing to admit that we made a mistake, it's that it literally cannot happen with video minder. seriously.

secondly - i know you paid off a bunch of late fees yesterday because i was the one who served you and gave you a deal (even though i didn't have to). but why exactly would that have encompassed movies you hadn't returned yet? ie why the fuck would you think that you wouldn't have late fees on the 6day overdue new release you returned today? late fees do not appear in your account until after you've returned the movie, i honestly don't see what is so hard to grasp about that.

thirdly - and to the man who claimed he 'didn't know' he would get fined for keeping a movie over 30 days over its due date - despite the multiple phone calls saying pretty much exactly that - you're retarded and i hate you.

but on the whole i love my store :)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
wuddie said:
how would you feel like it if you didn't get what you paid for, and then got accused of damaging the goods? you're a freaken moron man. the customer is ALWAYS right.

just further on this, not that every customer does this, but we get a pretty significant amount of customers who do shit like take movies out for well long enough to watch them and then come back and say 'no, it doesn't work, i already watched half of it, i want a different movie'. not once, but multiple times. so i would never flat out accuse a customer of doing damage without some actual evidence to the contrary but there's a reason we may be wary of just accepting that the disc is fucked. granted we note it down in their account if someone is a repeat offender.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)